Birds in your garden

Garden birds around feeders

• Total voters
Got a lot of snow today in Kent, England. First lot like this in 7 years. My mate Robin (and all wildlife) was finding hard to get food. I filled all our bird feeders up, and some. This Robin still prefers to take food out my hand though :)

Cold Feet by Skyline:), on Flickr

Got a lot of snow today in Kent, England. First lot like this in 7 years. My mate Robin (and all wildlife) was finding hard to get food. I filled all our bird feeders up, and some. This Robin still prefers to take food out my hand though :)

Cold Feet by Skyline:), on Flickr
Great shot.
That's this year's Christmas cards sorted for you...

Yay, the Goldies have returned !!

It may only be a grab shot through the double glazing, but they're back in the garden....

Goldie1 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Looks way over sharpened here, but looks fine on my monitor....

Last edited:
Small flock of fieldfares arrived to see what was on the menu

Panasonic GX80 , 100-300MM MKII

Snuck this one earlier @iso 12800 through a dirty window and a huge crop but I like it.
D750 and Tamron 70-300

9285AAC1-7FA5-420D-935E-43C49F85DA1E.jpeg

As posted on the other thread, the redwings are to skittish to capture, but he robins are feeding well
img_8004-jpg.121347

Then other birds have found the bread feeder and I've put out some chopped apple also
img_8022-jpg.121346

Had a "Lesser Spotted Car Park Bird" in the garden today, feeding on the scraps the other birds have dropped from the feeders.

Apologies for the quality - through the double glazing in poor light @ ISO6400

Pied Wagtail 1 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Having to shoot through the windows at the moment

Blue tits have found the feeders
img_8076-jpg.121476

The sparrows are enjoying the puddles out front
img_8085-jpg.121473

And my female blackbird is always around now, with a male friend
img_8065-jpg.121474

I first put my feeders up in November. The already resident sparrows, starlings, blue tits and even wood pigeons took advantage, but it took until last week for them to attract a new species into my garden when 2 or 3 goldfinches suddenly turned up.

Wanted to get some pictures of them but despite it being a murky one this morning and my windows being a bit mucky I took my chance this morning - hopefully I will get the chance to get some better ones in future if they keep coming.

Didn't have the nyjer seeds up until they came, I put them up a couple of days ago but they seem to appreciate them.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/76999116@N05/

And the sparrows are getting into it as well, which is nice as we have quite a large sparrow population
IMG_8236.jpg

We had an unusual visitor during the snow - a Woodcock. Definitely a first for us. It was looking for food in the undergrowth for a couple of minutes, then flew off. I managed to put my camera together and got this

@JayJay nice photos there. Down my way we have about 6 collared doves that visit the garden. However, there is one that is an absolute bully. Have you observed any such behaviour with the ones that visit your place?

@JayJay nice photos there. Down my way we have about 6 collared doves that visit the garden. However, there is one that is an absolute bully. Have you observed any such behaviour with the ones that visit your place?

Thanks David.

No I can't say I have.

The sparrows certainly don't care about the dove's presence. A couple of seconds after the above shot, one dropped in to share the feeder.

I don't think I've seen more than 1 or 2 at once, so maybe that's the reason for the lack of friction?

Not the biggest bird to visit my feeders either - we get some woodpigeons as well.

Last edited:
I've just seen the Robins young today. Heavy rain today so hopefully I'll get a picture of them tomorrow :)

Back