Birds in your garden

Garden birds around feeders

• Total voters
These fellows disappeared for a while (months actually) but we had five the other day :)

BLC_5457 by Barry Cant, on Flickr

Last edited:
Starlings have been pretty sparse around here, the last few years, I was pleased to see that there were about 30, all youngsters, fighting over the fat balls
this evening, looks like they had a good breeding season (y)

Starlings have been pretty sparse around here, the last few years, I was pleased to see that there were about 30, all youngsters, fighting over the fat balls
this evening, looks like they had a good breeding season (y)

Really feisty young starlings in my garden this spring. They'll fight the adults off the half coconut feeder.

I've stopped putting out suet blocks and mealworms as the startlings just raid it.
For the first time I saw a goldfinch on the lawn a couple weeks ago and under the advice of my girlfriend I've added niger seed and sunflower hearts to my feeder station and I've not seen it since:rolleyes:
I've had a lot of juvinile sparrows and the pigeons (along with my dog) hoover up the seed the others throw over the lawn.

I've stopped putting out suet blocks and mealworms as the startlings just raid it.
As above happy to let them (y)

I've had a lot of juvinile sparrows and the pigeons (along with my dog) hoover up the seed the others throw over the lawn.
I started ground feeding back in the harsh winter, from a trough at the base of the feeder hangers and a cleared of snow, paving slab. Very soon I had collected a colony of feral pigeons, numbering 30 plus!
So that stopped, I've now found a way of feeding the ground feeders without all the damned flying rats.

Sunflower hearts in among the small fern area ( its a damp shady patch that nothing grew in previously) The Sparrows etc soon figured it out and can feed quite happily,
I still get woodies that figured out how to use the hanging feeders though :rolleyes:

I saw a goldfinch
I saw half a dozen once this year, they flocked in drank from the pond, and I never saw them again! not even a thanks for the water!
How rude :D

Never saw goldfinches here until they suddenly turned up on my sunflower hearts one day last November, and they kept coming daily ever since Usually just a couple but have had up to 6 at a time. Added a nijer seed feeder soon after which they seem to appreciate as well as the sunflower hearts.

Added a nijer seed feeder soon after which they seem to appreciate as well as the sunflower hearts.
Nothing seems to touch the Niger seeds, although I also have green finches occasionally, scratching around.

Try dried Sun Flower seeds instead, birds go crazy for them
Cheers BAz, they are fond of the hearts but no so much the whole seed.

Yes lots of birds like sunflower hearts - including goldfinch - but not many eat the niger seeds - not ones that visit my garden anyway. I haven't seen anything else eat mine except the goldfinches.

This is one the offspring of the Robin we had in our garden in spring. It's now grown and has started to take food from the hand. It was hesitant at first but now happily sits next to me or jumps up on my hand to take a tasty snack :)

Hi, I am new here - this my first posting, trying to upload a picture. Sorry, ... But I need 3 posts

Last edited:
FRESHLY FLEDGED ROBIN by Robin Procter, on Flickr

FRESHLY FLEDGED ROBIN

In the rough stuff of my wildlife garden. Robins regularly nest in my garden in Dorset UK.

This was taken back in May 2015 and just processed now in 2019!! I am having a clear out to make room for more photos.

Camera details on Flickr - Just click the pic.

Had a Blackcap in the garden this morning. I won't post the only picture I got though as he/she is just a blur.. Hopefully will show up on the feeders tomorrow. Nice to know we have some winter residents in the neighbourhood.

Back