Birds in your garden

Garden birds around feeders

• Total voters
On Saturday we had a real treat (no pics unfortunately, gear was in the car). We had, Greater & Lesser Spotted woodpeckers and a Green woodpecker all at the same time! The Spotties were on 2 different nut feeders, and the juvenile Greenie was just below me as I was looking out of the window...

Add a Sparrowhawk later in the evening, and a Buzzard of all things in the front garden, it took our total species in the garden up to 26 in the 12 months we've been here...

I have a large garden with a pond and a few trees- I also live 6 metres from the River which helps

Les :)
I'm sure it does Les, but you still need to be there to take the great pictures you do. I'm down to blackbirds, sparrows and bloody wood pigeons now, even the tits have disappeared [emoji34]

I'm sure it does Les, but you still need to be there to take the great pictures you do. I'm down to blackbirds, sparrows and bloody wood pigeons now, even the tits have disappeared [emoji34]

Then you need to get out there- I am a regular around the Somerset Levels ( Google it) I only shoot in my garden if I home, awaiting a delivery or something
which is quite often :) my flickr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/184767280@N02/

Sparrows do make nice subjects - I often photograph them in my garden and around the area

more often the birds are frightened away by my resident Grey Squirrel- who I do capture on a regular basis

DSC02176 I'll just have a sip by Les Moxon, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
Then you need to get out there- I am a regular around the Somerset Levels ( Google it) I only shoot in my garden if I home, awaiting a delivery or something
which is quite often :) my flickr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/184767280@N02/

Sparrows do make nice subjects - I often photograph them in my garden and around the area

more often the birds are frightened away by my resident Grey Squirrel- who I do capture on a regular basis

DSC02176 I'll just have a sip by Les Moxon, on Flickr

Out of interest Les, is that pond at ground level, or have you built it up ?

I'm considering building a pond above ground level in my garden, mainly so I can get easier reflection images. Due to an old knee injury and an ongoing back complaint, I don't bend that easily these days...

Out of interest Les, is that pond at ground level, or have you built it up ?

I'm considering building a pond above ground level in my garden, mainly so I can get easier reflection images. Due to an old knee injury and an ongoing back complaint, I don't bend that easily these days...

Its raised about 1 metre - my garden at the back does slope up - so an easy build- the benefit being I can sit with the Back door open and shoot, whilst having coffee :)

Les

---- the benefit being I can sit with the Back door open and shoot, whilst having coffee ...Les...

. Due to an old knee injury and an ongoing back complaint, I don't bend that easily these days...

Lez do you sit at an open door - i would have to as the tree/feeders are at an angle - do you use camo netting..?

Jelster ditto so sitting is my best choice - but see above,............

for years I have put out peanuts, nigger seeds, dehusked sunflower seeds
I used to get plenty of siskin, a woodpecker, 2 tame collared doves, but no more......:(
still plenty of sparrows, coal tits, blue tits, gold finches but its defo dropped off

I see in many feeders pictured here there is a large % of barley and pink kibble.....(n)
the RSPB state;
''... Wheat and barley grains are often included in seed mixtures, but they're really only suitable for pigeons, doves and pheasants, which feed on the ground and rapidly increase in numbers, frequently deterring the smaller species ..''

just saying...!

No I don't use camo John- just sit well back from the door fella :) and my pond attracts a lot of birds and that is and knee level, so sat in my kitchen
is the perfect height

for things like this: Rook sat on my post watching the garden

DSC00583 by Les Moxon, on Flickr

I do use camo when I'm out on the Levels of course

Les

Last edited by a moderator:
No I don't use camo John- just sit well back from the door fella

I do use camo when I'm out on the Levels of course.........Les...

that's my problem - to view the feeding station in the tree i would have to sit at the doorway opening
hence the idea of a camo sheet

on the Levels - a gillie suit or a pop-up hide..?

that's my problem - to view the feeding station in the tree i would have to sit at the doorway opening
hence the idea of a camo sheet

on the Levels - a gillie suit or a pop-up hide..?

I use both - Not quite a Ghillie suit but Real Tree advantage

like this

mkrnu4X.jpg

and I bought this hide for difficult to get wildlife

82fcYC2.jpg

from here- https://wildlifewatchingsupplies.co...-accessories-1/products/c30-1-large-dome-hide

hope this helps ?

I use both - Not quite a Ghillie suit but Real Tree advantage
hope this helps ?.................Les :)..

that suit is brilliant...wish i had one when i shot ducks in Manitoba

the link gave me an idea...... (y)
the birds are used to the car parked close by - a blanket covering the windscreen in the sun doesn't faze them
so sitting in the car with a camo net over the side window maybe the answer
..like this (but smaller)
tn_52fkptuzxcamo net sn.jpg

thanks

Last edited:
Right mixed bag today from a friends rather large garden ! I am trying to improve BIF. It's a long journey.. to try and match some of the experts pictures, but good fun !

kestral 00.jpgBIF 00.jpggoldfinch 00.jpg

that suit is brilliant...wish i had one when i shot ducks in Manitoba

the link gave me an idea...... (y)
the birds are used to the car parked close by - a blanket covering the windscreen in the sun doesn't faze them
so sitting in the car with a camo net over the side window maybe the answer
..like this (but smaller)
View attachment 288679

thanks

That would work, I've had some of my best encounters sat in my Landrover with a camo net like the one in your image

here is that very encounter - very cold and grey day, he appeared by a feeder and I had him :)

Stoat @ Greylake by Les Moxon, on Flickr

Apologies for the less than mediocre image but it was a grab shot before they (there were four of them) flew away and I didn't dare open the back door so had to shoot through the glass.

Can someone tell me what bird this is, please?

DSC_2953_crop-sharpen.jpg

Looks like a female blackbird to me. I'm no expert though . . .

Look a little green to me- what WB settings were you using?

Hi Les. :) Yeah, someone else said the exact same thing. I guess I'm bad at seeing or perceiving some colours, I still can't see it in the bird, it's just the background that looks green to me. Apparently I'm red green colour blind though which is probably why. My white balance is always set to auto in the camera but I think I adjusted the temp and/or tint in lightroom and that probably made it green. Your starling looks great! I don't know if I ever had them in my garden.

Last edited:
Back