Birds of Prey

Name
Alison
Edit My Images
No
Went to the International Centre of Birds of Prey at Newent yesterday. First visit there, was a good day out.

I'm still really new to birding and, my IDing skills aren't great (nor my memory) so if you guys could help me out with IDing some of the birds I'd be grateful.

These were taken with a Nikon D7000 + 300mm f4. Some used a teleconverter (TC-14e) .

1. I believe this is a Harris Hawk?
f/4, ISO-800, 1/2000 sec
17245326586_ffd1fff003_c.jpg

2. Indian Eagle Owl - Sadly light was dropping by this time so had to up ISO hense the noise :/
f5.6, ISO-1600 and 1/1600 with TC
17085466549_95913342e3_c.jpg

3. f/4, ISO-500, 1/1600.

17089800509_81783c69eb_c.jpg

4. F/9, 1/1000 sec, ISO-500.
DSC_4616.jpg

5. f/9, 1/1000sec, iso-500
DSC_4588.jpg

No 1 - I really like this capture with the feet out, the bill looks really heavy for a Harris Hawk, but it might be the angle.

I think the first is a White Tailed Sea Eagle - I cant see list of their birds on the website.

Thanks both for the help. The bill is quite big so I think you are right Alan.

I was hoping for a list on their site. I'm now kicking myself for not photographing the list of birds on display. My fault for presuming there would be a list of birds on their site. Maybe I'll tweet it at them and hope they let me know.

Does anyone know what number is 4 by any chance?

I forgot about Zootierliste which is a good resource for zoos and birdie places.
3, 4 & 5 all look the same to me and look as much like a buzzard as anything else, but it's not on the list, although it might be a Black Kite, but I'm just guessing ;)

You might also have got better response putting this in the 'captive' section

Last edited:
1. I believe this is a Harris Hawk?

f/4, ISO-800, 1/2000 sec
17245326586_ffd1fff003_c.jpg

....Not a Harris Hawk but an immature Stellar's Sea Eagle with that distinctive beak < I think! But it could be a White-tailed Sea Eagle. @new2me - I think you are probably right.

All very good captures though.

Last edited:
I forgot about Zootierliste which is a good resource for zoos and birdie places.
3, 4 & 5 all look the same to me and look as much like a buzzard as anything else, but it's not on the list, although it might be a Black Kite, but I'm just guessing ;)

You might also have got better response putting this in the 'captive' section

Thanks for the help.

I did think of posting them in captive but as they're birds and my posts tend to be ignored over there, I figured I'd try here for a change.

my posts tend to be ignored over there, I figured I'd try here for a change.
I think some people would rather be ignored, than receive the mauling they can get in here :D

True :p Did see some maulings going on. But I think all my photos are awful and everyone will hate them so any maulings are expected :p

....There's a difference between maulings and constructive criticism but certainly some members are somewhat blunt and can seem abrasive in their comments. However, I have still learnt a lot about improving my photography by simply listening and viewing people's comments objectively.

Don't beat yourself up - It's healthy to be self-critical but your photos are NOT "all awful" !! As with all of us, some are better than others. :)

....There's a difference between maulings and constructive criticism but certainly some members are somewhat blunt and can seem abrasive in their comments. However, I have still learnt a lot about improving my photography by simply listening and viewing people's comments objectively.

Don't beat yourself up - It's healthy to be self-critical but your photos are NOT "all awful" !! As with all of us, some are better than others. :)

Yeah there is, but I've had so many over the years for different reasons (mostly not actually to do with the photos themselves) that I've came to accept they happen and to take everything said with a pinch of salt. Even in a mauling there is sometimes something to be learned. But some of the maulings on here (and any other site) are quite extreme and if people aren't used to it, It can be hard to not take offense.

and thanks, I find it hard not to be self-critical as all I see are the flaws :p But I'm learning to accept that stuff is alright, a few years ago I would never post on somewhere like this.

I find it hard not to be self-critical as all I see are the flaws :p But I'm learning to accept that stuff is alright, a few years ago I would never post on somewhere like this.

....It's important to be self-critical and recognise the flaws whether pointed out by someone else or not, but it's equally important to recognise the aspects of an image you got right.

Some folks on TP tend to be a bit macho and unecessarily sarcastic but that's their problem, not yours, and it's just how people are.

Back