Captive Birdworld, Farnham

Edit My Images
No
A few shots from a visit to Birdworld in Farnham, Surrey last weekend.

Taken with a Canon Powershot SX530 HS Bridge Camera

45OhRFe.jpg

OXXxcs5.jpg

uQE4XQJ.jpg

INm79CN.jpg

HAuCwqQ.jpg

xE9Ud3S.jpg

If I read your shots correctly (if you focused on the eyes)
either your focus (AF?) is too far to the front or the focus
point is not properly aligned to the focus cell.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure what that means though as I'm a bit of a novice. The shots were taken with autofocus and I didn't particularly intend to focus on the eyes, I just tried to get the main subject in focus, which I seem to have done. What's the impact of the focus being too far to the front or the focus point not being properly aligned to the focus cell? Thanks.

I didn't particularly intend to focus on the eyes

That maybe well be it!

To exclude any/all possible margin of error,
test your gear "particularly intending" to focus
precisely on some parts of different subjects.

And what should I be looking for? Thanks.

With my cameras, I make sure that the focus point
is right where it should be… an eye or any part of
a subject determined to attract viewer's attention to.

What Daniel means is that close up birds and animals usually make a better image if the focus is on the nearest eye, even if the whole body is not in focus. What you will get in focus (depth of field) depends on how close you are to the subject and the aperture the lens is using. I'll confess to knowing nothing about bridge cameras but this is a good excuse for you to learn how your camera really works and how you can make it do what you want it to do, rather than what it thinks you want to do. Just don't try to learn everything all at once - take it one step at a time, get out there and practice. If your camera has focus points and you can select which one to use, that's the way to tackle this type of subject.

Thanks Janny, I think I get it now.What you're suggesting isn't what I was trying to do as I wanted the whole bird in the foreground in focus, so you can see the detail of the bird's head as well as the texture of the feathers on the body, rather than just the head in focus and the rest out. It hadn't really occurred to me to try and get just the head/eye in focus but it's something I'll look to try in the future. I'm not sure my camera has focus points but it's certainly something I'll look into. Thanks.

Back