Birmingham Bull ring with a 35mm lens

• Thread starter Deleted member 34016
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 34016

I had an hour to spare whilst visiting family - so I nipped in to the Centre to see whats what - I was moved on by the Security monkeys- as apparently taking Photographs around the Bull Ring poses a Terrorist threat ( I kid you not) :exit:

I did suggest to them - (I say them as there were 4) - that if it was illegal what I was doing, then perhaps they should call the Police and I would wait for their arrival and we could then argue about the legality of shooting (photographically speaking), in a public place, they declined my offer, funny that!

I moved on for the sake of peace and harmony :)

Sony a77 Mk2 and a Sony 35mm f1.8 lens

BM6 by Les Moxon, on Flickr

BM5 by Les Moxon, on Flickr

BM4 by Les Moxon, on Flickr

BM3 by Les Moxon, on Flickr

BM2 by Les Moxon, on Flickr

BM1 by Les Moxon, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

Les :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like you're well armed with where to plant your bombs now then :D

Great shots by the way - if we're allowed to use the word 'shots' without raising the threat level

The bull is a great bit of sculpture, but the space around it is obviously devoid of folk as they presumably saw you for the threat you are and ran off?

Dave

Looks like you're well armed with where to plant your bombs now then :D

Great shots by the way - if we're allowed to use the word 'shots' without raising the threat level

The bull is a great bit of sculpture, but the space around it is obviously devoid of folk as they presumably saw you for the threat you are and ran off?

Dave

Thanks Dave- it was a tense few minutes lol- the Bull shot was taken at 0700 - hence no people

Les

Last edited by a moderator:
Love them all, great lighting,the bull is excellent.:)

Spent quite a bit of time doing that spotty Bull Ring/Lewis's thingy... mostly wide angle. 10.5mm when I last went. I've never had any issues with security but maybe you stand out at 7 in the morning! :) So long as you are on public land you are ok, but increasingly many shopping streets particularly the exteriors around malls, shopping complexes are also part of private land so security can challenge you.

Good set Les and not a feather or a wing in sight (nor a 'jobsworth' for that matter) ... I also like the bull sculpture :)

Thanks Dave- it was a tense few minutes lol- the Bull shot was taken at 0700 - hence no people

Les

There you go then, this early & empty time was your mistake as its well known terrorists go to places when they are empty as they like to stand out and be obvious, none of that sneaky hiding in a crowd rubbish for today's mass murderer!

Bloody stupid isn't it

Dave

Love them all, great lighting,the bull is excellent.:)

Thank you- glad you liked it

Never liked going Birmingham, but you almost make it appealing. Nice set :)

I won't be going back, that's for sure, thank you for your comments

Spent quite a bit of time doing that spotty Bull Ring/Lewis's thingy... mostly wide angle. 10.5mm when I last went. I've never had any issues with security but maybe you stand out at 7 in the morning! :) So long as you are on public land you are ok, but increasingly many shopping streets particularly the exteriors around malls, shopping complexes are also part of private land so security can challenge you.

I am by Nature an early bird and I didnt try to break in anywhere- just stood around looking like I belonged it ISIS :)

Good set Les and not a feather or a wing in sight (nor a 'jobsworth' for that matter) ... I also like the bull sculpture :)

Thanbk you Roger, just thought I'd try something outside my usual formats etc

There you go then, this early & empty time was your mistake as its well known terrorists go to places when they are empty as they like to stand out and be obvious, none of that sneaky hiding in a crowd rubbish for today's mass murderer!

Bloody stupid isn't it

Dave

Oh yes dave- it certainly is :) :)

Thanks again all

Les

Great set Les, the bull and the bowie poster are my favourites.

Cheers Steve - being a County boy, It would be rude not to include the Bull & the Bowie poster is actually Grafitti mate

Nice set Les. The Bull is ace. Like the dotty spotty exterior shots the best though.

Dotty Spotty? you certainly have a way with words David

Les

The Bull Ring security have annoyed me on a couple of occasions. Their terms do say "no photography" as it is private property but they are extremely rude about it and surely thousands of selfies are taken every day there.

The Bull Ring security have annoyed me on a couple of occasions. Their terms do say "no photography" as it is private property but they are extremely rude about it and surely thousands of selfies are taken every day there.

The annoying thing was they did NOT stop my wife taking photos with her iPhone- when I asked why, the response was, its not a professional camera like your- I responded with " DO YOU THINK TERRORISTS WOULD BE USING A BLATANTLY OBVIOUS CAMERA LIKE MINE- OR A MORE SUBTLE ONE LIKE AN IPHONE?" I of course did not get a reply

My advice - steer clear of the Bull Ring with a Professional looking DSLR

Les

Love number 4 and 6. Number 2 for me is too common. I took the exact same pic, and had it canvassed for my mum.

Love them

Love number 4 and 6. Number 2 for me is too common. I took the exact same pic, and had it canvassed for my mum.

Love them

Too common yes I agree- but as I was there it wold be rude not to shoot the Bull, plus it annoyed the Security guards

Like them all but #4 is my favourite, loving all the different reflections and angles of surfaces.

Thats the Railway Station, does look a bit surreal

a great set that has been photographed many times.
love the bull

Thank you

Les :)

Some great shapes there! A lovely set of photos.
Shame you had some grief from the jobsworths though.
Private land owners do need to get over this photography thing though, it serves no purpose and is impossible to police imo.

A very nice set. 35mm focal length is my favourite for a walkaround lens.

I've has a few 'discussions' around London with security who don't really know the law. The only thing to do is move on and come back and try later.

some nice images there, great colours in #3

Thank you

Some great shapes there! A lovely set of photos.
Shame you had some grief from the jobsworths though.
Private land owners do need to get over this photography thing though, it serves no purpose and is impossible to police imo.

I agree- Im tried to exsplian- stopping me for taking Photographs was similar to trying to stop people looking at things lol

A very nice set. 35mm focal length is my favourite for a walkaround lens.

I've has a few 'discussions' around London with security who don't really know the law. The only thing to do is move on and come back and try later.

No they never do, that said I have had similar conversations with the Police too.

Thank you for your comments

Les

Thank you

I agree- Im tried to exsplian- stopping me for taking Photographs was similar to trying to stop people looking at things lol

No they never do, that said I have had similar conversations with the Police too.

Thank you for your comments

Les

If you haven't already seen it there's a nice little video on Youtube called Stand Your Ground where a group of photographers walked around London to test out security guards and the police on the rights of photographers.

If you haven't already seen it there's a nice little video on Youtube called Stand Your Ground where a group of photographers walked around London to test out security guards and the police on the rights of photographers.

Cheers Tim, I will have a look at that

Les

Back