Black 5 44871

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
No
One of the double headed black 5's on the Winter Cumbrian Mountain Express yesterday, head south on the west coast mainline....

Black 5 44871 by Martin Steele, on Flickr

The background really enhances this shot. They come into our region several times a year..(Great Western) and I've I been able to get a few nice shots.

Not for me sorry . wrong side for the wind as the exhaust is blowing down. Would prefer to see both locos in their setting.

Not for me sorry . wrong side for the wind as the exhaust is blowing down. Would prefer to see both locos in their setting.

I guess they'll be too small in the frame on this one taken the same day in the morning.... ;)

Ribblehead and Steam by Martin Steele, on Flickr

as per SNG60007's comments.. Always better to show the full rake if possible.sry

Shot at 400mm from about 300m away, I was never going to get the whole thing in, and never intended to. I took wide angle shots too, but the train was lost in the background at this location.

If that's the WCML what happened to the overhead wires!

Magically disappeared, no point in having steam trains on lines with overhead wires, it's not exactly 'fitting' for them, nor photogenic.

I like this one… but I think you hardly
opened the drawer of the histogram!

See PM!

PM has blown highlights and black shadows with lost detail in the viaduct. Without wanting to sound like an arse, please don't edit my images.

much better imho. tricky balancing act between getting the train in the shot and still being visible while also capturing the magnificent backdrop to this location. In general id say it works, and works very well. Id be tempted to experiment with crop and try and lose some of the grass foreground perhaps to close in on the locos a bit, but that's only my opinion which is worth squat

much better imho. tricky balancing act between getting the train in the shot and still being visible while also capturing the magnificent backdrop to this location. In general id say it works, and works very well. Id be tempted to experiment with crop and try and lose some of the grass foreground perhaps to close in on the locos a bit, but that's only my opinion which is worth squat

Thanks :) That was the shot I had in mind before I even left home, I'm a landscaper and wanted the steam train just to be part of a landscape shot. I have other shots from here taken on a longer lens too though, which I haven't even really processed yet :)

May I ask where you can check details of this type of train's timetables? Said I'd get my dad and my boy tickets on a steam train but can't find many details...

The one of Ribblehead is much , much better. The first has poor light and the cutting off of the second loco is a killer for me.

Magically disappeared, no point in having steam trains on lines with overhead wires, it's not exactly 'fitting' for them, nor photogenic.

That's always my problem - trying to find something that runs reasonably locally but with no wires. Fortunately I'm close to the lines to North and South Wales from Crewe, but it's still a bit limiting.

Back