Black Adder, no not Rowan Atkinson (more pics added)

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Had a walk around my very wet local site on Sunday to see if my little mates had started to appear and yes even though it was only 8.5degs spotted seven out of which three were the Melanistic Viper berus.
Seems to have quite a large % of these on this site,so i might try to get head shots of them all this year just to see if i can figure how many individuals their are.

Melanistic Viper berus by John, on Flickr

That's a beautiful-looking snake John! I'd love to find one of these, but no luck so far.

Dave

How do you mamage to get close enough to them ? I thought they where really shy and disappeared at the first sound or smell of people ?

Snakes are deaf ,but very aware of vibration and smell ,eye sight not so good.Just move slowly with gentle foot steps and you need to know were to look. Spotted 11 yesterday in about an hour.

Believe me i am not brave ,always have my wellies on.These snakes are not aggressive unless you push them ,i try my best not to disturb them .They will get defensive if they feel threatened and will show you that they will defend themselves by coiling up,head raised eyes locked on you lots of tongue flicking maybe some hissing and threatening strikes ,just back of and walk away no need to stress these little guys.

Believe me i am not brave ,always have my wellies on.These snakes are not aggressive unless you push them ,i try my best not to disturb them .They will get defensive if they feel threatened and will show you that they will defend themselves by coiling up,head raised eyes locked on you lots of tongue flicking maybe some hissing and threatening strikes ,just back of and walk away no need to stress these little guys.

Well said And good advice
Oh and I love the wellies bit

Back