B&W Black and white wife - artistic(ish) renditions

Andrew Moore

Suspended / Banned
Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Well here she is.. After moaning that all I take pics of is inanimate objects or he dogs she said take some of her and get some critique.. Be brutal! She may not ask again :D images are not all taken whilst she was aware so some do lack a little direction. I was sat in the same spot after all!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:

All great takes and most renditions are proper
as I suspect, in some, that the chosen strategy
was not the better option.

…you're up to something good Andrew!

2 and 3 are the stand out one for me on this set.
I rather the way you have done this as they tend to be a true shot and nothing fake about them.

I took the 18mm f2 off and slapped on the 56mm f1.2 and it was lovely but I was too close on the table and the background was swallowed by my wife's head. I could probably have got away with the 35mm but I didn't really want to be that guy swapping primes around whilst in a coffee shop.

The light wasn't the best as it was bright by Windows and dimly lit for the most part with some spot lights casting a magnitude of shadows but over all to get a true b&w rendition would leave the images a little flat where detail is needed and harsh in other areas.

As said, it's a bit more of an arty attempt at a shot so overall feel it went reasonably well. Shame about the lens distortion.. Doesn't really affect image centre where her face is the the outer edges have suffered at little.

These are great introductions.
Long overdue work on your part, how could you waste time on 'inanimate objects'...?
It's clear you have a willing and attractive model to expand upon.
I'm liking all of these, the lack of eye contact doesn't actually bother me, except the last one which is too close as a frame filling perspective.
Great start, let's see some more work with those lenses.

I like the candidness of these (I'm sure that's a real word), the only crit I can offer is the fact her eyes are very dark. Next time asking her to turn towards the window light light slightly may have given them a little more sparkle.

You have a black and white wife? Are the licences cheaper then? She has a huge hand in the last shot due to the perspective issue but otherwise I like them and at least she looks like she was having fun. Mine, god bless her, always has that "I'm going to ram that lens up your.. aheemmmm!!" when I point it at her. Still mines a colour one, they're always a bit tricky. :)

....I was sat in the same spot ...

This is the salient part of your description.

You have shot way too low on her, and with the wide lens this has added to the problem [Apologies if you have trouble standing].

At this angle you make her body appear bigger, with a small head and looking up her nose, in most of them.

You will get a more flattering shot, shooting more level (with her eyes), and using 85mm (or crop equivalent) upwards. You need to choose the correct lens and move around to get the right shot, not just sit there and snap away.

You have a black and white wife? Are the licences cheaper then? She has a huge hand in the last shot due to the perspective issue but otherwise I like them and at least she looks like she was having fun. Mine, god bless her, always has that "I'm going to ram that lens up your.. aheemmmm!!" when I point it at her. Still mines a colour one, they're always a bit tricky. :)
Haha! It makes her feel more elegant if it's all black and white..

To be honest you don't really want a set of images sat in the same place, with exactly the same background, lighting and everything else, but different poses.

I'd pick the best one, probably 3 which is lovely and authentic, and delete the rest. The last two in particular do her no favours with the wide angle lens...

PS: I like the B&W processing.

This is the salient part of your description.

You have shot way too low on her, and with the wide lens this has added to the problem [Apologies if you have trouble standing].

At this angle you make her body appear bigger, with a small head and looking up her nose, in most of them.

You will get a more flattering shot, shooting more level (with her eyes), and using 85mm (or crop equivalent) upwards. You need to choose the correct lens and move around to get the right shot, not just sit there and snap away.

I'm guessing then that you were in a Café and shooting across the table in a casual fashion. In this situation it would have been discourteous to have just got up and started an impromptu photo shoot. Not only that, but it's a bit awkward using and 85mm+ lens when your only 18" apart. Still you have to take whatever chance you can in that situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BMG
I'm guessing then that you were in a Café and shooting across the table in a casual fashion. In this situation it would have been discourteous to have just got up and started an impromptu photo shoot. Not only that, but it's a bit awkward using and 85mm+ lens when your only 18" apart. Still you have to take whatever chance you can in that situation.

Why would I be in that cafe?

You put it up in a section for critique. I gave you that. If you want flattering shots of your wife, listen to the advice you will get on here, or go watch some videos of portrait or headshot photographers (Peter Hurley and the like). See what they do, what lenses they use and the flattering results they get.

If you do the research and then talk to your wife about how YOU would like to take the shots, explain why, and then go somewhere suitable to take the photos you can then judge those shots against the ones posted above. Some little changes will produce way better photos.

You put it up in a section for critique. I gave you that. If you want flattering shots of your wife, listen to the advice you will get on here, or go watch some videos of portrait or headshot photographers (Peter Hurley and the like). See what they do, what lenses they use and the flattering results they get.

If you do the research and then talk to your wife about how YOU would like to take the shots, explain why, and then go somewhere suitable to take the photos you can then judge those shots against the ones posted above. Some little changes will produce way better photos.

I think your quoting a quote from someone who has miss quoted as nothing in the first two paragraphs applies to anything I've personally posted but instead a summary of someone else's understanding of the situation.

As for the rest, I'm more than aware that on aps-c I need 50-60mm to give me an approx 85mm lens. I've mentioned the use of a 56mm but it was too close and I wasn't in the best position to move which many have picked up on and understand. The 18mm isn't a great lens for this sort of photography but it was the starting point and moving to the 35mm although probably more ideal (but not perfect) meant messing around with lenses again whilst sat at a small table in the middle of a cafe.

I've quoted and typed numerous times as I didn't really know what to say or how to respond to what you have typed. Whether or not you intended to come across as you have I don't know but regardless of that I still felt a need to reply rather than leaving it and it's just made me feel a little uncomfortable.

I think your quoting a quote from someone who has miss quoted as nothing in the first two paragraphs applies to anything I've personally posted but instead a summary of someone else's understanding of the situation.

As for the rest, I'm more than aware that on aps-c I need 50-60mm to give me an approx 85mm lens. I've mentioned the use of a 56mm but it was too close and I wasn't in the best position to move which many have picked up on and understand. The 18mm isn't a great lens for this sort of photography but it was the starting point and moving to the 35mm although probably more ideal (but not perfect) meant messing around with lenses again whilst sat at a small table in the middle of a cafe.

I've quoted and typed numerous times as I didn't really know what to say or how to respond to what you have typed. Whether or not you intended to come across as you have I don't know but regardless of that I still felt a need to reply rather than leaving it and it's just made me feel a little uncomfortable.

Apologies Andrew, busy week and I didn't check back and I mistook Dinsdale for you as the OP. It was not intended to make you, or anyone else for that matter, feel uncomfortable.

It seems you know what you are doing, and, as you said, were using what you had available given the situation.

I look forward to seeing more posts from you and I'll be less blunt next time (or if you prefer I'll leave others to comment and keep my thoughts to myself...).

The second image you posted is the keeper. Would have enjoyed seeing the color version

Good candid shots. 1 and 3 are the ones I'd select, but it's a good bunch.

I know what it's like when your other half is reluctant to pose, so you take what you can using what ever is to hand and if you get some good shots in that small window of opportunity, then great, if not, you just have to wait till she's in the right mood again.
I think you've done really well, and even the wider angle works ok. Portraits don't always have to be close and shot with something more than 85mm, it's ok to have a wider angle, get a bit more of the environment in the shot.
Very much liking the B&W toning, was that Fuji in camera B&W or Lightroom? I almost mistook it for film ;)

Apologies Andrew, busy week and I didn't check back and I mistook Dinsdale for you as the OP. It was not intended to make you, or anyone else for that matter, feel uncomfortable.

It seems you know what you are doing, and, as you said, were using what you had available given the situation.

I look forward to seeing more posts from you and I'll be less blunt next time (or if you prefer I'll leave others to comment and keep my thoughts to myself...).
No worries, as said, I didnt really know how to reply so I apologize for my calling out as I was just left at a bit of an awkward stand still.

The second image you posted is the keeper. Would have enjoyed seeing the color version
I quite liked to almost emotion free state of the image which is why I decided to include it. I did have other similar ones with the odd smile but thought that that worked better. Ill get colour up and the Fuji B&W up too.

Good candid shots. 1 and 3 are the ones I'd select, but it's a good bunch.

I know what it's like when your other half is reluctant to pose, so you take what you can using what ever is to hand and if you get some good shots in that small window of opportunity, then great, if not, you just have to wait till she's in the right mood again.
I think you've done really well, and even the wider angle works ok. Portraits don't always have to be close and shot with something more than 85mm, it's ok to have a wider angle, get a bit more of the environment in the shot.
Very much liking the B&W toning, was that Fuji in camera B&W or Lightroom? I almost mistook it for film ;)

Thanks!

Ill get the original RAW converted to a Jpeg and then post the Fuji B&W. Neither were too great tbh, lighting was either massively harsh or dull all within the space of a couple of seconds as the sun broke through the windows or went behind the clouds. Movement outside also changed the light a fair bit as people came and went.

DSCF8227col.jpg
Unedited RAW (now in jpeg)

DSCF8214fuj.JPG
Straight out of camera black and white

DSCF8227.jpg
Edited in PS - Emulated Yellow filter on the black and white.

Went with a yellow filter emulation to bring out the detail in the top and other areas as the fuji black and white seemed to lose a lot of it from the colour image. The colour image was tweaked first to make sure it looked right before having a go with the black and white conversion as leaving it as it was left it blown out on the highlights around the hair and face and it just looked a bit lifeless and even worse to a degree, flat. I think an ND grad from top left down at 30 degrees from horizon may help tone down what has been revealed with the yellow filter in that wooded roof and wall paper as thats the only bit thats perhaps a bit busy for my preferences now.

Ian,
My misquote has mislead you I'm afraid. In considering my words I lost track of who I was quoting etc. My words were my reading of how and where the images were taken. They were given with the intent to demonstrate that, whilst the Andrew was asking for critique, perhaps those giving critique were under the impression the photographs were taken in a more formal(?) shoot. Therefore, the images were taken "on the fly" and some cognisance of this fact should be taken when providing critique.

Thanks for posting that. I knew I´d like the color version. It´s much more engaging in my opinion. I guess I´m just a color guy.

Thanks for posting that. I knew I´d like the color version. It´s much more engaging in my opinion. I guess I´m just a color guy.
I too am a colour guy. Im just messing about with black and white, getting to know how to convert etc at the moment. Its more for street photography (i have another thread on that) but the wife insisted so I went brutal on her :D

I quite liked to almost emotion free state of the image which is why I decided to include it. I did have other similar ones with the odd smile but thought that that worked better. Ill get colour up and the Fuji B&W up too.

Thanks!

Ill get the original RAW converted to a Jpeg and then post the Fuji B&W. Neither were too great tbh, lighting was either massively harsh or dull all within the space of a couple of seconds as the sun broke through the windows or went behind the clouds. Movement outside also changed the light a fair bit as people came and went.

View attachment 63362
Unedited RAW (now in jpeg)

View attachment 63360
Straight out of camera black and white

View attachment 63361
Edited in PS - Emulated Yellow filter on the black and white.

Went with a yellow filter emulation to bring out the detail in the top and other areas as the fuji black and white seemed to lose a lot of it from the colour image. The colour image was tweaked first to make sure it looked right before having a go with the black and white conversion as leaving it as it was left it blown out on the highlights around the hair and face and it just looked a bit lifeless and even worse to a degree, flat. I think an ND grad from top left down at 30 degrees from horizon may help tone down what has been revealed with the yellow filter in that wooded roof and wall paper as thats the only bit thats perhaps a bit busy for my preferences now.
This is the shot, either the colour or Fuji's own conversation (the yellow filter gives patchy skin tones).
The others, as above. Interesting to learn what happens when you use a wide lens from an unflattering angle. Keep them for reference and move on.
I appreciate the limitations, we all do - we're photographers.

And now I apologise for being blunt, but if I posted a landscape that was a bit meh; then asked that it was judged with the caveat that it would have been better shot on a different lens, an hour later in the day, from a different angle but there was a gate to climb...
People would think I was stupid o_O (and quite rightly)

Photography is all about facing and overcoming the challenges not just buckling and then calling it 'arty'. Again, not what you want to hear, but an unflattering portrait of a reticent wife is less use than a chocolate fireguard if you want to carry on shooting her. The way to get to shoot more is to make her look awesome. And you know how that happens (longer lens, flattering light, flattering angle), make sure that's what you do next time, then there'll be another next time etc.;)

Back