Black areas not printing

sirch

Lu-Tze
Admin
Name
The other Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I was trying to print some photos that have a very dark background and they are not printing properly. The image below is just a test of grey vs solid black, the star at the top has a black border but grey fill and the fill prints OK, the bottom star is solid black. The printer is a Canon MG5700 and I have done all the usual, head cleaning etc. Also the pattern on the solid black is different on each print.

Any ideas?

20210216_185412_resize_22.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a head alignment issue.
You should be able to check in the menu system
Thanks I edited more detail in the above probably while you were replying. I have tried the test print etc. on the printer and that works fine. may be I'll give head alignment another go.

Is that the same star printed twice?

Or is the 1st star grey with a black border and the second one black?

A quick Google indicates some of the 5700s have a grey cart as well as a black one. If that's the case, I'd say your black nozzle is unhappy.

How does colour print?

Thanks I edited more detail in the above probably while you were replying. I have tried the test print etc. on the printer and that works fine. may be I'll give head alignment another go.
I was editing my post too.
Have you tried a deep head clean?

Did another head alignment and it's different but no better.

I've done a deep clean, I haven't tried another cartridge, I'll give that a go

Is that the same star printed twice?

Or is the 1st star grey with a black border and the second one black?

A quick Google indicates some of the 5700s have a grey cart as well as a black one. If that's the case, I'd say your black nozzle is unhappy.

How does colour print?
1st star grey with a black border and the second one black.

It doesn't have a grey cart, but it does have black dye and black pigment, I'm guessing becuase this is an image it will be using the black dye ink. I'll try another cart if I've got one.

What does it print like if in Word you put a 48pt size bold X on a normal A4 page?

That should select the right black cartridge over the other one!

Why do I ask..... well just maybe your design is:-
a) using the other black cart?
Or
b) the star is not 'black' but 'colour' jpeg?

The test page looked OK but I have just changed the pigment cartridge and that has fixed it, I guess what was happening is that it was using a mix of black dye and black pigment and the missing areas were because the pigment wasn't working.

Back