Black beaked Swan

Edit My Images
No
Saw one of these at WWT Llanelli. Book says its a Tundra Swan. Was a bit far away to get a good meaningful photo alas.

Are these fairly common.? Think its the first time I have seen one knowinglyt.

Mj

Last edited:
Could it be a captive Swan, like the Trumpeter Swans at Slimbridge? I know WWT has these and they have the black beaks.

It sounds rather unlikely. I don't think they are common at all in the UK............. Are you sure it wasn't a Bewicks with very little yellow? Or as Roger suggests a captive. He posted while I was typing.

am down there tomorrow so will check. (volunteer)

I look at this pond/scrape several times a week, but have not see this black beaked bird before.................

Mj

I think they have captive Trumpeter Swans at most wetland cemtres, was it possibly in a captive area ?

Does sound most likely, though I am sure I have not seen it here before, and I look at the pond/scrape several times a week.

As said, I am down there today so will look carefully and hope to have a photo............

Could it be a juvenile Mute swan???????

Last edited:
Definitely a juvenile mute moulting into its adult plumage, including the bill changing colour. If you zoom right in you can see it very clearly. Sorry, Mark, but not a rarity. At least you don't have to cope with every twitcher in the country beating a path to your door................ Trumpeter swans are native to North America, which is why you won't find it in your book.

Trumpeter Swan: forehead slope is a continuation of the bill slope, forehead to bill in V shape (as shown in Martin's pic)
Tundra Swan: forehead higher/rounder, forehead to bill in U shape, smallest of the swans
Mute Swan: similar to Tundra in head characteristics, but larger. Bill turns orange with black base/diamond tip and develops top knob (all in evidence on this one).

Edit: Mute Swans are also a$$h0les...

Thanks for info and links. Never thought it was complicated before!!

Why are Mutes Bums???:):):):)

Swans are quite tasty - according to my late Grandfather who shot one (in Ireland) by accident. His excuse was that "There's one!" and "SWAN!" sound very similar in the local accent and that he always shot for the pot not the thrill of the kill.

Back