Black Bear in the wild

Not too sure about cute as looks like a bit a mean bruiser :) just a shame not sharp.

Canada has long been "our must go one day" list so do please give mention as to where and what did & recommendations?

What BB said really. It can be more challenging than one might think to get good wildlife shots, especially in early evening light (often a bit dim).

We were there last year, and saw bears a couple of times near Jasper, but not for very long as they disappeared rapidly. There was also an Elk that seemed more concerned with shwing us how large its testicles were, than facing our direction. :p

Having guided people to BC more than 40 times, we see Black Bears pretty every trip on Vancouver Island, had loads of females with cubs on a slow drift down the Nitinat river, beautiful creatures and because we were slowly drifting by only stopping for a few pictures, they were unconcerned and only 20ft away.
Thanks Gordon.

Having guided people to BC more than 40 times, we see Black Bears pretty every trip on Vancouver Island, had loads of females with cubs on a slow drift down the Nitinat river, beautiful creatures and because we were slowly drifting by only stopping for a few pictures, they were unconcerned and only 20ft away.
Thanks Gordon.

Thanks for insight, what would you say is the best time of the year for BC trips and bear families and would that coincide with good whale watching opportunities?

Hi Box Brownie,
I do a wildlife photography trip in June for the Orca's/ Humpbacks out of Victoria on Vancouver Island, as we move up the Island ado a couple of days at the Sea Otters and then up to join Howard for the Grizzlies, have a look at
View: https://youtu.be/LaVwRxb2xSw

The Grizzlies are on the mainland but a couple of hours on the big boat and then a skiff to get close, one of the Guides was National Geographic wildlife photographer of the year, so we are always in good hands, the Black Bear trip on the Island I do much later in the year when the last Salmon run is on and they need the fat for the winter.
There is lots of other species available all year round, I guess that why I am doing 7 trips next year and the last one this year for Bald Eagles and Raptors in November.
Thanks Gordon.... off to build a perch for my Ospreys.

Gordon

Thanks for the video linky, looks like a superb guided trip :)

I will, rather than take this thread off track, PM you for some feedback and detailed itinerary insight. We have talked the past few years about going to BC but it just never got sorted.................based on comment about June we have missed good timing for this year for a cetacean and bears (plus others?) trip so 2016 it looks like. Ooops said I would go PM :)

I can only vouch for the trip we did, we saw black bear, coyote, bald eagle, mule eared deer, squirrels, elk, long horn sheep, and moose,
we started in Alberta, then through to British Columbia, via coach and Rocky Mountaineer train, the bears feed close to the road because of the dandelions, most shots were through glass,
there is loads of travel companies who will taylor make your holiday, the company we travelled with wereTitan.

it is a nice shot wallyboy, and considering it was taken behind glass, I have had a few Black Bears look at me like that, while pretty close....... not the most fun I've ever had.
Gordon.

it is a nice shot wallyboy, and considering it was taken behind glass, I have had a few Black Bears look at me like that, while pretty close....... not the most fun I've ever had.
Gordon.
thanks Gordon, I was quite pleased considering the circumstances,
if you do a photography trip around the Vancouver area I envy you it sure is a beautiful area,
the only grizzlies we saw were on grouse mountain, orphans in captivity,

Hi Wallyboy,
I do a few trips around BC and as soon as my Osprey photography season is done I am off for 5 or 6 weeks to the Okanagan valley, Vancouver and Vancouver Island, not a wild bear but a friend from the Aviemore area who has been in Alberta for 20 yrs or more and trains animals for the film industry and his Wolves are in Game of Thrones, have a look at his Kodiak bear, will give you a laugh, his company is instinct animals for film, so I am also looking forward to interacting with the Timber Wolves in the big forest area he has fenced off.
View: https://youtu.be/ZAJx_Apoz_g

Thanks Gordon.

Gordon.

Yes, the first thing that struck me about Walter's pic was that the bear has a menacing look.

We're off to BC in a couple of weeks. Vancouver, Whistler, Victoria, Campbell River & Tofino. I'm really hoping for bears, whales & eagles, anything else is a bonus...

Hats off to you for capturing a wild image. I know I have enough to think about capturing wild images of hare, badger and fox over here. Not sure how much of this I would remember if you throw in having to factor your personal safety!

Scott

Hi Jelster,
Have a look at Boundary Bay if you are in Vancouver, great place for Bald Eagles Owls and other raptors, you can catch a daily tour to Knights inlet from Campbell river to see and photography Grizzlies but its from a platform 6 ft off the ground, I would take a drive a little further to Telegraph Cove and go with Howard at tiderip, as its using a skiff and you get much more like eye level, one of his guides won National Geographic photographer of the year, his images actually won first and second place.
Better to do your Orca's from Victoria, when you get to Tofino look for Jamie's guided trips, the have been doing trips for a long time and know their stuff.
Most bears will be feeding on sedges and turning over stones on the shoreline, the salmon runs are much later in the year so a drive along the shoreline early in the morning is a good call, I have often seen Black Bears as you drive out of Port Alberni on the way to Campbell river ect,
Hope this helps a little, and if I can help just let me know, I have some great contacts up and down the Island, and know a good few places for a beer or two...... all over the Island. :D
Gordon.

Hi Wallyboy,
I do a few trips around BC and as soon as my Osprey photography season is done I am off for 5 or 6 weeks to the Okanagan valley, Vancouver and Vancouver Island, not a wild bear but a friend from the Aviemore area who has been in Alberta for 20 yrs or more and trains animals for the film industry and his Wolves are in Game of Thrones, have a look at his Kodiak bear, will give you a laugh, his company is instinct animals for film, so I am also looking forward to interacting with the Timber Wolves in the big forest area he has fenced off.
View: https://youtu.be/ZAJx_Apoz_g

Thanks Gordon.

LOL....its amazing how they think up these adverts, now was the bear after the man or the fish.

we saw a timber wolf again in captivity, on the gondola to grouse mountain,

they do a reasonable raptor show at the top of mountain where the birds fly just over head height........... made a few people duck,

must say I was well happy with the wildlife we saw, and to see a moose was I thought a real bonus

We're off to BC in a couple of weeks. Vancouver, Whistler, Victoria, Campbell River & Tofino. I'm really hoping for bears, whales & eagles, anything else is a bonus...

I don't think you will be disappointed,
check out the brewhouse in whistler nice food, cant miss it its got a clock tower, and is next to Olympic rings,

Sorry to drag up this post but if I'd seen it at the time I'd have posted this pic then, it was taken on 12th June

This is one of my black bear pics - taken on a bear viewing tour with Michael Allan's company in Whistler - Camera was Canon 1dx with 70-200 f2.8

12-06-2015-vancouver-dy-25362.jpg

Taken from open window of a SUV - awesome creatures

Back