Black Labrador

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
No
I had the opportunity to have a lovely black lab in this morning, and I wanted to get a classic black on black portrait. Would appreciate some CC on the lighting, I used a softbox camera right, silver reflector camera left and two gridded speedlights at the back (10 and 2 O'clock). I quite like the images, but not sure if I got the rim lighting right, or if there is enough fill from the left?

Guiness Low Key
by MFranksPhoto, on Flickr

Guiness Low Key 2
by MFranksPhoto, on Flickr

Thanks,

Matt

Looks great. Love the separation from the background.

I really like no 2, love the lighting and you've caught his expression perfectly!
x

Wow, love the black on black, the lighting to me is spot on and what a perfect model.
No2 is the one for me, if I was the owner I would be begging you print and frame it.
I'm a massive dog lover but never been a fan of portrait / studio photography but you have totally changed my view as I had never even thought about this with dogs.

Last edited:
Looks great. Love the separation from the background.

Beautiful.

very nice

Great shots!

I really like no 2, love the lighting and you've caught his expression perfectly!
x

Yep, it works for me !

Beautiful pictures :clap:

Love No 2, love labradors too. :hug:

Wow, love the black on black, the lighting to me is spot on and what a perfect model.
No2 is the one for me, if I was the owner I would be begging you print and frame it.
I'm a massive dog lover but never been a fan of portrait / studio photography but you have totally changed my view as I had never even thought about this with dogs.

Thanks you for all the positive feedback :)

Both are amazing.
As has already been said, the separation is perfect.

The poses are lovely as well.

I would prefer a little less space on the left for #2 but that's just me.

These look great to me. Must be damn hard to light them this way.

Gaz

Wow.

They are beautiful images.
Amazing detail and light.

I think you have done a very fine job indeed!
Beautiful lab too.
Cheers
Tony

No 2 is the better one in terms of lighting, there is more separation on the right hand side [as you look at it], some of which is lost in No1 [though I am viewing on a very old windows monitor atm, looking forward to gettin ghome later and viewing on a proper screen, I might change my mind on that ;) ]. It also has better eye contact which whilst not essential imo in animal portraits, No 1 is neither one nor the other, he is not exactly looking right into the lens, nor obviously looking away. When seen side side by like this, that stands out too much, though as individual images that aspect would probably stand alone perfectly well.
Having said all that, they are still beautiful portraits (y)

Stunning work mate :)

Cheers Jake :)

No 2 is the better one in terms of lighting, there is more separation on the right hand side [as you look at it], some of which is lost in No1 [though I am viewing on a very old windows monitor atm, looking forward to gettin ghome later and viewing on a proper screen, I might change my mind on that ;) ]. It also has better eye contact which whilst not essential imo in animal portraits, No 1 is neither one nor the other, he is not exactly looking right into the lens, nor obviously looking away. When seen side side by like this, that stands out too much, though as individual images that aspect would probably stand alone perfectly well.
Having said all that, they are still beautiful portraits (y)

Thanks very much for the feedback Yv :) I see what you mean about the first one regarding the separation. I was unsure about the rim lighting as I mentioned in the OP. IIRC i used 2 speed lights of varying power at 1/1, so unfortunately I didn't get even lighting from both. I think the catch light in his eyes makes him appear to not be looking straight into the lens :) The second one he was getting bored so I had to resort to making farmyard animal noises to get his attention!

Back