Black Mount.

I'm envious of you being there, & I relish what you saw. This image has remarkable detail within it, but overall is rather fragmented. Where are we meant to look? I can't stop my eyes whizzing about the frame.

Attractive ... hmmm ... but natural?

Thanks for the comments Rog, much appreciated.

Yip, it's busy, I entirely agree. I will explain what I tried to do though. I saw the curve in the ice and thought I could use it as part of the composition. I used the 2 rocks. towards the bottom left to get attention in the first instance, then the curve in the ice to lead through to the bigger rock and then hopefully the eye would jump to the next rock on it's journey to the brightest part of the image, the hills, where hopefully, a viewer's eye might settle.

That was my plan. :LOL:

There's probably more to come from this set. ;)

You've described it as I see it Dale (y)
I don't think I have the eye for landscape and don't appreciate many highly praised photos on this forum (or anywhere else probably), so am interested in seeing what others say about this one. I personally like it as much as the popular clean reflection shots I see and think it's looks as natural as any of them.

You did a darn good job at capturing and rendering
this scene though I'm still fighting to convince me it
is not slanting to the left. I say fighting because I do
have the impression but can't find a reference line!

I look at the clouds if I can't find a reference line on the ground/water....the base of clouds towards the horizon tend to be at the same level so they usually give a good approximation to where the horizontal should be! In this case I would agree that it does look to be dropping to the left slightly......still a really nice shot though, Dale! :)

You may have a point about a lean there guys, now that you mention it.

:)

Time for an excuse. I'd been on the road since 03-00 and this was processed at roughly 22-30 the following night. Maybe my eyes were leaning slightly right by then, which may have countered the lean. :LOL:

consider it fixed.

Last edited:
If I'm honest, my eye immediately went to the brighter part of the scene, the snow, and didn't even see the curve in the ice. I thought there was too much foreground. For me the ice curve is not accented enough or obvious and the rocks are...well, just rocks. I thought it looked unbalanced and wasn't sure what the image was really showing. It was obviously a lovely scene but for me this doesn't quite work. It's one of those 'nearly' images, I have hundreds of the damn things, they're nice, but don't quite work.

It's one of those 'nearly' images

I understand your point and that raises the question – about this
very image: what is the purpose?

In such case, there may be two ways to see it:
• the hunting – which aims at capturing an optimal view in
terms of composition, light etc, but time of capture is free and

• the documenting – which aim at a view's optimal capture
where the selected time may be now as it may be required.

In my operations, I get to go both ways at approaching a task
and, of course, this may yield different results.

Here, this shot is very good at representing the scene in a best
possible way given the conditions as the take is very descriptive.

I think the leading, snaking line works to draw you into the pic.
I'd also agree with the apparent slight lean to the left- a 1 degree turn clockwise would help.
It's hard to tell sometimes- it may be perfectly level with a spirit level but look 'wrong'.

It's a very pleasing scene, lots of things to like, the snow covered mountains, the hanging cloud, I enjoy the recession from the dark foreground through to the snow covered distance. But I also struggle with something lacking in the foreground to bribe me in to the image. I get what you mean about the curve in the ice but I don't think it's a strong enough feature.

That said, if you worked the location I'd love to see the rest of the set!! Wish it had been like this when I was there!!!

Dawn for me.....really really nice!! (y)

If I had to pick one of these three it would be the middle one. Maybe it has a better sense of depth and open-ness, and a more coherent repose.

The first is more cluttered, and I don't like how the cloud shadows are disposed about the hills as much.

In the third, that boulder looks lonely!

But I'm being idealistic - it's tough to crit such fine images!

I agree with pretty much everything that has been said. I prefer the top of the trio of images but my eye wants more sky from all of them, like you've cropped some off the top almost?

like you've cropped some off the top almost?

As far as the sky goes, it was 99% of the time done in camera, as it was pretty bland blues or whites beyond what I've composed for. :)

Love the dawn shot, I'd have killed for those colours when I was there! The middle shot works nicely, the rocks work well as foreground, though my eye is repeatedly drawn to the cropped island in the left mid ground.

Great shot of the buachaille, the s curve in the ice works well in this one leading you nicely up the river.

Back