Critique Black on black

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Lorna was all dressed up on her way out to a family party last night, so I grabbed the camera before she went (had already set up to take some of Finley when he woke up from his nap). I was on babysitting duty as no kids were allowed at the party (some people, eh!).

Key light with shoot through umbrella, kicker from behind (bare flash) pointing down to get some separation.

ETA: makeshift Hotpoint reflector used too.

IMG_6044e2_FS by Ian Bradshaw, on Flickr

Thanks for looking, as always C&C welcome.

Last edited:
Seriously can't fault that... although someone might pick up on the shadow on her neck from her collar.. but it's certainly no deal breaker. Black on black is tricky, you've pulled it off well!

Ian,
darn you're leaning fast! You used the kicker ever so discretely…
very well done. Some may suggest a higher kicker to create a line
on her shoulder but I think this solution is very charming. Cool PP.

Well, pretty easy with such a beauty in front of the lens! ;-)

It's already commented. But one more time wouldn't hurt. Spot on that. Really nice portrait.

Fabulous fella you gotta be chuffed with that :) Any more pickyness and your going to loose fun out of this photography lark !!!

Gaz

Technically, can't fault it - clever, crisp, clean exposure. Good skin tones - now, if you could just find the top of her head.....?

Ian,

Very nice. Sharp and nicely light portrait.

Beautiful shot. Love her eyes nice and sharp.

Great shot. You've definitely got the knack for these shots now.
The only thing I'd have changed is not cutting off the top of her head/hair, or if I'd deliberately cut off the top of her head, I'd have cut off a bit more, if you know what I mean.

Very nice shot, I'm not really one for portraits, but this is a nice shot and I like it :)

Wow...thanks for all the positive comments, really has made my day. I am very pleased with this one, given we spent 10 minutes doing these shots before Lorna got picked up.

Used FS which I don't often do, with a copy of the original with opacity adjusted to get a more natural skin texture (think I overdid the high frequency layer quite a bit).

Agree about the missing top of the head too, usually I crop more off so it's more obviously done with intent. Here it looks like a mistake, so I'll take that on board and check next time.

Have just edited one Lorna prefers without the kicker, will add that one shortly, for comparison.

Very pleasing too!

Assuming you are taking kicker for a similar word...

You've already been pulled up in another thread about these sort of remarks K, and that was only earlier tonight. Comments on the photos are appreciated, comments about my fiancee are not.

Last edited:
Comments on the photos are appreciated, comments about my fiancee are not.

I don't understand…

—Lorna prefers without the kicker
Very pleasing too!

Where is what I don't understand?

you know the 'joke' you were implying.

I don't follow!!!

When I wanted to see the larger version of the model, it took me
to an other link where I could see the other pictures you took. There
I saw untouched pictures and noticed pictures with different lighting
that were, may I say it again, just as pleasing as the first posted.

So, please tell me where is the implied joke, here or in the other thread,
because I don't follow.

Another cracking shot Ian. I showed my wife your shots of Finley, hoping to get the go ahead to buy another flash and a soft box, and it worked!

Love this. You've totally nailed exposure. I like both shots, with the kicker one just edging it for me.

You've done a great job with FS too, subtle and not over done, you've dialed in just the right amount i think producing lovely skin tones. Great stuff :)
I must get my lights (speedlights) and modifiers out more, i just never seem to have time.

Did you use speedlights for these?

Another cracking shot Ian. I showed my wife your shots of Finley, hoping to get the go ahead to buy another flash and a soft box, and it worked!

Thanks Leroy, I'm glad you've got some new toys on the way, are you going to post a few shots once you've got the new kit?

Love this. You've totally nailed exposure. I like both shots, with the kicker one just edging it for me.

You've done a great job with FS too, subtle and not over done, you've dialed in just the right amount i think producing lovely skin tones. Great stuff :)
I must get my lights (speedlights) and modifiers out more, i just never seem to have time.

Did you use speedlights for these?

Cheers Dan, it takes a while to do the FS but it's worth it (and Lorna was out at a party so I had the time free). I wouldn't want to have to do this to a whole shoot's worth of shots, that's for sure! I usually end up overdoing it (on the high frequency layer) and it goes too smooth/plastic looking, a copy of the original layer over the top (with any blemishes removed) allows a lot of control over how much texture is shown by varying the opacity.

Yes, I used a couple of YN600 speedlights and a YN radio trigger. The trigger is great as you can adjust the settings from it which saves a lot of hassle. Key light I used ETTL, kicker was in manual to allow me to get it set right.

Love the lighting Ian. What's also really helpful is seeing some shots on flickr with and without FS. For those of us who aren't as well versed in how far to push FS, it's really handy seeing it applied delicately here.

Top job!

Thanks Leroy, I'm glad you've got some new toys on the way, are you going to post a few shots once you've got the new kit?
I'm hoping to, I'm just a bit self conscious. I've got a new grandson born this week, so will be practicing on him. Watch this space :)

Hmm. difficult choice. I think I prefer the second one for the range of tones and lighting.
But I like the first one too :) apart from the crop!

At least she is available for a reshoot and you'll get a perfect shot.
I presume she is happy with the result?

On second thoughts, there really isn't anything between them. Maybe the two very small hairs on her right shoulder could be tidied up.

Mate, these are totally stunning, love the eye contact and the skin tones are absolutely flawless, you never fail to impress. Sorry for the noobiness but FS?

I'm hoping to, I'm just a bit self conscious. I've got a new grandson born this week, so will be practicing on him. Watch this space :)

Lots of opportunities then Leroy, I have a niece due in May who may be having a few shots taken...

Hmm. difficult choice. I think I prefer the second one for the range of tones and lighting.
But I like the first one too :) apart from the crop!

At least she is available for a reshoot and you'll get a perfect shot.
I presume she is happy with the result?

On second thoughts, there really isn't anything between them. Maybe the two very small hairs on her right shoulder could be tidied up.

Thanks for the comments Ken, I'm leaning towards the second one too. I probably won't get a reshoot any time soon, and because the major gripe was chopping of the top of Lorna's head I've resorted to PS to sort that out (not too obvious I hope). There was some fluff on her right shoulder, is that what you meant or the hair coming over the collar on to her neck?

IMG_6044e4_FS by Ian Bradshaw, on Flickr

Mate, these are totally stunning, love the eye contact and the skin tones are absolutely flawless, you never fail to impress. Sorry for the noobiness but FS?

Thanks for the kind words Alan, appreciate you taking the time to comment. FS is Frequency Separation, you essentially split the texture (high frequency) from the colours/tones (low frequency) - I have no clue why they are referred to as low/high frequency (or I've forgotten). Linky to a tutorial on phlearn.com

It was fluff, looked like hair. (not something I have to worry about :) )

That's a cracking shot. Best of the bunch. I'll not look for the join, but at normal viewing I can't see it.

All three are stunningly good. I was pausing over the crop in the first one not sure I liked her hair barely cut off and now seeing the last version I definitely think it's the best of the two options. That said I find the second image with the tilt of the head and expression to be the most engaging.

It was fluff, looked like hair. (not something I have to worry about :) )

That's a cracking shot. Best of the bunch. I'll not look for the join, but at normal viewing I can't see it.

Cheers Ken, happy for you to pixel peep to check if you like.

All three are stunningly good. I was pausing over the crop in the first one not sure I liked her hair barely cut off and now seeing the last version I definitely think it's the best of the two options. That said I find the second image with the tilt of the head and expression to be the most engaging.

Thanks Pitter, it was bugging me too after it was pointed out. I prefer the second one too.

Last one of the bunch for me mate, very nicely done with a very difficult to balance shot - nicely subtle too on the FS.

Thanks Mike, I wasn't sure if I'd overdone the PP - I guess not, from the comments received.

Back