Wild Black Shouldered Kite

Name
Mark Molloy
Edit My Images
Yes
This bird was a nightmare to photograph. I could see it for most of the day across from me in a large tree, it sat there in the distance for around 8hrs whilst i waited and waited. It took food, it mated, it preened but still wouldn't come near enough to get a decent shot-so frustrating. All in i think i waited around 16hrs with only a few shots of the bird but it was worth it when it flew in with this large rodent and ate the full thing in front of my lens. I was in a very very small 1 man hide, no bait is used on these sensitive birds of prey.

Black Shouldered Kite by Mark Molloy, on Flickr

stunning shot Mark, never heard of this one before I've seen the reds and the black version
what country where you in for this shot ?

stunning shot Mark, never heard of this one before I've seen the reds and the black version
what country where you in for this shot ?

This was whilst i was out in Central Spain and it was my main target, only managed to get close on my 2nd last day.

Mark, it was a commercial hide, the only one i know of in Spain.

Was this in the Extremadura area?
I know there are commercial hide operations there, and the Montfrague National Park is supposedly one of the best areas in Europe for raptors. Extremadura is great for many types of birds - I plan to go there in Autumn this year.
(Great shot, by the way!)

Last edited:
Was this in the Extremadura area?
I know there are commercial hide operations there, and the Montfrague National Park is supposedly one of the best areas in Europe for raptors. Extremadura is great for many types of birds - I plan to go there in Autumn this year.
(Great shot, by the way!)

Yeah this was near the Montfraque national park. If you need any info just send me a pm.

Last edited:
Back