Black-tailed Godwit

Edit My Images
Yes
Posted a couple similar to this awhile back but just going through some old shots and thought I'd edit this one

Taken in the first rays of sunrise, on a cold November morning last year

In ACR, I've a very small amount of area showing no detail on the underside but instead of bring the HL's down more, I left it as it is.

D7200, Sigma 150-600 c, 1/1000th, f7.1, ISO 1600 @ 600mm medium crop

I'm my own worst critique and not 100% on this but can't just put me finger on way

All C&C welcome, encouraged even :), thanks for looking

Black-tailed Godwit by Phil D, on Flickr

Last edited:
Excellent detail for such a high ISO (y)

Is it, perhaps, because you're not quite eye-level with the subject?

Sorry Wez, typing error, it should have read 1600, edited to correct ISO :rolleyes:

Some were taken from one of the bridges that span the channels on the causeway out to Holy Island, this could well be one ..............that could well be it :)

I'll take another look at the album, I bet the others I processed a while back had a low pov! Thanks for the feedback Wez (y)

Last edited:

A direction suggestion based on tonal taming…

Black-tailed%20Godwit.jpg

A direction suggestion based on tonal taming…

Black-tailed%20Godwit.jpg

Terrible Daniel, the sea would've had to have been toxic to be that electric neon blue, but thanks for the effort

Doesn't look level Phil and the shadow really doesn't help.

Is your monitor calibrated Daniel?, I know the answer already, you'll just say yes, probably by a 'professional monitor calibrator' with the best money can buy.......someone else with all the gear and no idea ;)

I'm happy for you to edit my posts, please keep doing it, there will be a lot more than me look at your edits and think WTF is this chap on!

Unlike you I look for faults in my shots because I'm keen to learn by the critque offered :)

… I tweaked that too in my suggestion.

And there you go again, remember Daniel, as you were told in PM.......You have nothing to prove :LOL:

Doesn't look level Phil and the shadow really doesn't help.

Cheers Roger, tbh I'm not sure it needs straightening :thinking:....Wez could well be right, I've had a quick look at some others, they were higher on the sand bank and I was lower at the side of the road, they look a lot better.

Think I was a bit blinked by the reflection, that bit I liked and just over looked the other faults......and now you've mention it, the shadow being one

Will edit another one with a lower pov, thanks for the crit (y)

Last edited:
Since you were not happy with the rendition

I did't say I wasn't happy with the rendition :rolleyes: but thanks for bumping my thread like you do your own, much appreciated (y)

I cannot understand some of the comments thrown around which are colour related. In this example it is impossible to give an opinion without seeing the image as it came out of the camera but I would hazard a guess that the colours of the bird's plumage are not those shown in the image posted here.

I cannot understand some of the comments thrown around which are colour related. In this example it is impossible to give an opinion without seeing the image as it came out of the camera but I would hazard a guess that the colours of the bird's plumage are not those shown in the image posted here.

Ah, here we go, one of Daniels disciples, no doubt the other two will be along shortly.

So the neon blue sea looks fine to you Norman? Sorry, its not my cup of tea and I have the right to say.......have I not?

I have nothing to prove, nor do I have anything to hide, I don't mind posting my unedited shots SOOC, resized to 1024 to post here, just as it looked on the morning:)

Edit @gramps - looking at the sooc shot Roger, you could well be right about it needing a bit of clockwise rotation(y)

sooc 1024.jpg

Last edited:
Tell me, please, is that how the bird really looks? I ask because I know nothing about our feathered friends.

Tell me, please, is that how the bird really looks? I ask because I know nothing about our feathered friends.

Norman, the shot is sooc, taken around 8am on a November morning, no editing whatsoever apart from resized for TP

I'm no expert on waders but this will have its winter colouring and the early morning low sun has given it the more 'golden ' look to the feathers.

A nice walking pose Phil, always good to have the foot up like that. Beautiful morning light as well. A pity you couldn't get any lower (and my guess is this is your frustration here).

Try taking your opening version into your RAW converter - I tried lightroom for this as I known you Nikon boys can't use DPP4! I reduced the white balance, sliding it towards 'blue' to show -9, then pushed the tint towards magenta to the value of +9.

I tried pushing the white and black points a little further, then toned down the brightest highlights with a curves layer which only affected the brightest parts of the image.

Finally, Roger is right about the rotation. If you open the shot up (I'm guessing you can do this in elements) and select the crop tool, look at the top bar to see if there is a 'straighten' icon. If you have this, click on it, then draw a vertical line from the tip of the beak to the tip of the beak in the reflection and it straightens the shot up - it was about 2 degrees rotation needed.

Mike

Last edited:
A nice walking pose Phil, always good to have the foot up like that. Beautiful morning light as well. A pity you couldn't get any lower (and my guess is this is your frustration here).

Try taking your opening version into your RAW converter - I tried lightroom for this as I known you Nikon boys can't use DPP4! I reduced the white balance, sliding it towards 'blue' to show -9, then pushed the tint towards magenta to the value of +9.

I tried pushing the white and black points a little further, then toned down the brightest highlights with a curves layer which only affected the brightest parts of the image.

Finally, Roger is right about the rotation. If you open the shot up (I'm guessing you can do this in elements) and select the crop tool, look at the top bar to see if there is a 'straighten' icon. If you have this, click on it, then draw a vertical line from the tip of the beak to the tip of the beak in the reflection and it straightens the shot up - it was about 2 degrees rotation needed.

Mike

Many thanks Mike, will have a re-edit at this one. Looking through the album, I've got a few with a low pov, will add one of those too, cheers

Norman, the shot is sooc, taken around 8am on a November morning, no editing whatsoever apart from resized for TP

I'm no expert on waders but this will have its winter colouring and the early morning low sun has given it the more 'golden ' look to the feathers.
Between the first and last image of the bird you posted I do find a difference on the underside of the bird being a bit darker on the first image. I prefer the first ;-)

As far as the neon blue water goes enjoy your argument :popcorn:

Last edited:
Between the first and last image of the bird you posted I do find a difference on the underside of the bird being a bit darker on the first image. I prefer the first ;-)

As far as the neon blue water goes enjoy your argument :popcorn:

Thanks Charles, the first has had some editing done. Amongst other things, I've brought the the HL's down on the underside, the 2nd shot was sooc which I have no problem posting (y)

As for the argument about the neon blue sea, there isn't one, it won't be happening in any of my shots soon! cheers

To be fair, I prefer the original shot. I have to agree that the water looks dreadful in the edits.If anything, the bird is too central in the frame for my liking, other than that it's a beaut.

To be fair, I prefer the original shot. I have to agree that the water looks dreadful in the edits.If anything, the bird is too central in the frame for my liking, other than that it's a beaut.

Thanks for the feedback Nigel (y)

Back