Critique Black & White Or Colour?

Has to be colour. For me it would have been better if there was less space above the subject and maybe a bit more exposure. Love the disco floor!

Colour all day long on this one.. might be worth trying some lighting effects in PP or some dodging to make her "pop" a bit IMHO.

I like the colour version. It puts me in mind of someone dancing to Northern Soul but haven't a clue why.....she could have been dancing to the birdy song for all I know:)

I would lose some of the space at the top so that the girl is more prominent.

Chris

Colour version works better for this one. More interesting shot in colour imho.

I'm going to be the odd one out. I prefer the black & white. Gives it a really good retro feel.

Just saying' [emoji3]

Another vote for the colour version. You just need to make her stand out a bit.

thanks guys.... I put the colour version in a local competition last night but it didn't do very well unfortunately :(

thanks guys.... I put the colour version in a local competition last night but it didn't do very well unfortunately :(

I like it, but suspect it didn't do well due to a bit of motion blur. It also looks as though you've actually focused on the fence rather than the dancer but I could be wrong. The disembodied feet on the left are slightly odd too. The light on the face & expression are great, though.

I like it, but suspect it didn't do well due to a bit of motion blur. It also looks as though you've actually focused on the fence rather than the dancer but I could be wrong. The disembodied feet on the left are slightly odd too. The light on the face & expression are great, though.

Thanks Simon - It's not the best image to be honest, Mainly for the reasons which you mention. It actually didnt do too well due to the comp theme being "Environmental Portrait" You would argue that its not a portrait and to be honest there were just better images in there - so no hard feelings really.

Luckily I entered another two which came 1st and 2nd - which Im pretty chuffed with as it was my first time of entering anything

Nice, stick them up so we can see what's winning awards these days ;)

In terms of the posted shot, it has to be colour, it borders on criminal to take such a wonderfully colourful shot and then turn it into a mono! Agree with others that your composition could be improved though. No idea if it is possible in this location, but a shot from above on that floor would probably look great (y)

Nice, stick them up so we can see what's winning awards these days ;)

In terms of the posted shot, it has to be colour, it borders on criminal to take such a wonderfully colourful shot and then turn it into a mono! Agree with others that your composition could be improved though. No idea if it is possible in this location, but a shot from above on that floor would probably look great (y)

When I can, I will post the winning two images Tony. They will be going in to another competition across 3 other clubs

The problem I had with location was that I didnt want other people in the shot. Thinking back I could have asked to go in he DJ booth to get a higher composition. infact - the more i look at the image the more it annoys me ha ha

Why not both ?

I was submitting 4 images in to a local competition. I already had three which i wanted to use... I just wanted to make sure other people thought the same as I did choosing the colour version - which i submitted as my 4th. As it turns out the colour was the best version but just a very good enough over all...

Never mind - live and learn :)

Back