Black Woodpecker

Name
Mark Molloy
Edit My Images
Yes
This was an unexpected visitor to a woodland hide i was using.After around 9-10hrs this bird came by for around 2 mins, it was dark and dull but this was about the best i could manage in the conditions. No perches set up and no bait so it was quite an opportunist type shot.

Black Woodpecker. by Mark Molloy, on Flickr

Black Woodpecker by Mark Molloy, on Flickr

Last edited:
Very nice Mark.
Whereabouts was the location?
Not UK?

No Peter this was out in Hungary, i had greater spotted woodpeckers, a couple of green woodpeckers then this bird turned up which isn't very common in the area i was at. A few years ago i had the lesser spotted in another part of Hungary so was really hoping for a middle spotted to complete the collection but this was a great substitute..lol

So the other day I got sidetracked while flicking through the bird book IDing something, landed on the woodpeckers page and thought 'wouldn't it be good to see some of the woodpeckers we don't get in the UK', and here you are with a black one. Thanks. Lovely looking bird. I like the 2nd - typical woodpecker pose, just not a typical UK woodpecker.

Very fine shots. Does the red crown patch make it a female with the male having more extensive red or is this a male? Certainly a new woodpecker for me.

Back