Blackout material for darkroom WHICH IS NOW UP AND RUNNING!

Asha

Blithering Idiot
Name
Asha
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys

I need rcommendations for blackout material for windows.

Also a practical, easily applied and removed way of attaching said material to upvc frames.

I was thinking some sort of gaffa tape but need to find something strong enough to hold material securely in place but just as importantly a product that will remove easily without leaving a residue, or at least a residue that requires no more than soapy water to remove without damaging the framework.

Ideas and links to products please.

Cheers

I use the heavy black plastic that you can/could buy in garden centres to put down to stop weeds.

This isn't really a recommendation, more a description of something that wasn't entirely satisfactory.

I was given some heavy black plastic, in various shapes and sizes, at the same time as I was given a whole load of other darkroom stuff. For a while I did use this to black out a second bathroom, which was my semi-permanent darkroom. It was attached to two windows with gaffer tape.

However the gaffer tape needed frequent attention as it tended to come away at certain points and let light in (perhaps not helped by humidity in the room).

Recently I decided to take the material down as I have purchased a second hand Nova Darkroom Tent. I'm now left with quite a bit of tape residue on UPVC window frames and wall tiles. I haven't yet made a concerted effort to remove it, but it is certainly going to take some effort.

You could perhaps do some trials putting on and off different brands of tape - although it's not cheap.

Yes I think the tape is going to be the biggest headache tbh.
Black thick plastic / polythene sheeting sounds ideal and reckon will be available from the village stores.
As for tape, I don’t intend for the blackout to be more than a few hours at a time tbh, just long enough to do the work that I wish to do at any given s’darkroom session.
I actually plan on using through the night which will help with keeping light entry issues to a minimum ( think Edward Weston ;))
So theoretically there shouldn’t be too long a contact of upvc and tape adhesive, however I know from using masking tape years ago for home decorating of windows, it didn’t take long for it to stick in such a way that removal from the glass was nigh on impossible without use of a Stanley knife blade.....an option not only impossible to use on upvc but one that is unacceptable this time round.

I'd make simple timber frames that are a close fit in the window reveal and staple the blackout material to the frames. Use some thick felt or foam pipe insulation (camping mat, etc) to make the fit nice a snug so that the blackout is just a push fit. Depends on the shape of your windows of course.

20190919_204339.jpg

I use a sheet of hardboard. P section draught seal stuck/stapled to side nearest window for light trap. Old foam 'rubber' strips stuck to room side overlapping hardboard edges to act as a friction grip on frame surround. Had to add two string handles at each end in order to pull it away from frame.

I need you diy practical guys here to help me out ..... fancy a south of France TP filmie meet ?? Lol

Last edited:
I’ve got blackout blinds in the bedroom. Girlfriend can’t sleep if there’s a bit of light in the mornings. When I’ve done stuff In the evenings I’ve put a towel over the top and it’s been fine.

Try super strong Velcro to fix it, great stuff, I have a light shelf held up with this stuff.
Comes in various lengths up to 25m https://www.screwfix.com/p/velcro-brand-black-heavy-duty-stick-on-tape-1-x-50mm/21670

I'm up for a meet most places, like to travel and got plenty of Eurostar club points, trains now to Nice and Marseilles

Actually depending how much weight polythene sheeting places on the adhesive, the strong Velcro may be a vg option as my windows slide open and as such one is recessed in the frame the other flushwith the frame. When open one slides behind / in front of the other.
Basically a sheet of whatever material sitting flush up against the internal window, thus the exterior framework of the complete window set up would worki think.
I hope to be at home tomorrow and be able to add a photo on here to make it easier to explain.

As for a meet, I hope to be in the uk in a couple of weeks or so but without doubt folk are welcome to come here .... I live only a fairly short train journey from Nice in the hills!

When I’ve done stuff In the evenings I’ve put a towel over the top and it’s been fine

Towel over the girlfriend? Wait... This is TMI...

Actually depending how much weight polythene sheeting places on the adhesive, the strong Velcro may be a vg option as my windows slide open and as such one is recessed in the frame the other flushwith the frame. When open one slides behind / in front of the other.
Basically a sheet of whatever material sitting flush up against the internal window, thus the exterior framework of the complete window set up would worki think.
I hope to be at home tomorrow and be able to add a photo on here to make it easier to explain.

As for a meet, I hope to be in the uk in a couple of weeks or so but without doubt folk are welcome to come here .... I live only a fairly short train journey from Nice in the hills!

That Velcro will have no problem holding up polythene sheeting.
I use it for many things, plug strips on side of my computer desk, couple of framed photos, securing flap on camera messenger bag and shelf in cupboard to name but a few.
Organised a couple of meets and did think semi seriously of trying one somewhere like Paris or Brussels

Last edited:
Just thought I also used it to secure an insect screen on my daughters bedroom upvc window frame.
Been on there two years or more now and still stuck fast, screen got pulled up and down every day in the summer

Last edited:
What will you attach the velcro with..??

Yeah, I've been there

Ended up with a timber frame with blackout blind material stapled to it, it just kinda jams in to the window recess flat against the window frame, couple of handles on it make it easy to remove.
Not that I do remove it, might as well have just painted the glass black..lol

You could try gaffer tape, real gaffer tape is designed for theatre use and comes off cleanly but sticks like duck tape.

I'm sure someone's got this thread all taped.

I have an easier time of it, as my darkroom doesn't have a window, only a door to worry about, and the sheeting is used as a curtain to draw across the door to prevent light coming in, so no need for tape.

Having measured approx the windows etc and assessed fixing points, I’ve done some searching to see what is readily available locally at a price that doesn’t break the bank.
As such, I have bought the plastic sheeting and gaffa tape as an initial attempt to see if/ how effective it is.
According to the destructions on the tape packaging it states no residue even if left in place for 6 months so we’ll see....

Darkroom now up and running!

Had a play this evening and got a print that I'm happy with bearing in mind that this is the first ever attempt at wet printing unaccompanied since I was a teenager some 35 years ago.

Many thanks to everyone who offered advice, links and materials.
Special thanks to @desf for his very kind gesture of a safelight which is just perfect and @StephenM who has been a goldmine of information and offered huge support.

The only way now is onward and forward ….Plenty to learn and lots of fun and frustration to experience!

IMG_0903.JPG

Last edited:
Well done, and have fun. Just out of interest, is that a satin surface paper?

Well done, and have fun. Just out of interest, is that a satin surface paper?

I reckon it's a paper that's older than I am tbh as it has a price tag of £0.68 for 10 sheets.

Ilford ILFOBROM IB2. 26K Velvet Stipple Double Weight

I reckon it's a paper that's older than I am tbh as it has a price tag of £0.68 for 10 sheets.

Ilford ILFOBROM IB2. 26K Velvet Stipple Double Weight

Used to love Velvet Stipple - may have a sheet or two left. Took transparent oil colours really well, used the Kodak set my mother bought before WW2 !

Back