Blackpool by Night

A really great set,nice exposures.(y)

Something different. No #1 for me the pick of the bunch. Love the foreground wedge of colour from the tram/bus/whatever

#1 is the pick for me as well (y)

Over all a good set of photos, it's a fantastic place for night time photography during the illuminations...

#1..I like it but would look at applying a little bit of perspective correction to it, I'd knock back the highlights a little, this would with a slight boost to the colours really make it pop, I also crop a little from the bottom and the LHS so that the tram would run completely through the scene..

#2..looks like it needs some CCW rotation and perspective correction but to be honest it's doing little to me, if the static tram had been closer it would have improve the image for me.

#3..again I'd prefer if the tram went fully through frame, but to be honest the composition is let down by have a lamppost in front of the tower

#4..I love that you went for a static shot of the illuminated tram it's one of my regrets of not getting it when I was up there last year, but it would have massively improve the scene if you had waited till it was much closer to you in the scene, you would have also benefited by taking a couple of steps to your left as this would have moved the tower out from behind that lamppost

#5..the whole scene is a bit too dark for me it's not really doing it for me it doesn't screen illuminations

#6..the wet pavement really adds to it given the reflection it gives plus the fact that its the boat tram but its lost in frame and for me there are too many distractions, truth be told I think you'd have been better served not worrying about the tower and getting a lot closer into the tracks and concentrating on the tram

#7..different I like it but I wonder would the have been an option to shoot it from a different angle with less distracting background, probably not knowing Blackpool :LOL:

#8..It shows how close the roller coaster is to homes :LOL: what I would say is it would've been better to have moved a few paces further on to avoid having that lamppost right on the edge of frame as its really highlighting the distortion and draws the eye

Thanks for the constructive feedback Matthew. Lamposts are a damn nuisance when photographing the illuminations!! Although I do like the star affects they create on some of the long exposure shots. With regard to the 'dancing water' photos #7, it's in the middle of the Pleasure Beach and that view is the least cluttered background I could've got, from other angles I would've got rides, burger bars or amusements lol.
The lit up trams are very hard to photograph I find, when they were moving I couldn't get a fast enough shutter speed to not get any blurring even bumping the ISO right up (I did only have my 18-55 lens on). The two shots with the lit up trams in front of the tower were taken from a distance and the tram was actually moving but quite slowly so because of the distance there wasn't the blurring.
The shot with the 'Big One' rollercoaster is again at the Pleasure Beach, I was stood just acroos the road, the row of buildings at the front are shops not houses :)
I guess it's just a learning curve, knowing the best places to stand, where the trams slow down or stop (the lit up ones are tours so don't stop at the regular tram stops) and trying to avoid the lamposts, which is quite difficult.
Thanks again(y)

We used to live there - in fact my mother-in-law is an ex-Blackpool landlady o_O and go back visiting regularly. Never seem to get the camera out though.

I like them all but feel they all need just a hint of pop. Maybe a touch of vibrance to liven them up.

I could be wrong, I often am.

Back