Critique Blackpool - Dabbling with long exposures

Name
Ken
Edit My Images
Yes
I've only had a couple of attempts at landscape photography before, but I was in Blackpool at the weekend and knew I would have a couple of hours spare early on Sunday morning, so I took the camera bag and tripod. Decided to break out the little used B+W 10 stop ND filter. The 'sea shell' is actually on Cleveleys beach, while I'm sure Blackpool North Pier needs no introduction:

All constructive criticism appreciated, whether on composition, technical aspects or pp.

Blackpool1a by Ken McN, on Flickr

Blackpool2a by Ken McN, on Flickr

Great subjects, cool renditions…
just a tad too much silk for me! :cool:

#2 is a bit meh, sorry.

The first one yhough works very well. The ever decreasing spiral of the shell is nicely balanced and this is definitely one occasion where the use of a stopper adds to the image giving a surreal feel to it. Even the almost invisible horizon just about works (perhaps better if no horizon?? not sure ...). Nice colour palette too.

#2 is a bit meh, sorry.
I'm not entirely sure what 'meh' means, but I could probably hazard a guess! :) That said, I was just tinkering with the ND as a bit of fun / experimentation.

The first one yhough works very well. The ever decreasing spiral of the shell is nicely balanced and this is definitely one occasion where the use of a stopper adds to the image giving a surreal feel to it. Even the almost invisible horizon just about works (perhaps better if no horizon?? not sure ...). Nice colour palette too.
Thank you. Perhaps you would have preferred something more aligned with the original RAW image, where the sky and horizon were a lot less obvious?!

Than you for taking the time to look and to comment.

Ken

No1 for me.
I keep revisiting the image, it looks fabulous.
I had the variable ND 8-stop bought for me as a Christmas Present, - I really must get out and try it, based on this inspirational image.

the first shot for me i would also like to see a mono conversion of it

good work

Was at this location on Tuesday, you have used the long exposures well, as others have said B/W might be worth a look and with that some more contrast might be worth a look.
The first image is my favourite.

Great subjects, cool renditions…
just a tad too much silk for me! :cool:
Thank you. Funnily I took a few with shorter exposures and more texture, but I preferred this one. :)

Both look great to me, especially picture 1 - really like that.
Thank you very much.

One is good, and I like the subtle tones. Two might work in B&W better.
Thanks for the compliment and suggestion. I also like the subtle tones in #2, but will certainly consider having a bash at B&W.

I'd agree with Steve about the second one maybe working better in B&W, lovely shot all the same. I absolutely love the shell though, spot on!!
Kind words. Thank you.

No1 for me.
I keep revisiting the image, it looks fabulous.
I had the variable ND 8-stop bought for me as a Christmas Present, - I really must get out and try it, based on this inspirational image.
Thank you so much for the compliment. I hope you get out soon with the ND. I hadn't had mine out of it's box for over 3 years I think. I shuffled up and down and back and forth and ended up on the steps to get an angle I was happy with, showing the decreasing shell spiral head on.

the first shot for me i would also like to see a mono conversion of it
good work
Thanks Tam. I'm glad you like it. I think I'll stick with the colour version of the shell for now. The cool palette seems to work nicely.

Was at this location on Tuesday, you have used the long exposures well, as others have said B/W might be worth a look and with that some more contrast might be worth a look. The first image is my favourite.
Thank you Richard. These were from last Sunday between 6-8am. I'll bear your recommendations in mind.

Back