B&W Blackpool - So I tried a B&W conversion

The tones in the original were so cool… I don't
think that monochrome is the better option.

The tones in the original were so cool… I don't
think that monochrome is the better option.
Thanks for the input. Thought I would give it a try as several had suggested it may work better. Perhaps it's just MY conversion that doesn't work. :(

Didn't see the original colour version but struggle to see how it's better than this. It's superb.
You've processed this really well, especially around the steps leading in to the water. It's sort of similar to how Billy Currie processes, you haven't been on one of his workshops by chance?
If it was mine I'd be tempted to run a brush over the pier to reduce the sharpening just to softening it a little. There's a lot going on with tons of micro detail which is slightly at odds with the soft yet detailed steps and LE textured sky.

Edit: now seen the colour version, much prefer this.

Thought I would give it a try as several had suggested it may work better.
when your mind is not made up, it is cool to listen to
suggestions… but don't get lost.
Perhaps it's just MY conversion that doesn't work
Your conversion is technically ok but I have difficulties
with the toning.

Didn't see the original colour version but struggle to see how it's better than this. It's superb.
You've processed this really well, especially around the steps leading in to the water. It's sort of similar to how Billy Currie processes, you haven't been on one of his workshops by chance?
If it was mine I'd be tempted to run a brush over the pier to reduce the sharpening just to softening it a little. There's a lot going on with tons of micro detail which is slightly at odds with the soft yet detailed steps and LE textured sky.

Edit: now seen the colour version, much prefer this.
Scott, I assure you any similarities you may see with Billy Currie's work are pure fluke. I didn't give any local attention to the steps other than perhaps a little contrast. The steps were wet from the receding tide and the light did the rest. Funnily, I actually added a little sharpening to the pier at the last minute. Thanks very much for your kind words. I'm just trying my hand at landscape but haven't had much chance to get out because of a bad back. Hope to get out a lot more soon, as I really enjoyed myself last time out.

I'm just trying my hand at landscape but haven't had much chance to get out because of a bad back. Hope to get out a lot more soon, as I really enjoyed myself last time out.
You have my sympathies, back pain has seriously curtailed my photography this last 12-18 months. Wish I had an answer or advice but don't.
The pain doesn't stop me from going out, it's the constant fatigue from sleep deprivation because of the pain.
Regards Billy's work, your steps, sky, tones and exposure are very reminiscent of his stuff.

it's the constant fatigue from sleep deprivation because of the pain.
Regards Billy's work, your steps, sky, tones and exposure are very reminiscent of his stuff.
Absolutely. I don't remember a night where I slept more than 2-3 hours straight, and it catches up with you! I'll have a look for Billy's work, you've piqued my interest.

p.s Now I'm developing a taste for the landscapes, I'm so looking forward to my next trip up to D&G. We visit Kirkcudbright once or twice a year, so I imagine I may spend some time down near the water. I wonder if you're familiar with the location, as I see you have many fantastic images from around Scotland on your Flickr page.

Ken

We visit Kirkcudbright once or twice a year, so I imagine I may spend some time down near the water. I wonder if you're familiar with the location, as I see you have many fantastic images from around Scotland on your Flickr page.

Ken

Thanks. Don't know Kirkcudbright at all. Tend not to venture further south than Loch Tulla. :)
Prefer it up north.

Billy is one of the nicest guys you could meet along with being one of the best all round photographers in the UK.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/billycurrie

This version is much nicer than the colour, I really like it.

You've made Blackpool look quite nice, that takes some doing!

I like the colour version but I prefer this mono, great contrast & toning, nice one.

This has a completely different atmosphere to the original, they may as well be considered as different shots, and I like both, but I prefer this one, it's a more powerful image to me.

I really like this rendition,
Thank you sir

This has a completely different atmosphere to the original, they may as well be considered as different shots.
Yes, I'm also growing to appreciate both separately for what they are, especially when reinforced by all the kind comments on here. Thank you.

I'm a big fan of B&W and this is just perfect, I love it!
I hugely appreciate your comments. In fact I've been overwhelmed by the totally unexpected level of positive feedback for what is essentially one of my first landscape images. I don't accept your assertion that it's perfect, but I do love that you love it.

Thanks all

Ken

Last edited:
Back