Blakester's 52 for 2021 - Week 34 added - Glass(es) "Self Portrait"

Must be a hardcore cyclist with glasses like those.... :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Overall a very good image, suiting the theme very well.

Pete

Did you flip the image?

Only the writing is the right way around.

Is it a reflection of a reflection?

Really like it Iain. Especially the colours and composition. I find reflections fascinating.

Nicely taken.

Did you flip the image?

Only the writing is the right way around.

Looks very familiar too - just spent about an hour removing the chain, derailleur and cassette to give mine a good clean, That's Ultegra too.

Thanks Kell,
Yes, I flipped the image back as I wanted the writing to be legible.
I quite like a bit of tinkering with my bikes too. It's quite satisfying when it's all clean and good to go, isn't it?

Must be a hardcore cyclist with glasses like those.... :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Overall a very good image, suiting the theme very well.

Pete

Thanks Pete, I'm not sure about hardcore :D but I am quite into cycling. I do between 100-150miles each week. Kept it up through winter too.

Is it a reflection of a reflection?

Really like it Iain. Especially the colours and composition. I find reflections fascinating.

Thanks Ian, as mentioned above, I flipped the image back so as the writing was correct. It just looked 'better' to me.

Thanks Kell,
Yes, I flipped the image back as I wanted the writing to be legible.
I quite like a bit of tinkering with my bikes too. It's quite satisfying when it's all clean and good to go, isn't it?

Certainly is.

Makes a difference too.

Took an FTP test on Thursday.

Took it again today and added another 13 Watts with a clean chain and the turbo tyre back on.

Certainly is.

Makes a difference too.

Took an FTP test on Thursday.

Took it again today and added another 13 Watts with a clean chain and the turbo tyre back on.

I'm not that sophisticated, I don't have an indoor set up, power meter or anything :D

Yep - nailed that one :)

That's really tidy, the thin DOF sucks your eye to the detail in the lens, and the OOF parts all contribute to the composition. Nice tones too.
If I was looking hard for something to change I might have tried to cover the grey bit sticking out underneath the arm, with the arm, if that makes sense... just to make it a tiny bit cleaner. But it looks great as it is.

That's really tidy, the thin DOF sucks your eye to the detail in the lens, and the OOF parts all contribute to the composition. Nice tones too.
If I was looking hard for something to change I might have tried to cover the grey bit sticking out underneath the arm, with the arm, if that makes sense... just to make it a tiny bit cleaner. But it looks great as it is.
Thanks Nick. covering the grey bit would I think be a job for photoshop. It was a bit fiddly setting the whole thing up, I missed the finer details.

Nice, really creative idea, incorporating another hobby. The bike chain looks lovely, good 'n clean.

I’m on my iPad and easily confused. I came to comment on reflection - love the sunglasses pic which I can no longer see - the ultegra subject and helmet to give context, really work.
The link took me to the crystal ball - also reflection? Also a great shot that works well and is nicely lit.

Nice, really creative idea, incorporating another hobby. The bike chain looks lovely, good 'n clean.

Thanks David, I am a bit ocd when it comes to cleaning my bikes haha.

I’m on my iPad and easily confused. I came to comment on reflection - love the sunglasses pic which I can no longer see - the ultegra subject and helmet to give context, really work.
The link took me to the crystal ball - also reflection? Also a great shot that works well and is nicely lit.

Thanks Bebop, not sure what is going on with the link but it seems to be working fine :thinking:

Very pleasing Iain, and very much up to your usual standard (y)

Reflection
Love the reflection of the chain and sprocket. Overall a well composed image.

I have a few of these polystyrene heads (don't ask :D ) and you are quite welcome to have one or two (male & female) if you wish

Thanks for the kind offer, hopefully I can pickup one when we can get back to the shops!
Will definitely keep it in mind though, probably shouldn't be adding more "props" to the man cave though!!

really nice image for reflection and you can definitely see what it is, all of the elements add up to your chosen subject and the PP is great.

Great composition. The reflection could almost be sitting behind... really well placed.

Reflection
Well composed image, with the shallow DOF focusing my attention. I wonder how the image would look with the chainset in the middle of the lens to act as an eye.

Onto week 10 - Rough.
Again back to an abstract(ish) image, this is colourful sandpaper arranged into geometric shapes.
Comments and critique welcome as always.

Week 10 - Rough by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Reflection
Well composed image, with the shallow DOF focusing my attention. I wonder how the image would look with the chainset in the middle of the lens to act as an eye.

Thanks Stuart, it was quite the faff to get the reflection in the lens but that's a great suggestion about it being more central.

Yep Really like it. Works very well.

Did you have any red? :)

Very bright and colourful, and a good take on the theme.

Thanks Paul.

Yep Really like it. Works very well.

Did you have any red? :)

Thanks Ian. No, no red I'm afraid. My Scottishness kicked in. I thought I had the necessary props in the shed to shoot this but could only find the yellow sandpaper. Went out to B&Q, [essential journey ;)] and purchased the blue and green for £17. My budget couldn't stretch to red :).

Gotta take the rough with the smooth with these themes :)

Nice one :)

Rough, nicely presented as always Iain

I love this - love the colours and composition and it's on theme. It reminds me of a puzzle that I've just thrown out because I couldn't find all the parts - I had to try and put it together before I did which was a bit of a challenge.

Gotta take the rough with the smooth with these themes :)

Nice one :)

:) Thanks Dave

Rough, nicely presented as always Iain

Thanks Chris.

Yes definitely another eye catcher Iain, simple but effective, I hope you find a use for your sandpaper purchase :)
l like last weeks too, great reflection and super colours.

Thank you Susie, the sandpaper will be used at some point no doubt. :)

Another creative setup there. Good stuff.

Cheers David.

I love this - love the colours and composition and it's on theme. It reminds me of a puzzle that I've just thrown out because I couldn't find all the parts - I had to try and put it together before I did which was a bit of a challenge.

Thank you Bebop.

That's a really nice, vibrant combination of colours, and the arrangement makes it interesting.

Rough
Lots of rough textures there. Great selection of colours that go well together. Nicely arranged.

Back