Blakester's 52 for 2021 - Week 34 added - Glass(es) "Self Portrait"

I'd be happy with either of those, but the second shot is the winner for me. I prefer the motif, but technically (I guess) I prefer the gentler shadows.

It's not good when you don't feel it. Happens to me almost every week I think!

I do think the wire bunny & egg are awesome though and I love the minimalist "high key" sort of exposure. Keeps the image bright, uplifting and "Spring"'y.

Thumbs up from me!

Thanks Ian.
It just feels like going through the motions at times. Maybe it's just part of finding my photography mojo?

I love these wire figures. To me the second one is more representative of Easter. Do you make them specially?

I agree with @Harlequin565 re high key, minimalism and awesomeness.

Edit: How big are they?

Thanks Bebop.
Yes, each one has been made specially for the themes. The bunny and the egg are about 6" tall, not including the 'stem'. The daffodil is about 10" tall, including the stem.

I'd be happy with either of those, but the second shot is the winner for me. I prefer the motif, but technically (I guess) I prefer the gentler shadows.

Thanks for looking in Nick. The second one seems to be the favoured image for this weeks theme

Week 14 - Spring.
Sorry, not sorry about my subject this week, I couldn't help myself as the idea 'sprung' to mind and I couldn't shake it.
Comment and critique welcome as always.

Week 14 - Spring by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Easter
They both look amazing, I appreciate the skill you have. The second one is my pick.

Spring
Having that shadow really makes this shot great. Again I think this is an amazing piece of work.

Easter
They both look amazing, I appreciate the skill you have. The second one is my pick.

Spring
Having that shadow really makes this shot great. Again I think this is an amazing piece of work.

Thanks Dominic.
On the second shot, I felt that the subject did need something just to lift it away from a straight record shot.
With a plain white background, a shadow was the only thing I could come up with.

You've excelled yourself this week. That is fantastic and, as said, the shadow adds to the final image. Love the tail!

Springer Spaniel? :)

I really like the hard light and the shadow against the pure white (so pure, in fact, that I had to click through to Flickr to see what the composition was)

You've excelled yourself this week. That is fantastic and, as said, the shadow adds to the final image. Love the tail!

Thanks Helen, I felt it did need the hard shadow to give it something different to a straight record shot.

Springer Spaniel? :)

I really like the hard light and the shadow against the pure white (so pure, in fact, that I had to click through to Flickr to see what the composition was)

Cheers Nick, :ROFLMAO: springer spaniel, now that's clever.
I was thinking slinky dog haha

On the background point, I used a little work light to cast the shadow for the dog which was placed on a white board acting as an infinity curve. I enhanced the white background in photoshop by boosting the exposure.

Last edited:
It's strange but the fact that it's so white and completely blends with the forum BG really enhances it. When I click through I kinda miss the extra space in front of its nose.

Best springy spring shot yet :)

Easter, I prefer the 2nd one, very clever and creative.

Spring, again very clever and creative, the shadow makes it.

Pete

Easter, I prefer the 2nd one, very clever and creative.

Spring, again very clever and creative, the shadow makes it.

Pete

Thanks Pete.

That must have taken some work to build!
I do like the hard lighting, giving the strong shadow closer to the camera, yet with the source completely out of view.

Thanks Tim. It did take a bit of working out to start it off but once I got into it, the creation got a little more straightforward.
Yes, I do think it needed the shadow to add a certain element to it.

Onto week 15 and photographer's choice.
I had a bit of a walkabout around Cambridge today. First time in a while and trying to get my eye in again for an image.
There are a few I was happy with and I will post them below but for now this is my choice for this weeks theme.

Week 15 - Open Choice by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Really like the Spring shot, but the silhouette one very much caught me eye. Really nice pools of light in it.

Nice silhouette with the couple acting as the point of interest. I like the T-rex one as well , the tones of the metal are well captured.

Pete

Like all three :)

Your spring shot is superb, one to get into mounted onto a wall.

Thanks Simon, I may get it printed at some point.

Really like the Spring shot, but the silhouette one very much caught me eye. Really nice pools of light in it.

Thanks Ian, I think of the 3 for this week, the silhouette is my favoured one.

Nice silhouette with the couple acting as the point of interest. I like the T-rex one as well , the tones of the metal are well captured.

Pete

Thanks Pete

Like all three :)

Thank you Dave.

Onto week 15 and photographer's choice.
I had a bit of a walkabout around Cambridge today. First time in a while and trying to get my eye in again for an image.
There are a few I was happy with and I will post them below but for now this is my choice for this weeks theme.

Week 15 - Open Choice by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Love this. Great monochrome, loving the patterns and the sunlight and of course getting someone in the doorway really works, as does the whole shot as even the sun direction is pointing and leading us right through the photograph.

A good day out with the camera then!! I really like your submission - particularly the way you have leading lines with the lights in the roof as well as below with the handrail and the light coming through the arches. To top it all you have some people in the light at the end of your tunnel. A very strong shot!

I think your chosen shot is definitely the most striking of the submissions. The harsh shadows create a great image.

Love this. Great monochrome, loving the patterns and the sunlight and of course getting someone in the doorway really works, as does the whole shot as even the sun direction is pointing and leading us right through the photograph.

Thanks Paul. I'm pleased how this came out despite the harsh lighting.

Great Spring shot Iain, the refelection definitely makes it.

I think it‘s #1 for Snapper Choice for me, there are times when only mono will do, I really like the extra dark tones in there.

Thanks Susie. Yes, I think mono was the only way to go with this IMHO

A good day out with the camera then!! I really like your submission - particularly the way you have leading lines with the lights in the roof as well as below with the handrail and the light coming through the arches. To top it all you have some people in the light at the end of your tunnel. A very strong shot!

Yes, I enjoyed the day out very much Bebop, it's been too long.
Thanks for your kind comments.

I think your chosen shot is definitely the most striking of the submissions. The harsh shadows create a great image.

Thanks Helen, much appreciated.

Snappers choice
Really like the composition and the harsh light and shadows.

Thanks Dominic.

Loving the street work Iain. Strong use of silhouette in the harsh lighting. Brilliant.

Thank you Tim, I am enjoying getting back out there.

Week 16 - Out and About
I took the opportunity to have a bit of a walkabout the Barbican area after work today as it will be the only chance I get to get 'out and about' this week.
I have chosen one which most appeals to me but there are a few others which I considered.

Week 16 - Out and About by Iain Blake, on Flickr

I really like your chosen picture. The colour, the woman's shadow, and the crazy way that people walk around busy streets with their heads stuck into a phone.

I love all of these shots. The one you’ve chosen is great. The position and pose of the woman is perfect - with the lines converging towards her head. Love it!

Agree with all the comments above. The top down shot is brilliant. Also really like "Abstract Architecture". You do have a great eye for colour.

All good shots but No1 is a super street shot - love it.

I like all of them, but I think for me #4 would have been the pick.
Because it is just so unusual / out of the ordinary. it leaves the viewer wondering what on earth it's all about, which I feel is the key to a compelling photo.

Back