Blakester's 52 for 2021 - Week 34 added - Glass(es) "Self Portrait"

Another clever picture, you have quite the imagination.

Fantastic image Iain. So clean and sharp. Beautifully controlled lighting and an innovative subject.

Excellent work.

Another clever picture, you have quite the imagination.

Martin, thank you, it's not a unique subject/image but again I hope to put my spin on it.

Fantastic image Iain. So clean and sharp. Beautifully controlled lighting and an innovative subject.

Excellent work.

Thanks Ian, a frustrating subject to set up but I am happy with the outcome.

Another clever concept Iain (y)

Lovely creative 'pair' shot. Great idea. I think the blades might be facing the wrong way though :exit:

I love your cyclist sculpture - very clever again. And all those wire flowers - just lovely! You could sell those.

Hi Iain,

Pair - Brilliantly done. I wouldn't have had the patience to get that to work. (y)
Snappers - Very clever and a powerful image. The heartbeats even more so in the current climate.
I think I slightly prefer "3 Flowers" though. Can't quite put my finger on why. Perhaps because it's high key ?

Hi Iain,

Pair - Brilliantly done. I wouldn't have had the patience to get that to work. (y)
Snappers - Very clever and a powerful image. The heartbeats even more so in the current climate.
I think I slightly prefer "3 Flowers" though. Can't quite put my finger on why. Perhaps because it's high key ?

Thanks Tim,
Glad you like them, cheers

Another cracker. Obviously the idea is the star, but I really love the tones in the metal from the reflected light.

Another cracker. Obviously the idea is the star, but I really love the tones in the metal from the reflected light.
Thanks Nick, I can't lay claim to the idea/concept but happy to put my spin on it.

Your flower sculptures would make a great set of prints for on the wall Iain.
Love the ’scissors‘ another excellent creative shot, I’m really enjoying your weekly offerings.

Thank you again Susie, such kind comments.
I will get them printed, definitely.

That's very clever. Took me a while to figure out the bottom is a reflection of the top. The blurry edges give it away for me.

Thanks Stan (y)

I'm slowly catching up on people's 52's after a busy start to the year and it's been a pleasure going through yours, so much imagination through all the subjects and presented immaculately. It's difficult to pick any out from so many good shots but I did particularly like the fruit pineapple and the stone shots.

This week's one was another outstanding shot, it's not a concept that I had seen before and although it looks simple I'm sure it's not to get everything perfect as you have,

Looking forward to following your 52 through the year.

Very nicely done Iain and great processing too.

Thank you Pete.

I'm slowly catching up on people's 52's after a busy start to the year and it's been a pleasure going through yours, so much imagination through all the subjects and presented immaculately. It's difficult to pick any out from so many good shots but I did particularly like the fruit pineapple and the stone shots.

This week's one was another outstanding shot, it's not a concept that I had seen before and although it looks simple I'm sure it's not to get everything perfect as you have,

Looking forward to following your 52 through the year.

Thanks Steve for such kind comments.

Week 7 - (depict) a film.
More still life, more shadow play from me. I have a few ideas but this is the first which has come to fruition.
Comments and critique welcome as always.

I have attached a behind the scenes (bts) shot just to show how I made it.
I drew and cut out my shadow 'template' on card, cut a slot in another piece of card and fed the template through it to support. I directed a small work light to create the shadow, moved it around for the desired effect, then took my shot from directly above. The edge of the template can be seen just at the bottom of the shadow in my main image. Minimal processing to get the look I was after, just to bring some more shadow down from the top.

Week 7 - Film Theme by Iain Blake, on Flickr

DSC_3844.jpg

Comments reposted from "the wrong place" - oops!

Iain, thanks for showing the behind the scenes. As I scrolled down, I *really* liked the top half, but I found the lower half too sharp, and there was something odd on the lower edge (now I now it was the card support).

I think you could have cropped just above the eyes for a better effect.

Comments reposted from "the wrong place" - oops!

Iain, thanks for showing the behind the scenes. As I scrolled down, I *really* liked the top half, but I found the lower half too sharp, and there was something odd on the lower edge (now I now it was the card support).

I think you could have cropped just above the eyes for a better effect.

Thanks Paul, I get what you are saying, and you're not wrong. However, it was a conscious decision to leave the [lets call them artefacts] in there. I didn't want it crisp all over or slightly blurred either. I wanted the viewer to realise it's a shadow and it's a photograph rather than thinking it was created in photoshop say. I hope that makes sense? Your points are quite valid but just I had a reasoning behind it. Thanks again for looking in.

great use of light, I don't mind the sharpness of the eyes, what film is it by the way :LOL:

Thanks Allan :D

The mask is very cleverly done and creative. As for the wire bending, you seem to be very good at that.

Cheers Stan, I do enjoy the wire bending, I enjoy the creative nature of it, I find it therapeutic and satisfying.

No problem guessing the film on this one. I agree, it could be improved by cropping out the supporting card which creates a slightly distracting line. All that said a very effective shot.

No problem guessing the film on this one. I agree, it could be improved by cropping out the supporting card which creates a slightly distracting line. All that said a very effective shot.

Thanks Helen, cropping the card out was a consideration, I know where people are coming from about it but I decided to leave it in as in some way of an explanation of how it was done by shadow.

Back