Blakester's 52 for 2021 - Week 34 added - Glass(es) "Self Portrait"

I think I’d have been happy to submit any of your rejects.

All excellent. Beautifully composed and processed.

I think some of the others do immediately say ‘tall’ more the submission, but as I love the shot, I’m not going to argue the toss. It’s still a very tall 5.

Thanks Kell, I was happy with all the shots I made for the theme but my submission was first choice.

Sometimes I love living on the coast and other times (like when I see towering architectural photos) I really wish there were some sky high buildings around here! All super photos but I think the main one was the best choice, very appropriate for the times we’re living in, super colour and composition.

Thanks Susie, I was a little fortunate to have wandered that way and to have captured the shot and conditions.

Iain,
I am loving your stone images, I really like the feet one so I am going to say that's my favourite due to the lighting and colouring. The others look like they should be in shadow boxes on the wall or one a canvas. Im guessing you live near the beach.

some very nice 'street' shots, I like the original with the 5, as the reflection really adds to it for me. The colours and exposure are really nice.

Cracking shot I have to say and can't say anything above and beyond what's been said already.

Iain,
I am loving your stone images, I really like the feet one so I am going to say that's my favourite due to the lighting and colouring. The others look like they should be in shadow boxes on the wall or one a canvas. Im guessing you live near the beach.

Thanks Heather, I have seen similar things being sold on etsy etc, stones in shadow boxes but I prefer creating the image then dismantling it.
Haha, no, I live in rural Essex near the Suffolk border, I have a collection of pebbles that I use for some of my photography.

Breathtaking set. Nothing between any of them. All first class.

Thanks David, such kind comments.

some very nice 'street' shots, I like the original with the 5, as the reflection really adds to it for me. The colours and exposure are really nice.

Thanks Jim, I do enjoy street photography I must admit.

Cracking shot I have to say and can't say anything above and beyond what's been said already.

Thanks Helen.

Very nice decisive moment shot, with the reflection from the wet setting it off. Right shot from the contenders for me!

Thank you, I think the image really needs a person in there and luckily I didn't have to wait long for one to come along.

Week 5 - Snappers choice.
Back to still life I'm afraid, weather has been atrocious here so I opted for an indoor shoot again.
This is linked to one of my other hobbies, cycling and I was able to indulge myself in a bit of creativity in wire bending/sculpting.
I made this today, very satisfying I must say.

Week 5 - Cycling Pulse by Iain Blake, on Flickr

This is just fab Iain. Not only is it a really nicely presented image, it shows your skill in other areas. I think any attempt I made would look like the incredible melting man.

This is just fab Iain. Not only is it a really nicely presented image, it shows your skill in other areas. I think any attempt I made would look like the incredible melting man.

Thanks Ian.
It's an enjoyable pastime for me creating this sort of thing. Not particularly challenging photographically wise but I don't mind that once in a while.

Excellent.. I have a few cycling friends who would love this.

Thanks Helen.

Very creative, and as always, nicely taken and presented Iain

A bit behind with comments I'm afraid!

Tall: A teriffic shot. Love the composition, use of the light and the reflections.
Snapper's: A nice piece of creativity.

Choice
Lovely but of wire bending. Nicely highlighted in the center, it really draws the eye in.

Choice
Lovely but of wire bending. Nicely highlighted in the center, it really draws the eye in.

Thanks Dominic, I helped it a little in post by adding a gradient top and bottom.

You certainly have a very creative eye Iain, another fabulous creation, I love it :)

Thanks Susie, I do like creating my own props :)

Ha Ha, I first looked at these and thought I was at work reading an ECG now I'm thinking mountains DOH.. you can give a girl a day off but you cant take her mind far from work..
Fantastic take, very creative and something that gave you pleasure to create and then photograph, Win Win situation. I would love to see some more of these.

Ha Ha, I first looked at these and thought I was at work reading an ECG now I'm thinking mountains DOH.. you can give a girl a day off but you cant take her mind far from work..
Fantastic take, very creative and something that gave you pleasure to create and then photograph, Win Win situation. I would love to see some more of these.

Haha thanks Heather, you were correct first time, it is my take on a heartbeat/pulse.
I have one other cycling one and a few others of flowers which I will post below.

Cyclist by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Rose by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Daisy by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Tulip by Iain Blake, on Flickr

3 Flowers by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Great creative shot Iain, works as a pair on a couple of levels but really is just nicely composed and processed very well.

Very very innovative again!

Thanks Paul, I must've been a magpie in a former life, I'm drawn to shiny metal haha.

Great creative shot Iain, works as a pair on a couple of levels but really is just nicely composed and processed very well.

Thanks Bill, I put scissors in my title but hoped that it wasn't really needed as an explanation.

Snappers Choice
I definitely would not have the patience to create your wire art, do you draw a design first or just go with the flow?

Pair
I had to do a double-take, it's a great concept that works well, are you using external lighting on the cutlery?

Snappers Choice
I definitely would not have the patience to create your wire art, do you draw a design first or just go with the flow?

Pair
I had to do a double-take, it's a great concept that works well, are you using external lighting on the cutlery?

Thanks Stuart. Yes, I drew on paper the image to the scale I wanted, then followed round with the wire.
Eta: I drew the cyclist, the flowers were free hand as they are 3D as opposed to flat like the cyclist.

Yes, I used an led 'strip' light I have for portraits above the cutlery. I diffused the light source, shooting it through the diffuser panel from a 5in1 reflector I have. It was then a case of playing with angles and light power to get it how I wanted.

Last edited:
Back