Blashford Lakes..Post 2

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Could only post 8 photos.in first post and I had a few more.

Juvenile Greater Crested Grebe. With both parents and sibling but this one came closer to the hide. Like the swan in the other post it also has blood on its head.I also saw one parent catching and feeding quite large fish to the chicks. I took shots but they were too far out for a decent photo. Well below standards to post.
o73lsk.jpg

Taken from a hide in the woods.
sxiqtd.jpg

nyahxx.jpg

21dpqc0.jpg

x6dbav.jpg

I don't think the Grebe does have blood on it's head, i think the chicks do have a couple of bald spots that seem to take longer to grow feathers than the rest, i have noticed this on nearly every chick i have seen in 3 different locations, oh and being pedantic, it's Great Crested Grebe, not Greater

I presume these are all pretty heavy crops as they all look a little soft to me, what lens/camera combo were you using?

Lovely sharp shot of the Collared Dove.

Do the colours look washed out to anybody else? Just wondering as, on my monitor, the Blue and Great Tit pics don't seem to be yellow where they're supposed to be?

Thanks Rich and Wez.

Rich...Great Crested Grebe..of course. I thought it might have been in a set- to of some sort but from what you say then probably not. Yes..as you say,heavy crops. I've just replied in the first post about that and my feelings on hides/distance/cropping. I was using a Canon 1D 1V and the Canon 400mm f5.6. If that combo doesn't give sharp shots nothing will.lol. No,it's me.

Wez…The yellows do look a bit faded. I hadn't noticed that.As you point out they're usually quite vibrant. Now…this might be interesting. I was at RAF Brize Norton one day,not that long ago and a photographer there looked at one of my incoming plane photos on the LCD and said the sky was far too deep a blue and asked what Picture Style I was on. I had it on 'Landscape' which gives richer colours. He switched it to 'Faithful' which doesn't give the same degree of saturation so maybe I should be selecting that for wildlife. Just a thought.

Thanks Rich and Wez.

Rich...Great Crested Grebe..of course. I thought it might have been in a set- to of some sort but from what you say then probably not. Yes..as you say,heavy crops. I've just replied in the first post about that and my feelings on hides/distance/cropping. I was using a Canon 1D 1V and the Canon 400mm f5.6. If that combo doesn't give sharp shots nothing will.lol. No,it's me.

Wez…The yellows do look a bit faded. I hadn't noticed that.As you point out they're usually quite vibrant. Now…this might be interesting. I was at RAF Brize Norton one day,not that long ago and a photographer there looked at one of my incoming plane photos on the LCD and said the sky was far too deep a blue and asked what Picture Style I was on. I had it on 'Landscape' which gives richer colours. He switched it to 'Faithful' which doesn't give the same degree of saturation so maybe I should be selecting that for wildlife. Just a thought.

To be honest you should be shooting RAW and doing adjustments in the software of your choice.

To be honest you should be shooting RAW and doing adjustments in the software of your choice.

Derek..I always shoot in RAW. However,your post prompted me to see what settings are ignored when shooting RAW and it turns out most are including Pictures. Maybe it was Wez's monitor after all. I'll take a look at other Great Tit photos.Thanks for your input.

Lovely sharp shot of the Collared Dove.

Do the colours look washed out to anybody else? Just wondering as, on my monitor, the Blue and Great Tit pics don't seem to be yellow where they're supposed to be?

Wez..I just checked that. The GT does have a white feather under the wing to the tail..Most of the photos I've looked at have it yellow and smooth,not like this one. Maybe it's a young one not matured so it's not your monitor nor my camera/processing.

Back