Critique Blue hour on Derwentwater

As said on facebook lovely light and conditions.

Two points of detail. YThe askew jetty isn't for me, I prefer the jetty leading straight into the frame. The composition posted the jetty leads you out the the left of the frame, but the best view is over to the warmer light source on the right.

I'd have that pegged at a stronger grad than a 3 stop soft, the very top of the sky is darker than the water, which I am not sure is natural. A 0.6 soft edged might have worked. I can see why you did this, was to allow the exposure to render detail in that jetty, but even a stop less you'd eak that out the raw ok.

Its a really good shot of a familiar scene, and the colours are pretty amazing. The cold blues of the mountain contrasting really well with the warmth of the sunset.

Have to say though, the first thing that struck me when I viewed was the skew on the jetty, maybe you did it that way to offer an alternative composition to the myriad that are already out there but it does spoil the over all effect for me. Sorry

Last edited:
At this angle, I too would rather the jetty be leading in from the right, rather than leading out to the left. It would lead the eye out across the water.
Lovely tones though.

A really nice shot Nick, beautiful tones with detail in the highlights & shadows. Maybe not one of your best shots with regards to composition but still very nice indeed.(y)

George.

That a lovely shot, really like the colour contrast.

As said on facebook lovely light and conditions.

Two points of detail. YThe askew jetty isn't for me, I prefer the jetty leading straight into the frame. The composition posted the jetty leads you out the the left of the frame, but the best view is over to the warmer light source on the right.

I'd have that pegged at a stronger grad than a 3 stop soft, the very top of the sky is darker than the water, which I am not sure is natural. A 0.6 soft edged might have worked. I can see why you did this, was to allow the exposure to render detail in that jetty, but even a stop less you'd eak that out the raw ok.

Terrific colours,

Really lovely photo. Wish I could have captured that.

Mj

Beautiful Nick, awesome composition and colours. Very serene scene wOOOw I'd get that professionally printed LARGE and proudly displayed on a wall.

regards;
Peter
Scotland

Its a really good shot of a familiar scene, and the colours are pretty amazing. The cold blues of the mountain contrasting really well with the warmth of the sunset.

Have to say though, the first thing that struck me when I viewed was the skew on the jetty, maybe you did it that way to offer an alternative composition to the myriad that are already out there but it does spoil the over all effect for me. Sorry

Nice shot but I agree with Steve and I would have liked to see the jetty leading into the frame rather than out of it

At this angle, I too would rather the jetty be leading in from the right, rather than leading out to the left. It would lead the eye out across the water.
Lovely tones though.

A really nice shot Nick, beautiful tones with detail in the highlights & shadows. Maybe not one of your best shots with regards to composition but still very nice indeed.(y)

George.

very nice. I like the composition as well.

Thanks very much everyone! Appreciate the comments, I agree about the angle of the jetty leaning out of the photo :)

Here's another from shortly beforehand that's composed a bit nicer!

Nick :)

You've captured the scene beautifully and this one is better composed :)

Ooooh.....The second one is lovely Nick.

I like the skewed jetty, I don't think it leads the eye out of the shot as the centre post leads nicely to the distant end of the Water.
Did you know there is more in the Lake District than this jetty? :) :LOL:
Har Har!
We went as we'd been scouting some places on hadrians wall for a job the following sunday and the guy i was with wanted to go to!
Thanks for the heads up though lol :runaway:

Both are great shots, I really like no 1 with the smooth water but would agree that the jetty looks best straight on / leading into the frame.

Still good stuff tho!

Love both shots... different like different composition No1 nice, give a bit of an impression that your listing to Port:) Nice silhouettes and pastel colours. with a touch of reflections thrown in.
I think No2 eclipse's No1 though mainly because of that fantastic splash of golden light at the end of the Jetty! lovely image with the really nice pastel colours again. Great Light Nick.
Nice Pair well done(y)

Back