Critique Blue staff

Name
John
Edit My Images
No
A few shots of Reggie, a friends dog that i can get lots more practice with as the owner enjoys long walks but Reg isnt that easy to photograph, although he is well behaved and i know Reggie quite well he only really responds to his owner, hopefully after seeing these photos he might help me out a bit more by standing behind me while i take the photos.

All shot with manual focus and mostly edited with a small amount of split toning (and the greens muted quite a bit), an editing technique i want to learn.

Edit: I've removed the last 3 photos in the hope it may make critique a bit simpler.

_DSC1753 by John Garton, on Flickr
_DSC1764 by John Garton, on Flickr
_DSC1866 by John Garton, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi John.

I'm no expert. I prefer the top photo here and as you already know it would have been fab if the dog was looking into the camera. I would also be tempted to crop out the skyline line so it's all grass and flowers.
May look pants and it's your pref after all.
I like the colours you have acheived.

Gaz

You have similiar shot in your Flickr stream which is stronger imo

Last edited:
Hey Gary.

Thank you for your critique.:ty:

I agree the first is the best image and probably the only "usable" image out of the three.
These were the only 3 in focus shots i could manage with the manual focus lens i was using.

I am glad to hear you like the colours.

I also agree on the crop comment, enlarging the image in flickr shows it as a crop on my screen and i thought it looked right.
_DSC1753 by John Garton, on Flickr

I am aware its not easy offering a critique (Just this reply took around 20mins 30 mins for me to type, re-read then re-type).

Last edited:
Hiya.

I don't feel qualified to give critique to be honest.
My grammer is terrible too.

Keep taking photos you know what your doing !

Gaz

Hiya.

I don't feel qualified to give critique to be honest.
My grammer is terrible too.

Keep taking photos you know what your doing !

Gaz

I dont think many of us do feel qualifiied to give critique, but you offered one and i am grateful for both the comments and the encouragement offered in the post above.:)

Theres nowt wrong with your gramma...;)

Having tried to shoot my dog in a poppy field I understand why you were using manual focus. The shots look sharp and I like the grasses up to a point. That point would probably be shoulder height. I'd like to see a clear look at the face. I agree with the other poster that the sky isn't adding much and I think the crop is the strongest image.

Thank you Simon, as always i am grateful for any critique offered.:)

Having now done the crop i can see you both have a valid point, i hadnt even given the sky a second thought tbh.
I'll keep all advice in mind the next time i get a chance to photograph reggie.

Back