Blue Tit and other

Name
Bryn
Edit My Images
Yes
Had a brief 10 mins and seeing there were some birds in the garden took the oportunity.

Shot with Sigma 150-500mm @ 500mm, not as sharp as I would have liked but they are handheld and I'm still getting used to this lens.

I do wonder if shooting at 400mm with a 1.4x TC would give sharper images? Simple tests seem that 400mm is sharper.

IMG_9919
by bthomas124, on Flickr

2. Any ID appreciated (suspect some type of Finch????)

IMG_9913
by bthomas124, on Flickr

IMG_9916
by bthomas124, on Flickr

All comments appreciated.

:ty:

It's common for a zoom lens to be sharper when tweaked back a little from maximum zoom - I doubt that adding a converter would make it better than max zoom without a converter.

It's common for a zoom lens to be sharper when tweaked back a little from maximum zoom - I doubt that adding a converter would make it better than max zoom without a converter.

Cheers for the confirmation... I will try with dialling back a tad to see if that helps. :)

2nd bird is a Chaffinch

Stick to Macro:muted: :muted:

I didn't get on with the lens for birds either Bryn, even larger captive birds in displays.
Saying that, if you have the opportunity to set up for them in your garden then you should get some good results.

I shot at 500mm all the time with my 150-500 and got some great results- perhaps a mono-pod is the way forward, easier than hand held

Oh and the 2nd bird is a MALE Chaffinch the 1st is a Blue tit and its over exposed the white is totally blown:p hard to nail the exposure on Blue tits

I CAN though :D:D:D

DSC03151 by lesmoxonphotography, on Flickr

here's one I shot @500mm with my old Sigma on a Mono-pod also a Male Chaffinch, getting as close as you can ( Field-craft) also helps whilst shooting birds/wildlife

I have x1.5 TC and it does effect image quality Bryn

DSC05708 by lesmoxonphotography, on Flickr

Les ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
@Lez325 LR didnt suggest that the whites were blown :D I always have show highlights and blacks on so I can see what bits are blown.

It is a crop though too so may be just the softness of that is melding the whites together.

@Lez325 LR didnt suggest that the whites were blown :D I always have show highlights and blacks on so I can see what bits are blown.

It is a crop though too so may be just the softness of that is melding the whites together.

Yeah yeah what ever :D:D:D:D:D

Back