Critique Bluebell wood on the way to work

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
I've noticed over the last couple of years a Bluebell wood on the way to work and kept missing them blooming until the other morning. I made sure this year I went equipped.

Both have been cropped and processed but I can't decide which one
I've noticed over the last couple of years a Bluebell wood on the way to work and kept missing them blooming until the other morning. I made sure this year I went equipped.

Both have been cropped and processed but I can't decide which one I like best.
I'm super novice at processing so would be interested to know if I've gone too far.

Bluebells 1.jpg Bluebells 2.jpg

Two lovely shots.

Nice shots, I prefer the non bokeh version as I think the foreground is a little busy for my eyes to focus on.

I is such a shame the sun wasn't shininghtly brig as I think a little more contrast would have been beautiful.

Last edited:
Thank you both.

I think I prefer the first one too, I feel like I've gone too far with the DoF on the 2nd.
It was a shame there wasn't any bright sunlight, I have not had a chance to revisit the wood either as I wanted to shoot it on a bright sunny day.

First one's a lovely shot Andy. There seems to be more around this year....warm winter I'm guessing.
Be worth it if you can get back there early morning or late afternoon / early evening as they look amazing with the golden hour sunlight on them.

Second for me but it needs a little more OOF stuff in the foreground before the focussed stuff.
Shame about the light as low golden light is lovely on such shots.

Good point, thanks for the comment. I'm still practicing with DoF

First one's a lovely shot Andy. There seems to be more around this year....warm winter I'm guessing.
Be worth it if you can get back there early morning or late afternoon / early evening as they look amazing with the golden hour sunlight on them.

Early morning means me getting up earlier! Not much hope of that. I was up early this morning and could have stopped if it was not for traffic making me late for work. They are still in bloom, I drove past them this morning.
Jury is out if I get another chance as I don't always go that way.

Lovely pics I've just taken some simular in my local woods, I'll see if I can post them shortly.

I am interested to know though how did you get so many bluebells into focus on the first shot, what settings are you using? I seemed to struggle the other day.

I like them both but the differential focusing gives the second one the edge. But more creative composition/framing is called for, perhaps having some object - a tree stump - amidst the sea of bluebells.

I like them both but the differential focusing gives the second one the edge. But more creative composition/framing is called for, perhaps having some object - a tree stump - amidst the sea of bluebells.

I do have a few shot's with other objects in them but didn't like them as much as these ones. I haven't processed them yet either.
I agree, it is just a sea of Bluebells and needs something else.

Back