Bluebell wood

Name
Mathew
Edit My Images
Yes
Went for a wonder earlier today to search out some bluebells as it's that time of year. Of the shots I took this one was probably my favorite. I was quite pleased with it as im quite new to this sort of thing, but wondered what are your thoughts? Is there anything you would have done differently / what are your tips for shooting bluebells? Thanks in advance

IMG_4080.jpg

That's a great shot, I really wish I knew of an area like that near me.

Just to be picky, as I've done it before and still do :confused: that twig in the bottom left sticks out a bit (no pun intended)

Love the colours in the trees and the contrast between them and the flowers.

Nothing wrong with that -- excellent photo !

Yeah I like that. Really draws you in as the colours get denser. like the warm layers too

That's a very nice shot. The warm colour of the trees is quite unusual for this sort of shot and works really works well. I try and find a point of interest in the foreground like a fallen tree or stump to break up the shot a little, but I'm not sure yours needs it. Lovely!

Looking at the trunk on the right I'm not sure if it isn't level or showing rising ground...

You're right Emma, so the second
to do would be keystoning. Really?

What I see is that the trunk at the right
is straight but the further to the left, the
greater the slant.

Last edited:
I see no problem with the level.
Woodland is rarely level, and mature trees rarely grown on a straight vertical.
The colour of the tree canopy is more autumn than spring, but other than that it's rather lovely.

Hi Matthew, what a beautiful find! I love bluebells and you've found a spectacular place to capture them.

I really not sure about the filter or processing of the trees - to my mind, bluebell woods are always 'fresh' and green and quite zingy, so the very warm grad at the top of the images clashes with how I've always seen them, and these colours are far more reminiscent of autumn, rather than spring which we're seeing here.

I think you've got the bluebell colours nicely, as often they can look a bit surreal if overcooked, but you've done a good job on them here :)

It's a very nice image. If I'm being picky, the colour of the bluebell flowers looks slightly too "purple" to my eyes, based on my recollection of bluebell woods. I'd perhaps expect them to be a little bit more "blue".

The shimmering effect of a bluebell wood is almost impossible to capture photographically, I'd humbly suggest. My wife tells me that this is because the cones in our eyes are not very good at spatial differentiation at this point in the colour spectrum.

Excellent wide angle capture thought the foreground looking bit flat,pity there was not a lead in other than yes like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a pretty scene, but for me it's too wide to appear more than a casual snap. I think an alternative would be a square version where that little tree is on the left, probably taken with a fairly long lens to compress the bluebells. I think it's well worth going back when there are leaves on the tree canopy as others have mentioned the trees look a little autumnal. I love this time of year, can't wait to get in my local bluebell wood next weekend

It's a pretty scene, but for me it's too wide to appear more than a casual snap. I think an alternative would be a square version where that little tree is on the left, probably taken with a fairly long lens to compress the bluebells. I think it's well worth going back when there are leaves on the tree canopy as others have mentioned the trees look a little autumnal. I love this time of year, can't wait to get in my local bluebell wood next weekend

I disagree.
It's clearly an expansive wood, why wouldn't you show it in all it's glory?

I disagree.
It's clearly an expansive wood, why wouldn't you show it in all it's glory?

Because there's nothing holding the eye in the right hand side, and the bluebells appear thinner the closer they are to camera in this wide shot. That little tree stands out as the subject to frame around

Last edited:
Great image and am liknig the composition comments above. As I too would be drawn to photograph this scene then agagin who wouldnt. I would really struggle to to come up with a striking composition as for some reason I just dont' see more than the obvious view, where landscapes are concerned.

Gaz

It's that time of year where everyone goes and takes these pictures. Except me. I just don't "get" them nor the appeal of taking them.

I like this one. It's more open and spacious than the usual cliched tightly framed ones and I like the barer trees. They let more light and and add some warmth to what would normally be in my view a dark and depressing scene.

Thanks for all your kind comments. It's always nice to get some feedback to understand what you're doing right or wrong, I always find it difficult to self critique being a newb here! Thanks again.

Back