Bluebells

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Had a lovely holiday in Dorset and was lucky enough to drive past a small wood that had plenty of bluebells showing.

They must have been quite new as the smell was unbelievable - it took me back to my childhood in an instant.

The sun was well up and I decided to return the following day at sunrise to try for some better, more directional light.

Shades of Blue by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

Dave.

Looks pretty good to me. If possible I’d have turned the camera a bit more to the left so there’s less on the right hand side which might look a bit more balanced, but this is still very nice. Being in a bluebell wood at dawn as the sun lights the scene and the birds are singing is a real highlight of the year for me

Looks pretty good to me. If possible I’d have turned the camera a bit more to the left so there’s less on the right hand side which might look a bit more balanced, but this is still very nice. Being in a bluebell wood at dawn as the sun lights the scene and the birds are singing is a real highlight of the year for me
Thanks - I agree with your point and would have preferred the sun to be closer to the 1/3rd line but the trees were very messy past that point :(

Hi Dave. I like the composition as it is, this way it has good interaction of the suns rays and the bluebells and shadow area. The way they lead as a diagonal into the bottom corner also enhances the image. Tricky metering and well handled.

A very fine controlled exposure.

Good example of this type of shot. I sometimes think this sort of thing works better as a portrait style composition- did you turn the camera the other way.

A suggestion - I do see the comment about the sun being in the far side of the shot. A square, 5x4, 4x3 or even 7x5 crop taking off some of the right could balance that out should, in the future, you feel the need to.

It’s quite right in the field to compose out mess and a change of aspect ratio from the native one in camera might be all you need to do.

A very fine controlled exposure.

Good example of this type of shot. I sometimes think this sort of thing works better as a portrait style composition- did you turn the camera the other way.

A suggestion - I do see the comment about the sun being in the far side of the shot. A square, 5x4, 4x3 or even 7x5 crop taking off some of the right could balance that out should, in the future, you feel the need to.

It’s quite right in the field to compose out mess and a change of aspect ratio from the native one in camera might be all you need to do.

I did find myself holding my hand up over the right hand side of the image (to see if there was a portrait crop) once I had read the earlier comment - I think there is one worth looking at. I also have some room top and bottom to play with in the original (I think). The reason I stuck with a landscape crop was the diagonals from the bottom right corner - I probably got a bit too distracted by them :)

I got some other portrait shots but none of the other shots had light like this one - I also managed to get this one focus stacked as well - which was a bonus.

Thanks for the constructive comments :)

Back