Blummin' eck! Not more holiday snaps.

Name
Toni
Edit My Images
No
We went to Fuerteventura back in February as a birthday present for my wife, and although I shot quite a lot of stuff it wasn't until I saw Pete's pictures that I remembered that something should be done.

So these are sort-of holiday snaps, hence bunging them in PfP.

On our balcony
Fuerteventura redux-8357
by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Morro Jable
Fuerteventura redux-8387
by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Fuerteventura redux-8378
by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Fuerteventura redux-8400
by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

I was struck by the curious shape and isolation of this cafe.
Fuerteventura redux-8403
by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

And this gives the last 2 some spatial context.
Fuerteventura redux-8404
by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

And a couple of arty-farty ones.
Fuerteventura redux 2
by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Fuerteventura redux 1
by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Last edited:
Name
Kev
Edit My Images
Yes
Some great pictures Toni, you have a nice eye for composition.

OP
OP
ancient_mariner
Name
Toni
Edit My Images
No
Well -- you certainly saw it in a 'Different' way to me! Thanks for participating !
I really liked the island Pete, but there were so many fascinating and unusual nooks and crannies that one couldn't help explore a little, and even the hotel had some amazing bits of architecture. We were also at the opposite end to you, on the edge of Costa Calma which is primarily a non-Englsh area, and I suspect a little less shiny. We came back with hundreds of pictures, many like this, many more traditional, and your post was the motivation to start posting.

Some great pictures Toni, you have a nice eye for composition.
Thanks Kev. :)

OP
OP
ancient_mariner
Name
Toni
Edit My Images
No
Some more 'normal' holiday pics.

Fuerteventura redux-8507
by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Fuerteventura redux-8508
by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Fuerteventura redux-8520
by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Fuerteventura redux-8525
by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Fuerteventura redux-8577
by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Fuerteventura redux-8598
by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

And some slightly unusual local architecture - there were people living & moving in and out of these houses, so it really didn't feel right to stand around taking photos from all sorts of angles.

Fuerteventura redux-8583
by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Fuerteventura redux-8588
by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

And the galling thing is that I can't remember the name of this village, even though we stopped there a couple of times and went back for dinner on our last night. I'm sure it's neither Taralejo nor Giniginamar. *edit - the village is La Lajita

Last edited:
OP
OP
ancient_mariner
Name
Toni
Edit My Images
No
Not a 'Sun-Seeking British Tourist in sight' -- makes a change ! Thanks for showing.
I organised the trip myself, so we had a car and had to find the hotel. It provides a certain freedom that we like, and enables a lot of 'off the beaten track' stuff to be done just exploring villages and roads.

OP
OP
ancient_mariner
Name
Toni
Edit My Images
No
Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
A fantastic set Toni, but that beach cafe shot really stood out for me, as a stunning shot. I think it struck me as something that reminded me of an Edward Hopper painting.

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
I don't know where they grow those famous ' Canary Islands Tomatoes' - inland it is all Volcanic and dry -- not a blade of grass even !

Name
Kev
Edit My Images
Yes
Another great set, you make steps look nice and you definitely have an eye for composition.

Wish I could see see the composition you see.

OP
OP
ancient_mariner
Name
Toni
Edit My Images
No
Thanks Gents. :)

I don't know where they grow those famous ' Canary Islands Tomatoes' - inland it is all Volcanic and dry -- not a blade of grass even !
It's amazingly barren, and a bit of a shock to drive across the lowland sections. Up in the hills there's a lot more moisture and vegeation, but water is always a problem & one of the reasons for suach a sparse population.

Another great set, you make steps look nice and you definitely have an eye for composition.

Wish I could see see the composition you see.
I'm sure you could - just look for shapes as you walk past, because there's always an interesting or repeating pattern, especially when you visit somewhere new & 'see' it for the first time. Much harder to find interest in places you know well.

Nice stuff Toni. I'm off to Crete in a week. You've certainly whetted my appetite.
Which part? We stayed in Rethymno a couple of years back, and although the city is now sprawling & un-attractive, there's lots of good stuff just a short drive outside.

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
Thanks Gents. :)

It's amazingly barren, and a bit of a shock to drive across the lowland sections. Up in the hills there's a lot more moisture and vegeation, but water is always a problem & one of the reasons for suach a sparse population.

I'm sure you could - just look for shapes as you walk past, because there's always an interesting or repeating pattern, especially when you visit somewhere new & 'see' it for the first time. Much harder to find interest in places you know well.

Which part? We stayed in Rethymno a couple of years back, and although the city is now sprawling & un-attractive, there's lots of good stuff just a short drive outside.
The Island hotel. Old Gouves. Love it our 4 th year. Watch this space. (In about 3 weeks). :)

Name
Immo
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I like this thread very much, because it makes me think. ---

We (my then future wife and myself) have been to Fuerteventura in 85 and 87, stayed at the Oliva Beach Hotel in Corralejo.

In my slide days, 1 film/day was my typical maximum.

So, I went through my pics, thinking about which I would take again, and which others I might take, now ... ---

OP
OP
ancient_mariner
Name
Toni
Edit My Images
No
I'm really pleased if this stimulates good memories. :)

1 film/day was prety generous really, if using 35mm, and it's really good to look back at the old pics we took and remember. Our first holiday outside the UK was '86 to Halkidiki in Greece - it was wonderful because the place was just being opened up and was still 'Greek' - and the pictures I took with a 'cosmic symbol' convinced me that I needed a better camera. The following year we went to Crete with a then pregnant wife, and got some much better pictures and some interesting memories (70mph rear tyre blow-out on a motorcycle that I DIDN'T drop! among others). I still look at the Crete pictures every year or so, wishing I'd been more adenturous with the camera.

OP
OP
ancient_mariner
Name
Toni
Edit My Images
No
Last edited: