BMW M3

Name
Iain
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys,

I was at a track session a while back and took this shot. When I first looked at it I disregarded it as no good. I saw a photo in a best of 2009 thread posted but Gary so took another look at my shot. I thought I'd post it up to see what you guys thought as to whether I shouldn't have taken a second look at it :LOL:

Gary's:
img_5523_20090914_1874545067.jpg

Mine:
safety1.jpg

Works for me, Im never saw the original but I imagine this makes for a much more interesting picture.(y)

Real action shot. I like it and think it works well,
however, if the front of the car was slightly sharper think it would of made big difference.

Neither shot does anything for me, if i had a photo like that on my memory card I would delete it :shrug:

I hope this isn't taken personally, just giving my honest opinion

IMO the first looks like a planned abstract that's had a bit of PP invested to optimise the colours; it helps that to any motorsport fan that Gulf branding is instantly recognisable.

On the other hand the space around the front and bottom of the car in your shot makes me think it was just a bad capture, and it's going to be down to individual interpretation (and whether you have an original RAW) to decide if there's enough detail or warmth to salvage it.

As a relative noob (on here) I haven't edited anyone else's shots yet but here's my take:

4203937529_886216cf24_o.jpg

Crop 16:9 from top right corner
Boost saturation
Warm colour temp
Recover small amount of shadow detail

Oh, and I (badly) cloned out the front plate as it was a dead giveaway how unsharp the front was.

Last edited:
And - no offence, but that crop is horrible! I think that if you lowered it a bit so that the wheel was in you'd be onto a winner though :)

Macca - I think that if you had got the front of the car in focus it might have worked, but it's not abstract enough to work without being sharp in one place.. Also, It's in a pit - if it was out on track I think that It would have looked a bit better :)

And - no offence, but that crop is horrible! I think that if you lowered it a bit so that the wheel was in you'd be onto a winner though :)

None taken ;)

Cropping the wheel was a conscious decision, partly to lose so much of the vacant tarmac but also to continue the notion of abstract with the rear of the car already lost.

If I could have started with a file size physically wider than 640px it might have been worth a slight rotation CW to try and keep the wheel in without a whole bunch of dead space.

Thanks for the input guys (y)(y)

I was trying to go for the pan but as AndWhyNot said, it was just a bad capture. I had originally binned it due to the front not being focused like I had intended but Gary's pic made me think twice.

On the same day I did also however take this shot which is a little more what I was aiming for with the one I originally posted in this thread. Its the blurry abstract kind of look but the back of the car is more focused

Moton_E90_Web_010_3.jpg

Back