Critique Boar

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
A very friendly very happy old girl in the Forest of Dean,whom we got to spend the day with yesterday,if i'd have known then I probably wouldn't have got up at 430 am but it's wildlife right we all do these mad things.

Tell me she ain't lovely :) no bloody light 1/160 f 4 iso 5000

_70F3217 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

Hmmm interesting day saw some sights ANDSOME !!!.............. this old girl can do maybe 20yards in a second it's really impressive watching her turn from this gentle docile creature in the pic above to a wild boar. If you keep a dog act with great care in the Forest of Dean especially where there might be boar. I am no expert I want ya dog safe and da piggies,these guys have their reputation for a reason thank god for a deer fence !!!!!! Seeing it first hand is really something she gave plenty of warning plenty but folks are folks.

She never showed any form of anything other than being happy as hell with people, even though I spent the day walking backwards as she constantly came closer and others felt happy at a couple of yards,:rolleyes: but, a dog, a differnt matter. This old girl did not like them at all ,and when she had had enough, the explosion was incredible but she told the lady as clear as hell she was p***ed off

I've looked after pigs a few years guys, no great experience!! You needed none to read her. Dog was on a lead taken to a boar by it's mistress
words almost fail but folks just don't know,

it's incredibly hard intervening humour works well....................................... I stared at the dog on a lead that had just walked up behind me, then at the boar, the at the dog, VERY obviously. Then said to the guy with a big smile I'm off over there bro,I don't want to be between that piggy and your doggy dog:),will it charge the dog then mate he asked ,yeah sure buddy bigger smile it's amazing i've seen it this morning but we haven't got a fence i'm off over there. To be fair the guy was lovely he just didn't know his russel immediately picked up and carefully given to his good lady (clever guy:D sorry but he really did;)) had a chat and hopefully him and his cracking dog won't get into a scrape now.

This is a real worry in all seriousness!!!!! :( Folks hope to see these animals wild boar here in England rock and rock it's brill. They mean them no harm, but they take dogs and there is one hell of a conflict waiting to happen from which there will be no winners that should be avoidable....but how?????
Sorry guys things I saw worried me yesterday that I would rather not have, won't divulge the site as i'm worried for her frankly.

She's being watched by locals good guys, it's such a shame she's a little old lass maybe getting a bit of help but basically doing what she should bunging in the cals for winter when we first saw her it was just after dawn left just before dusk all day she never once stopped wagging her tail i don't know boar tails apart from straight out is something i don't want. but what surrounds her UGG !!

stu

Thats a cracking shot of one of these wild creatures and it show it like they are, BIG black and fearsome.
I now live in the south of France, a couple of months back while at the in-laws a heard of them (all ages) were foraging for food at about 7pm, nothing too unusual but it was still light and here they normally stay well away from human habitats for obvious reasons.
One guy, I guess he was a male and not too old, maybe a teenager had real balls and came up to the terrace while we we in there watching him, for our safety we stayed still but he wanted to see us and watch us while all the rest buggered off because we moved, I was happy to see them and get some shots of him, Luckily he didnt charge us (well jump over the wall) but just let us know, Its sad really cos if he done that to us them he wasnt scared of humans and that could be his fate in the hunting season (which is now) This one Boar has been seen another 2 times now doing the same thing.
Me, I think they are awesome Animals, How they feed and survive is a feat in its self, here the ground is very stony and hard (not had any real rain for 2 years now) and yet with their nose they are able to easily dig huge holes in the ground for a root or 2.
You have some dedication to follow one of these for a day, thats not easy in itself for any animal, well done and a lovely little write up here, thanks.

We have them very local Stu, almost literally on our doorstep, when the snow is down, you can sometimes see them in the woods opposite and I've often watched them from the front door. We hear them squealing and sorting out their territories on a daily basis. I really should spend more time photographing them but even on a bright day, the light in those woods is difficult.

Cracking pic buddy. (y)

/thanks for the lovely reply Graham,they are awesome in the truest sense of the word,but mate this was not a wild girl it was there in her but no FC involved here bar respect for her. I can take no credit there Gray,it's just luck to find one so docile and in an area she wanted to feed in. She was just like the berkshires I used to look after daft as a brush,until something p***ed her off. Then she became a wild boar,but I would imagine miles away from the boar you see in all reality temperment wise

Mate I was able to watch her digging,the power in that nose,but yet it's so soft and rubbery. there seems to be madness in a design built to dig but rubbery,but doesn't it work !! Just amazing to see her flip things like they were a crisp packet

Mate cheers for telling me about your boar down in france that individual is probably just an indicator of their intelligence. The brit joe public isn't equipped at all for a meet with one of these Gray, they could learn from your guy,as you say it might be his undoing. Seeing this girl and her being so laid back is what we personally used to see, she'd be better off being wild mate,and terrified of people.

thank you

stu

We have them very local Stu, almost literally on our doorstep, when the snow is down, you can sometimes see them in the woods opposite and I've often watched them from the front door. We hear them squealing and sorting out their territories on a daily basis. I really should spend more time photographing them but even on a bright day, the light in those woods is difficult.

Cracking pic buddy. (y)

Hey mate ya good?

Dale where are you based roughly bro ,just curious as to the where abouts of the population you see. Fascinating subject for me mate I would be all over them if closer. They are spreading i've been very reliably informed they are getting closer to me,but I know nothing of any otherpopulations than the ones in the Dean

stu.

She is lovely Stu but I can tell just from your photo that the wild streak is there and it's not far from the surface. It is worrying when 'wild' animals become 'tame'. A lot of people are stupid around animals anyway, especially if they see one example of a species that's too docile and think they're all like that. People getting bitten trying to feed foxes or squirrels springs to mind - err, they're wild animals, folks. They don't understand the rules. Engage brain before engaging with them.... Driving through Widecombe on Dartmoor one time, a group of ponies on the green, a guy with little kids in tow trying to get their photo taken with his arm round a pony - and his kids almost getting kicked.......duh - wild animals. It's all in the body language and the eyes, just most people couldn't be bothered to read it.

She is lovely Stu but I can tell just from your photo that the wild streak is there and it's not far from the surface. It is worrying when 'wild' animals become 'tame'. A lot of people are stupid around animals anyway, especially if they see one example of a species that's too docile and think they're all like that. People getting bitten trying to feed foxes or squirrels springs to mind - err, they're wild animals, folks. They don't understand the rules. Engage brain before engaging with them.... Driving through Widecombe on Dartmoor one time, a group of ponies on the green, a guy with little kids in tow trying to get their photo taken with his arm round a pony - and his kids almost getting kicked.......duh - wild animals. It's all in the body language and the eyes, just most people couldn't be bothered to read it.
Seen it on dartmoor to Janny,some of these folks are lovely Jan they just need educating some are just plain braindead though,it's the fact that animals will suffer through this insanity that is really bugging me, the trouble is one set we can get to the other lot..........give me strength !!!

Jees mate saw some sights :banghead: !!!

stu

DSCF4424 tp.jpg
Hey mate ya good?

Dale where are you based roughly bro ,just curious as to the where abouts of the population you see. Fascinating subject for me mate I would be all over them if closer. They are spreading i've been very reliably informed they are getting closer to me,but I know nothing of any otherpopulations than the ones in the Dean

stu.

I'm good thanks mate.

I'm in East Ayrshire, our population of boar is managed and behind deer fencing and now with low level electric fencing along the bottom of that fence. They're on a country estate with public access, hence the fencing. You can get decent images of them though but the light is always low in those woods. I've seen them literally 200 metres from our doorstep.

This one obviously thought the grass was greener the other side. :LOL:

Looks fantastic up there mate cheers for the pic very kind. you really ought to have a crack at them Dale,fascinating to spend time with and watch let alone images. He he I'd like to show you a grass is greener image ,mate i'll wait a while.. I'm a bit concerned for her and telling that story might give the game away where she is, and draw more nonsense to her. So wanted to go back and see if there might possibly be another chance,but couldn't sadly.

Dale she was tricky for me as a tog, a big dark thing like this left me feeling very out of my depth simply no experience to draw on,always searching for more SS. But what a day and a chance can't believe it really

take care kiddo

stu

Ahh cheers bro maybe not arty but it's a really cool scene love the heads resting on the snoozer and the little ones. you have got to hit them properly Dale you'll get some wonderful images with time and a bit of luck ha ha always the luck;)

I'd love to catch some at the humbug stage Dale they are silly cute as tiny things with those stripes. I must try and post some others I just can't get anything done in the week I'm clattered by the time I get in.

Thank you buddy I've really enjoyed seeing this.,such a peaceful family scene I really like it mate especially the interactions......I keep thinking the shadow to the right is from a cow's head ,it's so damn simialr in shape:D

cheers

stu

The "snoozer" is Daddy Pig, not the most polite pig around. :LOL:

now is that a boar wild boar ,or a wild boar boar me 'ead hurt's.:D

Maybe not so polite but looks like he's a good dad to have:cool: bless him :)

Lovely photographs and narrative, thanks for sharing.

Back