Boats - an open thread

I have very few pictures of our own boat BULLET because I was usually using her as the photo platform, not your normal fishing boat! Built in 1968, awarded a gold medal at the 1969 London Boat Show. Uncle Richard bought her before she was completed and I inherited her in 1993. Currently undergoing a restoration by her new owner.

Bass 032.jpg

My processing is a little 'avant garde' on this, I guess many will not like it ? 'viva la difference' eh? ( ok, that's all the French I remember :D )

Coverack (Cornwall)

i-5zLHbtw-X2.jpg

Just a simple tourist type Snapograph taken at Nashville TN USA (my hometown) of the Sternwheel on the General Jackson Showboat that operates on the Cumberland River out of Nashville.

The General Jackson was built by Jeffboat in Jeffersonville, Indiana and launched in 1985. Though built to resemble a vintage steam-powered riverboat, it is actually powered by diesel generators which power two 600 horsepower (450 kW) electric motors, which in turn propel a 24-foot-diameter (7.3 m), 36-ton sternwheel. The boat has a capacity of 1,200 passengers and 157 crew members. She is 274 feet (84 m) long (300 feet (91 m) with gangway extended), has a 63-foot-6-inch (19.35 m) beam (width), is 77 feet (23 m) tall with her folding smokestacks fully extended (the folding stacks are necessary because of low bridge clearances), and has a draft of 7 feet (2.1 m).

X-T1, 18-55mm Lens, 1/500th @ F5.6, ISO-200, Handheld.
General Jackson Sternwheel (1)-03088 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y)

George

Archer class, P2000. The Motor Patrol Boats are normally associated with University Royal Navy Units.

I got my terminology wrong, I spoke to one of the crew and he said they were part of Southampton University and he was hoping to get a commission when he had graduated. They use Holyhead quite a lot and sometimes there are two or three them in.

Covid has unfortunately stopped going to Holyhead, I would like to get a shot the Sir David Attenborough whilst she is there.

Howard

I'm a rowing coach, so get to spend a lot of time in and around boats - we had some lovely weather in Ely this week and my new R5 and old 100-400 seem to work quite well as a combo.. :D

View attachment 302304

View attachment 302305

You will remember Glynn Lock then, rather than all the Ayslings! One of my cousins owned Glynn Lock, around the time they developed the hydrofoil solo scull, developed with the help of the Dutch world champion (I can't remember his name) - but you needed to be of that calibre to make it work. No sooner than they had developed it than it was promptly prohibited from competition.

A rough day for doing a boat test, especially as I was in an open 16 footer as the photo platform... water coming over the gunwhales occassionally, soaking everything. It was a rigid boat too, not a RIB. Thankfully the bilge pump was quite efficient!

DSC_2456.2.jpg

DSC_2450.JPG

DSC_2422.JPG

Back