Boats - an open thread

Just a simple Snapograph of part of the Sternwheel on the General Jackson Showboat that operates on the Cumberland River out of Nashville TN (My Hometown) :)
General Jackson was built by Jeffboat in Jeffersonville, Indiana and launched in 1985. Though built to resemble a vintage steam-powered riverboat, it is actually powered by diesel generators which power two 600 horsepower (450 kW) electric motors, which in turn propel a 24-foot-diameter (7.3 m), 36-ton sternwheel. The boat has a capacity of 1,200 passengers and 157 crew members. She is 274 feet (84 m) long (300 feet (91 m) with gangway extended), has a 63-foot-6-inch (19.35 m) beam (width), is 77 feet (23 m) tall with her folding smokestacks fully extended (the folding stacks are necessary because of low bridge clearances), and has a draft of 7 feet (2.1 m).

X-T1, 18-55mm Lens, 1/480th @ F7.1, ISO-200, Handheld.
General Jackson Sternwheel (2)-03089 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y)

George.

Just a simple tourist type Snapograph taken from the stern of the General Jackson Showboat on the Cumberland River with Nashville in the distance. The folk on the Jet Ski's quite often follow the riverboat when it's on a trip.

iPhone 7 Plus, Handheld.
Cumberland River (Nashville)-03090 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

George.

Last edited:
Manchester Ship Canal - Ellesmere Port

Stenheim by
50988569846_60618b9be2_h.jpg
Arklow Flair by https://www.flickr.com/photos/156321735@N05/

Like these. Do you know of any way to get a timetable of movement up and down the canal. I've asked several Peel Port workers but they never have an answer. Is it right, do you know, if they now come through Latchford late in the evening or at night?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Howard

Like these. Do you know of any way to get a timetable of movement up and down the canal. I've asked several Peel Port workers but they never have an answer. Is it right, do you know, if they now come through Latchford late in the evening or at night?

Thanks,

Howard

Not what you asked for - a timetable but try this: ship tracking in real time on msc any everywhere else

ais

I used another one but I can’t find it at the moment

just found This

google and ye shall find

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks,

Howard
I use Marine Traffic or Vesselfinder app - they could come down the canal at any time, I'm only 3 miles from the canal so I look on Marine Traffic if any movements near E'port I shoot down there

"IT MADE EXPLORE" :) :)

Just a simple Landscape type Snapograph taken at Dungeness Kent UK of a discarded Fishermans Hut with a discarded Fishing Boat in the background of which both have been left to rot. On the right is one of the old railway lines that were used for hauling the boats or catch up the beach from the sea. I've deliberately gone for a higher contrast gritty look for this snap to emphasize the desolate terrain, decay & textures etc.
I'm also working on a personal project called Things Left Behind and this will be one of the shots included.

RX10M4, 1/640th @ F5.6, ISO-100, Tripod.
Dilapidated Hut-03518 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

Back