Boats on the Water!

L

lolyton

Thought as i have just today learned how to work this forum thing, i may aswell have another go at it whilst i have the time. Boats aren't really my thing, but looking for a theme to tie some pics together with and found i had a few boats of various sorts. Would be interested to hear any views and some examples because i am supposing you guys have some excellent boat images out there.... (lets see if i can get this right first time this go).
navimageden2oi.jpg

hovercraftsilhouette1hk.jpg

ferrysun4xg.jpg

dinghy2jn.jpg

I like that first shot a lot! Just about every one of those flair ghost images is easily removeable. I'd definitely remove the lot and leave just Old Sol up there. Then I'd be tempted to play around with it. I'd try darkening the image more to increase the silhouette effect and also try lightening it to give a little more detail in the shadows - see which you like best.

I think it's a really good shot, but there's a better one screaming to get out.

The second shot is OK but doesn't grab me.

The 3rd shot I'd crop all the foregound just below the feet of the people on deck to concentrate on the silhouetted figures . It would also work well if you cropped at the first horizontal line below those oblong things - but there's far too much foreground IMO.

The 4th pic is ... erm the 4th one! :LOL:

Good shots, they just need tweaking.

1i would agree with CT, remove the flare and that could work
2 needs the horizon levelling, its leaning over, not a bad shot otherwise
3 is good, as CT says, try cropping it, though i think its not bad as it is!
4 is interesting, would have worked better if you had placed the boat on a third line intersection, that would have made a great pic!

I quite like the flair ghosty things in the first one, it sets the scene a little more for me, The weather waas terrible when taken and i think this helps show it. I tweaked with the image a little, and got it to how i like it. But sometimes when you're working on your own images you can't see the wood for the trees. This is why your suggestions are helpful and very much appreciated.
Take it you weren't too keen on the 4th one, phtography is a funny thing, i think that is about my favourite, just good and simple. Know what you mean about the second one though, i'm still unsure and technically i guess it isn't even a boat/ship.

Cheers for that tho!

Hadn't even realised that 2nd one was wonky, now i look at it again i am wondering what i was thinking. If it tilted anymore the water would be flooding out onto everyones desks!

i like the forth, but the composition lets it down, if you place an object you want to be the focal point at a 3rd line or third intersection it makes it work better

Sorry EosD, i was writing my reply to CT at the same time you sent yours up, and yours just pipped mine to the post and it looks like i am commenting on what you said but really i'm talking about what CT said. And i could waffle all night and not make any sense. Hope that made sense to you.
Cheers!

no probs m8

i hope you dont mind, i have used your last shot to show you what i mean...

this is the original with a 3rds grid overlayed..

RuleOfThirdsboat.jpg

this is the same shot, cropped and with a 3rds grid...

RuleOfThirds1.jpg

what you think?

No problems. I had a little dabble too,
dinghy2jn2qp.jpg

I did notice that after looking at the original for a bit my eye was drawn to a flat bit of water on the 3rds line, so have moved the boat to this position, like you have suggested. Just a quick hash, i think you guys are right though. May try some similar shots like this one and play around a little.
:D TA!

lolyton said:

Where is this one taken? I quite like it except it's off horizontal, as the others have pointed out...

It's the hovercraft that goes from Southsea to Ryde on the Isle of White!

lolyton said:
It's the hovercraft that goes from Southsea to Ryde on the Isle of White!

Lol, thought it looked oh so familiar! Are you local to the area? :)

Yup, v.local, live less than a mile from the hovercraft in Southsea, i see it almost everyday, and i think it's an amazing thing, so thought i'd try to get a picture of it. Have taken loads for no particular reason, but have always struggled to get in the right spot. I think it's especially hard to capture a good boat because so often you are looking down on it and the water nearly always makes for a boring backdrop.
Like i said earlier though, boats are not normally my thing but as i live in a port town thought i'd make more of an effort and am looking for ideas/suggestions.

Some cameras have 'grid' setting, where it lays the grid on the screen for you, i used that often with my casio and fuji as it helps to compose a shot and also get the horiszon more level

that shot is better, minimalist

The 2nd shot does it for me, when straight even better, I also like the 4th. Very good.

Back