BobBCN 52 Challenge 2019 - Week 52

Catching up...

New-great image to kick off with, it looks almost like a painting.
Clean-covers the theme, but my OCD ness doesn't like that I can't see the whole machine
Open-nice thinking, works very well with the lighting, plus ticks off a mono.

Thanks for the comments.

Nice lighting on 'Open' I like that, it also suits the B&W treatment.

Thanks. Just a reading lamp as it happens, but it worked well enough!

Hi Bob,

New - Really liking your shot. Great colours for what looks like a potentially very dark and wet day. I wonder if a slight crop off the bottom so the base of the wall on the right went into the corner would lead the eye in more?
Clean - I like the close crop on the machine. Perfect fit to the theme too. (y)
Open - Good image that fits the theme, is fun and yet slightly menacing at the same time (I think that makes sense!!). Great lighting too.

Cheers. Comments appreciated.

Open is maybe just a touch too dark overall for me, Bob, but the points of light are well placed, the reflections are well controlled and it's a clever idea for the theme.

Yes, others have mentioned the darkness, too. But well… I will bear it in mind for next time. Thanks.

TP52 (2019) Week 4 - DISTANT

Well, decided to get this one over and done sharpish. Just a shot of a relatively new underground station. I was on my way to the airport to drop off the young'un who's returning to San Diego to finish her university/volleyball thing. That's where DISTANT comes into the picture!! So it's a shoehorn, I believe.

04.DISTANT by Bob Newsome Photography, on Flickr

Nice clean station, I don’t think it’s a shoehorn as the platform carries on into the distance

Nice clean station, I don’t think it’s a shoehorn as the platform carries on into the distance
It fits the theme to me. Unusual to see such an empty and clean station. Pity you weren't further back to have more of the platform.
I don`t think it`s a shoehorn at all, a good image showing the distant end of the platform. Nice and sharp through out with good lighting.
Not a shoe horn for me, Bob, as I think the angle you have chosen provides a fantastic vanishing point effect with the converging lines of the doors and wall meeting at the most distant point in the scene. Nice to learn the background story too :)
Shoehorn or not, it's a terrific image!
Very well taken image, expert use of vanishing point.
And what a clean station, looks so crisp and very nice details!
Excellent image Bob!(y)
I love this one, super perpective, love all those leading lines, my fave of the week. :clap:

Thanks for the comments. I'll remove the shoehorn at once. And I have a fave!! @susiejb ;)

Good perspective on distant. A person sat on that furthest bench would have been perfect :)

Open - Very dark but it works and guess that helped hide the ring pull, certainly gives a feel of frustration

The Waterloo & City it certainly isn't!
I would like to see a little more detail in the shadows, perhaps 1/2 a stop may bring them up?
Dunno... What do you think?

Yes, perhaps it would. But it was really a quick shot before the train/fellow passengers arrived. I admit it needed straightening and cropping to get the end wall as near to the middle as possble.

very nice take on it.
I have never seen a subway empty let alone clean super find lol.

They are not usually like this I can assure you. But's it's new and it wasn't the rush hour. Here in BCN they are full to busting with weary travellers and a healthy smattering of gypsies, tramps and thieves. o_O

Good perspective on distant. A person sat on that furthest bench would have been perfect :)

Yes, you are right, but my daughter was having none of it!!

Open - Very dark but it works and guess that helped hide the ring pull, certainly gives a feel of frustration

I want me beans!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Once again, thanks for the comments, without which this challenge would not work!! :clap::clap::clap:

Maybe shoehorned but it's a nice image. What's the chances of catching a station without people in the shot. Nice and crisp mono

others have said it all. I also like the minimal colours in the shot.

Very nice shot, I like that. I'd like t have somewhere like that to shoot, but not the underground in general, that's my idea of a nightmare.

TP52 (2019) Week 5 - COLD

It was only a matter of time before Scalextric came to the rescue ….....

So, in the absence of snow…. well, flour!! It's actually a FIAT 131 that's got itself stuck in a drift. Slow shutter speed to catch the movement of the snow/sleet and the rear wheel (more or less). One hand on the trigger release and the other on the sieve!! 25 attempts and half a kilo of flour later …...

05.COLD by Bob Newsome Photography, on Flickr

Superb. What a great idea. Well done for getting the movement spot on. Not easy. I tried something similar at christmas and gave up in the end.

Must admit I have never seen an empty tube platform, fits the theme to me especially the leading platform
Maybe shoehorned but it's a nice image. What's the chances of catching a station without people in the shot. Nice and crisp mono
others have said it all. I also like the minimal colours in the shot.
Very nice shot, I like that. I'd like t have somewhere like that to shoot, but not the underground in general, that's my idea of a nightmare.

Thanks for all of your comments. :):):)

The things we do for our art and you have totally nailed it with this great image Bob, love it and very well thought out and taken too and best one for cold so far :plus1::plus1:

Thanks Dave. It was worth the fuss. I am happy with it.

Superb. What a great idea. Well done for getting the movement spot on. Not easy. I tried something similar at christmas and gave up in the end.

Never give up, Mandy!! I had the car sitting on a rubber washer to get the rear wheels off the ground, and the trigger of the controller sellotaped to keep the wheels just turning. I needed two hands free to orchestrate the shot. Then it was just trial and error with the sieve. I put the two second timer and then just sprinkled away!! The "snow" around the car was due to all my failed attempts but then it looked like a snowdrift - so perfect!!

Distance- I don't see it as a shoehorn either. Nice image
Cold-Excellent, love it, great idea and well executed

I tried something similar once with lego figures and some icing sugar, so I know that you've put a lot of work into making this work so well! I like the use of a slow shutter to make it look like heavy snowfall.

Brilliant shot, my mate's dad had a Fiat 131 Abarth many moons ago, bright orange! I always wanted one of those, but I guess most will have dissolved many moons ago.

That works for me well done for the effort involved it certainly paid off

Distance- I don't see it as a shoehorn either. Nice image
Cold-Excellent, love it, great idea and well executed

Cheers Jon

I tried something similar once with lego figures and some icing sugar, so I know that you've put a lot of work into making this work so well! I like the use of a slow shutter to make it look like heavy snowfall.

Thanks Carl.

Brilliant shot, my mate's dad had a Fiat 131 Abarth many moons ago, bright orange! I always wanted one of those, but I guess most will have dissolved many moons ago.

Yes they were competing in rallies in the late 70s/early 80s, so I imagine not many about these days. Cheers Rick.

That works for me well done for the effort involved it certainly paid off

Thanks Allan. The effort was kinda fun, but I still haven't cleaned up yet!

:LOL: :LOL: Very good, Bob! After bemoaning the lack of snow in Barcelona you've come up with something funny and original, and the "falling snow" effect had me fooled for a little while!

Still no snow! It's actually sunny and will probably be a warm day today!

Outstanding!
Love the inventiveness, spot on for the theme!!
Very well taken, and perfect exposure on the 'snow'!
Your hard work and patience (not to mention your use of flour) has most certainly paid off.
(y)

Cheers Gareth!

Took me a few seconds to see what you did there :) Initial reaction was cool...old retro car, lucky guy! Well done(y)

Didn't know it wasn't snow until I read your post. Very clever and very good.

Cracking shot Bob. Thanks for your explanation of how you did it. That must have taken quite a while. Well done for persevering - you have ended up with a belter of an image (y)

Back