BobBCN 52 Challenge 2019 - Week 52

Now that's dedication Bob. I'd be more worried about getting flour in my scalextric but your a martyr to the cause. Nicely done

The motion of the snow is spot on, very creative. I had to make do with some ice ! Love the snowdrift

Thanks! The sieving was quite frantic but in the end I got the one decent shot. Thanks.

Took me a few seconds to see what you did there :) Initial reaction was cool...old retro car, lucky guy! Well done(y)

If only …. Glad I had you confused for a while!! Thanks.

it was only when i read the comments below your picture that I realised this was a staged photo! I think that tells you how good it is! Well played.

Thank you! I showed the photo to some people here and they initially thought it was a photo from back home!!

Exactly, good photo when that happens (y)

Thank you very much.

Didn't know it wasn't snow until I read your post. Very clever and very good.

Thanks Joan.

I love this shot Bob.
Like plenty of others, I had this down as a real rally stage shot, not a model.
:clap:

Cheers Tim

Cracking shot Bob. Thanks for your explanation of how you did it. That must have taken quite a while. Well done for persevering - you have ended up with a belter of an image (y)

It took a while for sure. But it was fun to do. Thanks Lee.

A very inventive and clever take on the theme. Well done for coming up with the idea and the creativeness. :clap:

Thanks very much, Stan.

Now that's dedication Bob. I'd be more worried about getting flour in my scalextric but your a martyr to the cause. Nicely done

The flour (and even chocolate powder) is never a problem for the Scalextric freakies I know. They actually prefer it to just plain track. I was a bit worried about my camera, though. Cheers Ian.

Briliant! great dedication to the cause

Cold
That is brilliant, it fooled me. It wasn't until I read your post that I new it was all a big ruse, deception, fake, faux, hoax, counterfeit, fraud :p.

Cold
That is brilliant, it fooled me. It wasn't until I read your post that I new it was all a big ruse, deception, fake, faux, hoax, counterfeit, fraud :p.

Thanks Dominic !! My trick, imposture, jape, swindle, spoof .. paid off!!

Love this one Bob well done to you, your efforts paid off a really super shot for the theme.:clap:

Thanks Susie. ;)

Your efforts have been well rewarded with a great shot, well done. Very creative

Worth the effort as the shot is awesome, hope it didn't get too messy when the snow melted into dough.

Your efforts have been well rewarded with a great shot, well done. Very creative

Thank you Lindsay.

Worth the effort as the shot is awesome, hope it didn't get too messy when the snow melted into dough.

It can actually happen! Sometimes you get a doughy mess under the braids, and inside around the motor. Anywhere where there might be a drop of oil. Cheers.

Great idea and snap for Cold Bob!

TP52 (2019) Week 6 - WAITING

I'm gonna put three shots this week.

I went to a couple of underground train stations to try and get some photos of people waiting. I came across a problem as the lines out of Barcelona weren't running due to some kind of problem, so great I thought, a ready made group at the ticket barrier (#1).

Eventually we were allowed down to the platforms (#2).

In the meantime, and as the railway people said that it wasn't a mechanical fault but rather "some other type of problem", I noticed that there was a somewhat somber atmosphere, people talking quietly etc and I managed to capture the young lady looking lost in thought. (#3)

waiting by Bob Newsome Photography, on Flickr

Unfortunately, there was an incident on one of the lines outside Barcelona. At the moment, it isn't known if it was an accident, or the other reason ……….

Last edited:
No3 for me Bob - the other two just look like a row of people's backs.

No3 for me Bob - the other two just look like a row of people's backs.

Yes, you are right, Dave. Really they are just there to illustrate the story and provide a 'possible' reason for the girl's expression. Maybe she was thinking about what could have happened, or if she would be late etc... Cheers

I agree the 3rd one her expression says a lot, well spotted

Yes, I was actually tempted to approach her and show her the photo, or ask if she minded my using it. But in the end I chickened out. Cheers.

Yep number 3 for me Bob! The expression you've captured is great!

Yep number 3 for me Bob! The expression you've captured is great!

Thank you Daniel.

I like all three, great journalistic story telling.(y)
For a single image, the third one says it all!
Great expression, nicely framed and very well processed.
Did you find out what the incident was?
Hope it wasn't serious!

Thanks for the comments Gareth. And yes, unfortunately someone was run over and killed by a train. It could have been someone trying to cross the line, but it was at a station with platforms so highly unlikely. Possibly an accident, someone fell/collapsed. But, as in other cases I have heard about, the lack of specific information usually implies a more sinister reason. So I reckon someone jumped.

The third shot for me. It goes well with how you described events at a time before the reality of it was fully known. Sad that said event was tragic :(

I like image three the best, but now reading the story the previous two images build up to the third, giving it more context. Like the composition and tones.

I like No.3 She is in a world of her own, i actually like No.1 as well, everyone is milling around, waiting.

Great street shooting, the mono looks great in these.

Waiting
#3 does it for me. A really nice capture, maybe a little more arm showing at the bottom would be good.

#3 really is the shot of the bunch, in fact shot of the theme in my opinion.
Her expression really does seem to be thoughtful / compassionate, which is the complete opposite of the expressions on people's faces in London when they are delayed for any reason (including jumpers (if that's what caused the delay)).

I like image three the best, but now reading the story the previous two images build up to the third, giving it more context. Like the composition and tones.

Yeah, that was the idea .. to set the scene so to speak. Thanks Dom.

I like No.3 She is in a world of her own, i actually like No.1 as well, everyone is milling around, waiting.

Yep, totally lost in thought. And the milling around was unfolding at that exact moment. As soon as people heard that there was a non-mechanical problem, the rumours started. That's when I got the idea for a 'story'.
Thanks Ian.

Bob, I agree with the many number three. Her expression says it all

Thanks Chris.

Great street shooting, the mono looks great in these.

Yes, for some reason. Most street toggers go for black/white. Must be the "newspaper look" or something like that. Cheers Rick.

Waiting
#3 does it for me. A really nice capture, maybe a little more arm showing at the bottom would be good.

Point taken. Her full arm and the coffee cup would have been better. But I was worried about being spotted so it was focus/shoot and act normal!!
Cheers Dominic

#3 really is the shot of the bunch, in fact shot of the theme in my opinion.
Her expression really does seem to be thoughtful / compassionate, which is the complete opposite of the expressions on people's faces in London when they are delayed for any reason (including jumpers (if that's what caused the delay)).

Thanks Tim. Yes, it was a jumper, but there are no more details. And I guess these things are kept out of the papers.

TP52 (2019) Week 7 - ROUGH

I shoe-horned a bit with "ROUGH edges worn smooth", but 'tis done. I also tried a bit of selective-colouring using GIMP, but I'm not sure if the time spent is worth it!!
I am also nuff so don't look too closely.

ROUGH by Bob Newsome Photography, on Flickr

That's a good collection of images for Waiting, Bob, but having read your explanation I agree that #3 is the most fitting. She looks miles away and distracted, and the dark background and use of B&W isolate her face well.
Rough is a clever idea and I like the arrangement of the piles of coins and the highlights reflected in the surface. As Dave said, selective colouring works better with some images than others and I don't often like it, but it does suit this image (y)

Not a fan of selective colour and I don’t think its one of your better images no idea what else to add so will leave it there

Well I like selective colouring , especially when the subject works and the process is done well. Your image looks good to me. thumbsup from me

Hi Bob time to catch up on some comments!

New - Great image to kick off your TP52 challenge for 2109 love the waves crashing against the wall and that sky really adds to the feel of a storm brewing

Clean - Really like this the crop works very well great take on the theme

Open - Nice original take on the theme nicely composed maybe a touch too dark for me but I still really like it.

Distant - Good take on the theme how did you manage to find an empty platform!

Cold - Works for me it looks like a real rally stage!

Waiting - Great set of images for the theme No 1 says waiting more to me but No 3 is a cracking image and my favorite of the set

Rough - Clever idea I like the arrangement and the reflections

Selective colouring is a bit marmite, usually I hate it but this time I think it works really well. I didn't even realise you'd done it to start with, I thought it was just two different coloured coins!

Really like No3 on Waiting - very nicely done and the lady looks deep in thought whilst waiting.

Rough - nicely set up and I like the contrast in colours of the coins - shoehorned right in there ;)

Back