BobBCN 52 Challenge 2019 - Week 52

Love this image - simple but very effective - and loved the colour popping.

On some things selective colour works and on others it does not. On your shot I do actually like the little reflections though even though they don`t look very rough.

Cheers Dave. Yes, not rough due to use I guess.

Very nice image Bob.
I love the subtle lighting and the reflections too.
The composition works well, and selective colour method is nice too.
Cool!(y)

Cheers Gareth.

That's a good collection of images for Waiting, Bob, but having read your explanation I agree that #3 is the most fitting. She looks miles away and distracted, and the dark background and use of B&W isolate her face well.
Rough is a clever idea and I like the arrangement of the piles of coins and the highlights reflected in the surface. As Dave said, selective colouring works better with some images than others and I don't often like it, but it does suit this image (y)

Thank you Andrea.

Not a fan of selective colour and I don’t think its one of your better images no idea what else to add so will leave it there

Thanks Allan. Comment appreciated.

Well I like selective colouring , especially when the subject works and the process is done well. Your image looks good to me. thumbsup from me

Cheers Chenti

Selective colouring is not always to everyone’s taste but I like this one.

Thanks Stan. Yep, selective colouring is always gonna be a risk.

Hi Bob time to catch up on some comments!

New - Great image to kick off your TP52 challenge for 2109 love the waves crashing against the wall and that sky really adds to the feel of a storm brewing

Clean - Really like this the crop works very well great take on the theme

Open - Nice original take on the theme nicely composed maybe a touch too dark for me but I still really like it.

Distant - Good take on the theme how did you manage to find an empty platform!

Cold - Works for me it looks like a real rally stage!

Waiting - Great set of images for the theme No 1 says waiting more to me but No 3 is a cracking image and my favorite of the set

Rough - Clever idea I like the arrangement and the reflections

Cheers Mark

Selective colouring is a bit marmite, usually I hate it but this time I think it works really well. I didn't even realise you'd done it to start with, I thought it was just two different coloured coins!

Ah, somebody else said that when I showed them the photo without the explanation. Cheers.

Really like No3 on Waiting - very nicely done and the lady looks deep in thought whilst waiting.

Rough - nicely set up and I like the contrast in colours of the coins - shoehorned right in there ;)

Thanks Ian

Love this image - simple but very effective - and loved the colour popping.

Thank you Joan.

Waiting as others have said no3 is the one it’s a very good capture perfectly timed.

Rough I like the picture and the selective colour but it does not work for me as rough sorry.

Waiting as others have said no3 is the one it’s a very good capture perfectly timed.

Rough I like the picture and the selective colour but it does not work for me as rough sorry.

Thanks Peter. Point taken about the rough-edged coins. To be honest they aren't rough at all and in fact are quite smooth even before they are worn smoother by use.
It's a fair cop, guv'!!

Also not really a fan of selective colour.
My suggestion for this, though, would be to add some colour to the reflections of the coloured coins as I would suspect they should reflect colour.
It would then say "coloured coins in amongst silver ones" rather than being selective colour.
YMMV.

TP52 (2019) Week 8 - OBJECT

My initial idea was to take a simple object and do something with it, but I ran out of time.
Flicking through my Flickr, however, I came across this shot, which actually suited exactly what I had intended!!
I remember setting the camera to continuous, hoping I would catch the spark. I don't know how many times I did that until I finally got this one.

Image6 by Bob Newsome Photography, on Flickr

Your persistence paid off Bob, a well timed image! Looks like little fireworks in your hand. The contrast of the sparks works well in black and white too.

Very clever image and great idea in the first place to try and capture this.... and you did, nicely

Great image Bob!
The patience certainly paid off....perfect sparks, and the exposure is just right so as not to lose any detail elsewhere.
Those 'clipper' lighters take me back to my smoking days of long ago....haven't seen one of those for years!!

Very nice work Bob!(y)

Great shot, worth the effort nice looking sparks and stands out being Black & White.

its a nice shot and a nice mono conversion, i am not a fan of colour popping, sorry.
Thanks. Comment appreciated!

Also not really a fan of selective colour.
My suggestion for this, though, would be to add some colour to the reflections of the coloured coins as I would suspect they should reflect colour.
It would then say "coloured coins in amongst silver ones" rather than being selective colour.
YMMV.

I get what you mean. Interesting idea. Cheers.

Your persistence paid off Bob, a well timed image! Looks like little fireworks in your hand. The contrast of the sparks works well in black and white too.
Very clever image and great idea in the first place to try and capture this.... and you did, nicely
I really like that Bob you must have be very patient to capture that one.
Very good shot indeed Bob, like the sparks coming up and looks great in mono.
Well done for your perseverance works well for the theme
Great image Bob!
The patience certainly paid off....perfect sparks, and the exposure is just right so as not to lose any detail elsewhere.
Those 'clipper' lighters take me back to my smoking days of long ago....haven't seen one of those for years!!
Very nice work Bob!(y)
Great shot, worth the effort nice looking sparks and stands out being Black & White.
That's quite some perseverance then, to get that shot.
Interesting too :) Works well in mono.

Thanks for all of these comments.

Perseverance and a burnt thumb! But it paid-off!!

Yep - the spray really works. Minimalist - yet lots to look at :D

Cracking image for 'wet' Bob!
I love the simplicity of the image, and the mono treatment too....first class processing.
Clever use of shutter speed to give the spray some motion blur....love the smooth misty look.
You say that you naffed up cloning out your hand....well I can't see it, so I think you pulled it off nicely!
Great work, and a perfect fit for the theme.(y)

Cracking image for 'wet' Bob!
I love the simplicity of the image, and the mono treatment too....first class processing.
Clever use of shutter speed to give the spray some motion blur....love the smooth misty look.
You say that you naffed up cloning out your hand....well I can't see it, so I think you pulled it off nicely!
Great work, and a perfect fit for the theme.(y)

Thanks Gareth!

That's a great picture, excellent tones
Yep - the spray really works. Minimalist - yet lots to look at :D
Simple but effective the spray looks great
Just catching up again Bob, and those are two really clever ideas for the last two themes (y) The spark from the lighter is really interesting and is well worth your repeated efforts to capture that brief moment, while Wet is another original idea and works especially well in B&W.
Great image Bob, it took me a second to figure out what it was, but I think it's really clever and well taken. Great work
Nice image, love the fine spray mist and nice black & white conversion.
You’ve really captured that spark Bob, well done for persevering with that one.

I like the fine mist for Wet, you’ve done well to capture so much detail, very effective.
Great shot for wet, great focus on the spray and good in mono.
Black and white a great choice here, I like the pattern in the spray, great idea, simple yet very effective.

Thanks everyone. In fact, I used the same technique as OBJECT. Camera on continuous and spraying away to my heart's content. It was actually something like 'Glassex' for cleaning er… glass, I guess. So the table was well-shiny at the end!!

Hi Bob,

Staying in out of the cold and having a big catchup on commenting :D

Distant - Nice clean station and very quiet! Nice lines into the distance and I particularly like the row of different tiles right down the middle
Cold - Excellently done. I did do a double take when I saw this and then had a chuckle. Well set up and I like the lines of snow falling
Waiting - No3 for me, I like the positioning in the frame and you caught the moment well. Only a tiny niggle that you cut through her hand, I don't think it would work if you cropped it out as the lightness balances the shot but I kind of want to see the rest. Works very well in B&W
Rough - I think the colour pop works here, might have been a little plain other wise. Nice reflection in the glossy base
Object - Cool sparky highlights
Wet - Thought this was come kind of light projector at first glance. Clever idea, perfect in mono too

:D

Hi Bob,

Staying in out of the cold and having a big catchup on commenting :D

Distant - Nice clean station and very quiet! Nice lines into the distance and I particularly like the row of different tiles right down the middle
Cold - Excellently done. I did do a double take when I saw this and then had a chuckle. Well set up and I like the lines of snow falling
Waiting - No3 for me, I like the positioning in the frame and you caught the moment well. Only a tiny niggle that you cut through her hand, I don't think it would work if you cropped it out as the lightness balances the shot but I kind of want to see the rest. Works very well in B&W
Rough - I think the colour pop works here, might have been a little plain other wise. Nice reflection in the glossy base
Object - Cool sparky highlights
Wet - Thought this was come kind of light projector at first glance. Clever idea, perfect in mono too

:D

Thanks for stopping by Georgina. Comments appreciated.

Nice wet image. Very creative there Bob

Bob

Just catching up with comments.

Distance, great shot of a new underground station, all nice and clean, I like the way you have centred the tactile tiles down the image, glad you did not go B&W as the colours really help.

Cold, had to laugh at your description and I admire your dedication on getting this shot.

Waiting, I prefer the last image here, its the look on the girls face. All are very good.

Rough, On theme and I thought they where copper and silver coins.

Object, well it works, it is an object and the sparks add to the image which is rather dark without them.

Wet, on theme, but the part of the spray bottle you have distracts from the Image, not sure if more or less is required. Spray gives an interesting effect.

Pete

Back