BobBCN 52 Challenge 2019 - Week 52

Excellent photo, very imaginative and very well processed

Hi Bob

Entrance - I like the way you included part of the bike in the foreground, so you have that and the shop in focus and everything else rushing through (y)
Young - Very good, took me a minute. I was thinking why are they stood in shoes, bit weird and then it clicked :D
Food - I like how they fade into the bg. I guess they are the different colours, so you get the lighter shades?

:D

Very nice mono for food Bob, loving the Oof faded pasta in the BG.

Thanks Dave

I take it there is a reason why you didn’t use the colour shot it’s a nice macro/abstract shot though as for the “young” shoehorn that’s a little bit scary and odd.

It just looked a bit crappy in color tbh. And yes YOUNG is scary and a little weird!!

Cheers Allan

Great image Bob!
I love the processing, and the DoF works very well....the 'colours' are balanced perfectly.
Nice work Bob!(y)

Thanks Gareth.

Excellent photo, very imaginative and very well processed

Thank you Mark

Very creative and nice processing. I like the strong shadow and the fading effect of the pasta. Personally, I like to have more breathing space around the sides.

Yes, perhaps it's a bit crammed into the frame. Point taken. Thanks Stan

Hi Bob

Entrance - I like the way you included part of the bike in the foreground, so you have that and the shop in focus and everything else rushing through (y)
Young - Very good, took me a minute. I was thinking why are they stood in shoes, bit weird and then it clicked :D
Food - I like how they fade into the bg. I guess they are the different colours, so you get the lighter shades?

:D

Thanks for stopping by, Georgina.
Definitely weird for my young/shoehorn!! And the pasta was green, orange and 'normal' - hence the fading ..

Very clever and creative shot for your Food shot Bob. Very clever demonstration of how colour has a strong effect in mono images. Excellent shot.

Smooth, a great close up image and I like the concept for the theme. Nicely done.

Nice interesting shot for Smooth Bob. I'm intrigued to see a wider shot to see what it is. Nicely lit. The black gold and silver colours work very well together.

Hi Bob,

Entrance - Sorry, doesn't really work for me. Nothing I can really pout my finger on other than how busy it is.

Young - chuckle. I like this. The bright toy dolls sitting in slippers (I think) like that is exactly the sort of thing I would have found around the house some years ago :)

Food - Clever - I didn't realise Pasta when I was tick off the spreadsheet, but I can see it is now. Liking the fade out to the background and the positioning / set up.

Smooth - Miniature engineering, I likes it. The colour works well with the shallow DoF. (y)

Food - I like it a lot. I am a mono fan. I actually thought, before I read the description, that it might have been cough candy.

Smooth - very nice macro. Great detail and sharpness, just where it needs to be

What a great macro image Bob....very creative....superb!
As Lee says, the warm colours and tones work very well.
DoF is perfect and the crop is spot on.
The more I look at this image, the more I like it....one might say it really 'meshes' with me!!:giggle:
Great work Bob!(y)

Smooth
Good light and composition. I'd like to see the whole thing, just because I'm nosey.

Hi Bob

Food, clever idea for food, did you try the colours the other way round? Anyway nice details and looks good in Mono.

Smooth, while not looking smooth the sewing machine oil in the bearing would do it. Nice close up plenty of detail etc.

Pete

Smooth ride, well just might be on theme but a good close up.

Yeah, it just about fits!! Cheers Dave.

Smooth, a great close up image and I like the concept for the theme. Nicely done.

Thanks Jim.

Excellent smooth photo with great dof for the subject

Thanks Mark.

Good idea for the theme I like the limited colour palette

Cheers Allan.

Nice interesting shot for Smooth Bob. I'm intrigued to see a wider shot to see what it is. Nicely lit. The black gold and silver colours work very well together.

Thanks Lee. The fuller view may appear at a later stage in the challenge. But it's just a rear axle …..

Hi Bob,

Entrance - Sorry, doesn't really work for me. Nothing I can really pout my finger on other than how busy it is.

Young - chuckle. I like this. The bright toy dolls sitting in slippers (I think) like that is exactly the sort of thing I would have found around the house some years ago :)

Food - Clever - I didn't realise Pasta when I was tick off the spreadsheet, but I can see it is now. Liking the fade out to the background and the positioning / set up.

Smooth - Miniature engineering, I likes it. The colour works well with the shallow DoF. (y)

Thanks for the comments Tim.

Food - I like it a lot. I am a mono fan. I actually thought, before I read the description, that it might have been cough candy.

Smooth - very nice macro. Great detail and sharpness, just where it needs to be

Could have been for sure. Cheers Ian

What a great macro image Bob....very creative....superb!
As Lee says, the warm colours and tones work very well.
DoF is perfect and the crop is spot on.
The more I look at this image, the more I like it....one might say it really 'meshes' with me!!:giggle:
Great work Bob!(y)

Thanks Gareth!

Smooth
Good light and composition. I'd like to see the whole thing, just because I'm nosey.

Thanks Dominic. As I said, just a rear axle on a Scalextric model.

Nice work Bob, I like the gritty texture, the contrast and the interesting colours.

Thanks Carl.

Im not sure it portrays smooth to the casual viewer, but it is a cracking photo. great tones and detail make this really nice to look at and study how it all works. nice one.

Cheers!!

Hi Bob

Food, clever idea for food, did you try the colours the other way round? Anyway nice details and looks good in Mono.

Smooth, while not looking smooth the sewing machine oil in the bearing would do it. Nice close up plenty of detail etc.

Pete

Yes, it doesn't actually look that smooth, but it runs smoothly!! Thanks Pete

Distant - good clean shot, what an empty platform.
Cold - that looks cold and wet, great staging you had me fooled too.
waiting - the first one really shows a lot of waiting but I too like the 3rd one the most.
Rough - interesting take on the theme the edges do appear rough I am sure they feel rough enough for a blind person to distinguish them from a smooth edged coin.
object - your patience paid off again, that is a great capture.
Wet - took me a while to work it out but now that I see it its really clever.
Free -
As a little boy trying this No hands my Mum told me this, Look Mum No hands, Look Mum No feet, Look Mum No teeth.
- My mum said that too.
Entrance - doesn't really show off the entrance but I like the sense of the motion.
Young - nice shoe horn
food - works well, I expect it would have worked in colour too.
Smooth - nice close up, i am sure it does run smoothly

Distant - good clean shot, what an empty platform.
Cold - that looks cold and wet, great staging you had me fooled too.
waiting - the first one really shows a lot of waiting but I too like the 3rd one the most.
Rough - interesting take on the theme the edges do appear rough I am sure they feel rough enough for a blind person to distinguish them from a smooth edged coin.
object - your patience paid off again, that is a great capture.
Wet - took me a while to work it out but now that I see it its really clever.
Free - - My mum said that too.
Entrance - doesn't really show off the entrance but I like the sense of the motion.
Young - nice shoe horn
food - works well, I expect it would have worked in colour too.
Smooth - nice close up, i am sure it does run smoothly

Thank for the comments, Alison. Much appreciated!!

TP52 (2019) Week 15 - ABOVE

I must admit that this theme didn't really inspire me - maybe I should have looked harder for some churches!!
But anyway, after having craned my neck in search of high-up things, I came across this … er …. crane!! Well, a number of them actually, but this was my favourite!!
So just to get the theme out of the way, and let's see what this week throws up.

As a side note, the builders thought I was from the council because they had had problems getting permission to erect their cranes because they are quite close, and they assumed I was taking photos to prove how dangerously close they were to each other. When I told them the real reason they were a little bemused to say the least. They also told me that in reality these cranes were midgets compared to the ones in Shanghai and Dubai. Who was I to argue? They obviously know their stuff.

15.ABOVE by Bob Newsome Photography, on Flickr

I do like this image Bob!(y)
Such detail and the composition works well...the lines are great!
I'm assuming that this thing is pretty tall (I suppose that goes without saying) so the detail you have is superb, and I like how you've chosen to photograph the top section, rather than the whole thing.
A great story to go with it too.

Food - Cool abstract image, suits mono!
Smooth - Nice macro image, looks good for sooc!
Above - Colours and composition are good and stand out nicely against the sky. I perhaps might have liked to have seen a little more of the crane, but its a nice image. Nice work Bob!

Last edited:
Hi Bob, apologies for not hopping in before, I've had a good look back, you've had some super ideas for the themes.

ENTRANCE You've captured the movement perfectly it turns an ordinary view into something really eye catching.

YOUNG The figures are bright and cheery, there's been a few boxes of those here over the years with the grandaughters.

FOOD Who would have thought a pasta spiral could look so interesting, I like the choice of the b&w, very effective.

SMOOTH This ones my favourite, I love macro, it shows so much detail, then lots of lovely blur around the edges, nice colour tones too.

ABOVE I really like it, there's something fascinating about seeing cranes high up against the skyline, I've taken loads of photos of them, I wouldn't fancy being a crane driver I'm not that keen on heights!

Nice shot for above. I like the composition of the crane jib on the diagonal. Spot on for the theme and you wouldn't catch me going that far above!!

I do like a crane pic - nice one :)

Hi Bob,

That's not a 'that'll do shot', that is an excellent shot. Nice low key look. A cracking interpretation of the theme too. Nice one :clap:

Great shot Bob. A really good take on the theme and works really nicely in mono with the slight smoke to it

I do like this image Bob!(y)
Such detail and the composition works well...the lines are great!
I'm assuming that this thing is pretty tall (I suppose that goes without saying) so the detail you have is superb, and I like how you've chosen to photograph the top section, rather than the whole thing.
A great story to go with it too.

Thanks Gareth!!

Nice idea and it fits the theme well, nice detail too

Cheers Allan

I have seen some very tall ones over the years, but your shot is spot on for the theme.

Thank you Dave
Nice shot, Bob. I like the muted colours and the portrait format fits nicely with the composition.

Yes, I think I may have dropped the saturation in the camera settings. Must check! Cheers Stan.

Food - Cool abstract image, suits mono!
Smooth - Nice macro image, looks good for sooc!
Above - Colours and composition are good and stand out nicely against the sky. I perhaps might have liked to have seen a little more of the crane, but its a nice image. Nice work Bob!

Thanks Dominic

Hi Bob, apologies for not hopping in before, I've had a good look back, you've had some super ideas for the themes.

ENTRANCE You've captured the movement perfectly it turns an ordinary view into something really eye catching.

YOUNG The figures are bright and cheery, there's been a few boxes of those here over the years with the grandaughters.

FOOD Who would have thought a pasta spiral could look so interesting, I like the choice of the b&w, very effective.

SMOOTH This ones my favourite, I love macro, it shows so much detail, then lots of lovely blur around the edges, nice colour tones too.

ABOVE I really like it, there's something fascinating about seeing cranes high up against the skyline, I've taken loads of photos of them, I wouldn't fancy being a crane driver I'm not that keen on heights!

Thanks for dropping by Susie. Your comments are appreciated!

Nice shot for above. I like the composition of the crane jib on the diagonal. Spot on for the theme and you wouldn't catch me going that far above!!

Thanks Lee!

I do like a crane pic - nice one :)

Cheers Dave

A soldering iron?

It is indeed. Spot on Joan

Hi Bob,

That's not a 'that'll do shot', that is an excellent shot. Nice low key look. A cracking interpretation of the theme too. Nice one :clap:

Thanks Lee. I love this comment!!!

Jolly inventive Bob!:clap:
I've been messing with my soldering iron too lately....why didn't I think of that?!:facepalm:
Great concept, and well executed!
The low key look works very well, and that wisp of solder vapour is perfect!
Nice work Bob!(y)

Yes I tried for the wisp of smoke. It would have been flat without it. Cheers

Great shot Bob. A really good take on the theme and works really nicely in mono with the slight smoke to it

Thank you Ian!

Hot is a good shot! like the composition, really suits mono. Like that you have caught the solder fumes. Wouldn't have noticed the background until I read your comments. Doesn't detract from the image though!

Back