BobBCN 52 Challenge 2019 - Week 52

Definitely abandoned looks like a dangerous place to take a picture

Hi there Bob,

Wide: That's a great shot and PoV. Good mono conversion too.
Free: The selective colour works very well and you have a great subject. Nice detail throughout.
Dirty: Perfect for the theme and, as you say, the bugs are very happy! I like the inclusion of the word Net too. Well seen.
Closed: Great comment to go along with your photo. Nicely taken.
Life: That is a thought provoking image. Very well processed in mono too.
Interior: That does look like it has seen better days! I like the high contrast between the beams, showdown and brightly lit areas.

Interior
I quite like the light and dark, looks good in black and white too.

I should have looked at your interior shot before I attempted my feeble effort! Nicely done.

Definitely abandoned looks like a dangerous place to take a picture

Not dangerous, well at least during the daytime. Cheers Allan

Looks more like exterior than interior in its dilapidated state. Nice monochrome conversion.

Cheers Stan.

Hi there Bob,

Wide: That's a great shot and PoV. Good mono conversion too.
Free: The selective colour works very well and you have a great subject. Nice detail throughout.
Dirty: Perfect for the theme and, as you say, the bugs are very happy! I like the inclusion of the word Net too. Well seen.
Closed: Great comment to go along with your photo. Nicely taken.
Life: That is a thought provoking image. Very well processed in mono too.
Interior: That does look like it has seen better days! I like the high contrast between the beams, showdown and brightly lit areas.

Thanks for the comments Lee. Appreciated.

Interior
I quite like the light and dark, looks good in black and white too.

Cheers Dominic

I should have looked at your interior shot before I attempted my feeble effort! Nicely done.

Thanks !!

Really super image Bob!
Great lines, and I love the shadows and the mono treatment is superb!
Great fit for the theme!(y)

Cheers Gareth.

Nice placky farm scene Bob :D

Must admit Bob, the plastic sheep and sheepdog is a great idea. I seem to remember plastic farm animals as a child made by a company called Britannia or something. I need to visit the attic as i am sure I might have some, and some farm machinery that I could use for some theme in the future.

Plastic
Good little scene and well spotted. I wonder maybe there was a slightly better angle, to show the dog a bit better.

WEEKS 34. EMPTY, 35. BUILDING, 36. SOFT

Catching up shots basically but at least I am still in the game……..

An EMPTY church. Well, Bradford Cathedral actually. Empty pews etc etc

34.EMPTY by Bob Newsome Photography, on Flickr

A BUILDING. The village church at Josa del Cadi (featured in an earlier shot - TIME) built on the rock as are some of the other houses around it.

35. BUILDING by Bob Newsome Photography, on Flickr

My take on SOFT. You could say ok ok 'soft focus' and 'soft lighting'… and I suppose that's fair enough.

But my interpretation is much more bizarre. Let me give you some clues.

1. They are pills.
2. They are often blue!
3. They are for men!!!!

You know what I'm saying!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

36. SOFT by Bob Newsome Photography, on Flickr

Empty
Good job on the exposure.

Building
Good pov.

Soft
Well, I think I get what you mean :eek:
Good idea too.

Three good catch ups, empty church works really well nice little church for building and a really good idea for soft unusual but good

Excellent imagery Bob!:clap:
Very nice catch ups.

Empty: This is a great shot....the repetition of the reflections from the pews is tremendously effective, drawing the eye right through the image. Great use of the light available.
Building: I love the low PoV here, really elevates this charming building. And the sky is perfect too....that little break in the cloud right above the spire is perfect!
Soft: I think I know what you're saying here!!;)
I'm afraid to google it for fear of irreparably altering my browsing profile, and thence condemning myself to a life long and very tedious process of deleting emailed marketing material for the aforementioned little, blue pills!!:LOL:
Fantastic shot though, very creative with great lighting and excellent mono treatment.(y)

Three good shots to catch up with, Empty is my favourite, in what looks like tricky lighting.

Hi Bob,
Seems I'm doing another mammoth catch-up for your shots.
  • Soft - lol, shame colour pop tech had finished before this one.
  • Building - Very striking against that sky. (y)
  • Empty - Just enough light and yet dark enough to give it that empty feeling. I did wonder about correcting the verticals, but on balance I don't think it needs it.
  • Plastic - Not for me I'm afraid. A little too tightly cropped and it doesn't really say anything to me.
  • Interior - Whereas this is just excellent. A great bit of urbex which really suits the mono.
  • Life - Another shot working really well in B&W. Did he choose that life, or it it choose him?
  • Closed - Indeed, what is the world coming to when the oldest profession is struggling.
  • Dirty - If net means clean in Catalan, I wonder what they make of the internet ;) With that shot I wonder if going wider and adding context might give it something else? Dunno.
  • Free - A lovely lady you have there Bob. The fact that the background is stone makes the selective colour far more natural, excellent choice for technique.
  • Wide - I'm guessing either a flat grey or blue sky? Hence the mono treatment? I would kinda like a bit of colour in this shot and maybe lit from the front?
  • Drink - That's interesting, I would never have guessed they were beer bubbles. What beer is bright orange?
  • Full - I would love to see this in colour too, I suspect the labels are a riot.

OK I am struggling to keep up …… but I will finish the challenge...

Here's a catch up for 37-40 (so just two weeks now behind!!!)

WEEK 37 - OLD: an old archive photo of an old car

37. OLD by Bob Newsome Photography, on Flickr

WEEK 38 - FLOWER: this is one of those fleshy cactus-type plants, known (I think) as "the flower of the desert".

38. FLOWER by Bob Newsome Photography, on Flickr

WEEK 39 - DULL: as in never a dull moment here in Catalunya. Bins (now cleared away) burnt as part of the protests against whatever, or just vandalism. Dunno!

39. DULL by Bob Newsome Photography, on Flickr

WEEK 40 - FREE: My new phone. It's a Xaiomi (as in 'the way to go home') but anyway, more importantly the University of San Diego women's volleyball team beat BYU (as in Brigham Young University) at their place in Provo, Utah. Both teams went into this game having both played 7 games with 7 wins. Now SD is out on top!! And my daughter played a blinder!! Oh yeah, I watched the game at 3am on this very phone.

40. FREE by Bob Newsome Photography, on Flickr

A great set of catch-up shots.

Flower; looks a bit dull and dusty. Is that water in the centre?
Near; no idea initially until I read your narrative. Well done to you trying to dump the habit.
Song; I'm not musical incline, is it a violin/fiddle? Unusual colour and what are the colour tabs on the neck?

A great set of catch-up shots.

Flower; looks a bit dull and dusty. Is that water in the centre?
Near; no idea initially until I read your narrative. Well done to you trying to dump the habit.
Song; I'm not musical incline, is it a violin/fiddle? Unusual colour and what are the colour tabs on the neck?

Yes, water and the leaves have some kind of whitish dust on them.
The violin has a guide so you know where to press. Hence the colours. Still difficult though!

Hi Bob,
  • Old - Surprised it's still on a jack, and that it hasn't been dropped onto bricks or onto the floor. Looks like it's been in that condition for some time...
  • Flower - is that dust/sand on the petals, hiding the red, or is that it's natural colour? The occasional drop of water on it make me think it's the natural colouration, but the picture makes you ask questions.
  • Dull - I find this interesting, it's journalistic in that it's documenting some of the unrest currently hitting parts of europe (not just Spain).
  • Near - That's quite a cool close-up, the detail there is not something you often/ever see.
  • Song - Well, you don't often see violins in Nursery blue do you ;)

Well done for catching up some nice ideas particularly “near” and “dull”

Great catch ups Bob, some excellent images here!:clap:

Old: That looks precarious! Nice image of a dusty old banger!
Flower: Really nice close up. Those fleshy leaves are very interesting, and the water gives it an extra dimension. Nicely done.
Dull: Very interesting image with a great documentary feel to it.
Free: Great story! You must be so proud of your daughter! Well done SD!
Near: Terrific macro image! I love the detail in the tobacco! Best of luck quitting for good Bob...I've been tobacco free for a few years now, although I now use one of those new fangled vaping devices!:giggle:
Song: Great colour for the violin! I had violin lessons many, many years ago, and those fingering position marks would have been very helpful. A very nice, crisp image.

Hi Bob,
  • Old - Surprised it's still on a jack, and that it hasn't been dropped onto bricks or onto the floor. Looks like it's been in that condition for some time...
  • Flower - is that dust/sand on the petals, hiding the red, or is that it's natural colour? The occasional drop of water on it make me think it's the natural colouration, but the picture makes you ask questions.
  • Dull - I find this interesting, it's journalistic in that it's documenting some of the unrest currently hitting parts of europe (not just Spain).
  • Near - That's quite a cool close-up, the detail there is not something you often/ever see.
  • Song - Well, you don't often see violins in Nursery blue do you ;)

Cheers for the comments!

The flower shot was touched up. The natural colour is a kind of violet/green.

Great catch ups Bob, some excellent images here!:clap:

Old: That looks precarious! Nice image of a dusty old banger!
Flower: Really nice close up. Those fleshy leaves are very interesting, and the water gives it an extra dimension. Nicely done.
Dull: Very interesting image with a great documentary feel to it.
Free: Great story! You must be so proud of your daughter! Well done SD!
Near: Terrific macro image! I love the detail in the tobacco! Best of luck quitting for good Bob...I've been tobacco free for a few years now, although I now use one of those new fangled vaping devices!:giggle:
Song: Great colour for the violin! I had violin lessons many, many years ago, and those fingering position marks would have been very helpful. A very nice, crisp image.
Cheers Gareth

Yes, super proud. Off there in November to watch her play!!

Great catch up there Bob.

Empty is a good shot perfect for the theme. There's something about churches and the like. They are photogenic at almost every angle.
Building - A lovely shot with a great sky. I might have been tempted to clone out the TV aerial?
Soft - Very good and imaginative take on the theme.
Free - You must be super proud! Great background story.
Near - very sharp with loads of detail. Good image.
Song - A good sharp shot. Unusual colours which I like.

Great catch up there Bob.

Empty is a good shot perfect for the theme. There's something about churches and the like. They are photogenic at almost every angle.
Building - A lovely shot with a great sky. I might have been tempted to clone out the TV aerial?
Soft - Very good and imaginative take on the theme.
Free - You must be super proud! Great background story.
Near - very sharp with loads of detail. Good image.
Song - A good sharp shot. Unusual colours which I like.

Thanks Lee. Comments appreciated!!

Super catch up.
I'm liking the fiddle and the old car.

Thanks Dominic!

WEEK 43 - BORROWED

Well, various ideas seen elsewhere and therefore borrowed. Couldn't choose one, so I posted the lot.

43. BORROWED (1) by Bob Newsome Photography, on Flickr

48970639347_54e5fb64b3_z.jpg
43. BORROWED (2) by Bob Newsome Photography, on Flickr

43. BORROWED (3) by Bob Newsome Photography, on Flickr

43. BORROWED (4) by Bob Newsome Photography, on Flickr

43. BORROWED (5) by Bob Newsome Photography, on Flickr

Last edited:
I think the one you've posted on the main thread is the pick of the bunch, the point of view and use of bokeh is really nice.

I like them all! The chosen one has great framing and a good idea with the foreground adding depth

These are all excellent images Bob!:clap:
Each have their own superb qualities:
#1- love the high key look, and the purposely blown highlights...really draws the eye through the tunnel.
#3 - is very cleverly composed and the brass colour is wonderful.
Your posted image is terrific, and is indeed the pick of the bunch, though they're all super!
Great, creative framing, and you used the light very well indeed!

Back