Boiler problem. Any experts about?

Skyline

Emmet Brickowski
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
I am going to call them out tomorrow. I don't want to get ripped off so if anyone might know what the problem is I would be very grateful :)

Make sure your boiler has enough pressure usually around 1.5Bar if any lower it might just need a quick refill via the filling loop.

What's the actual problem? No heating and hot water despite the thermostat and timer being 'on' I'm guessing?

Any fault codes? Does a reset help?

First thing to check is the pressure, if it is a combi

Sorry, should have said.
Heating and hot water is off.
No idea how to check pressure.
Normal boiler.

Last edited:
The boiler should have a pressure gauge and if it's low it won't start. If you Google filling loop and your boilers manufactures name and model it should show you where and how to refill.

Do you not have a manual as usually this is a good start.

The boiler should have a pressure gauge and if it's low it won't start. If you Google filling loop and your boilers manufactures name and model it should show you where and how to refill.

Do you not have a manual as usually this is a good start.
It's not a combi boiler, so no pressure gauge etc.
If the timer and stat are working, and a reset does nothing you need an engineer to check it out.

Screenshot_20190109-011631_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Just trying to help here not a pro in any way but reading the Ideal he18 is not a very good boiler.

It isn’t a combi, if 0 is displayed on screen then it is in standby mode and waiting for a demand. You could try checking the condense is clear but I would imagine that would have a fault code as well. If turning stat up turns on light on time lock then possibly time clock faulty or maybe something like 3 port valve sticking in airing cupboard.

I can not find a pressure gauge anywhere. It is a.. ideal icos he18
-----------

Ok, same as the last 2 times. Not working last night, came down this morning and it works. hot water and heating back on.
It's strange how the 3 times it has done this it's about 4-6 weeks apart. Doesn't work in the evening then the next morning it works again.
I will have to call them out as something isn't right. but it's a bit of a headache when someone is looking for something broken that works.

Thanks for all the help :)

It's a wireless thermostat. Have you changed the batteries in the room unit?

As said in the video, new batteries are fitted and you can see the lights flash on the unit.

Apologies, I missed that bit! :rolleyes: Does the heating fire up when you press the over-ride button on the receiver unit?

Though not the same boiler.

Ours in the past would try to fire up and fail, going into an overheat mode. As a user it was possible to do a reset.

Also, when was the last time it was serviced? Why, well the burner can get clogged and cause such non starting issues. Quite apart from the servicing being a good idea to safety & function reasons to ensure it is OK.

Apologies, I missed that bit! :rolleyes: Does the heating fire up when you press the over-ride button on the receiver unit?

Same as the last 2 times. Not working last night, came down this morning and it works. hot water and heating back on. It's very strange

Though not the same boiler.

Ours in the past would try to fire up and fail, going into an overheat mode. As a user it was possible to do a reset.

Also, when was the last time it was serviced? Why, well the burner can get clogged and cause such non starting issues. Quite apart from the servicing being a good idea to safety & function reasons to ensure it is OK.

Reset didn't do anything. It was serviced end of September.

Same as the last 2 times. Not working last night, came down this morning and it works. hot water and heating back on. It's very strange
I'm sorry but you haven't answered my last question concerning whether the heating works when the over-ride button is pressed on the thermostat receiver unit. This is a box possibly near the boiler that has a light and two push buttons on it. If this light is on when the light on the room stat is on then the problem is not the room stat but possibly as said by another the motorised valve on the heating circuit is playing up. The only other easy thing I can suggest would be to turn off the mains switch next to the programmer, wait for 30 seconds and then turn it back on again to see if that cures the fault.

I'm sorry but you haven't answered my last question concerning whether the heating works when the over-ride button is pressed on the thermostat receiver unit. This is a box possibly near the boiler that has a light and two push buttons on it. If this light is on when the light on the room stat is on then the problem is not the room stat but possibly as said by another the motorised valve on the heating circuit is playing up. The only other easy thing I can suggest would be to turn off the mains switch next to the programmer, wait for 30 seconds and then turn it back on again to see if that cures the fault.

The the over-ride button did nothing when I tried it last night night (and the 2 times it has done this before).
I also turned off the mains switch on the programmer, but that also did nothing the 3 times this has happened.

I think I have tried everything turning on and off and resetting wise. The only thing I haven't a clue about is the motorised valve on the heating circuit. That will be a job for an expert. Definitely not me :D

bit late to this thread buy our valent had a similar fault a while ago and it was the pressure, it had fallen to 0.9 bar and it would not run at all.
appreciate you have said you can't find a preasure guage but a combi boiler must have a way of you reading the pressure?

bit late to this thread buy our valent had a similar fault a while ago and it was the pressure, it had fallen to 0.9 bar and it would not run at all.
appreciate you have said you can't find a preasure guage but a combi boiler must have a way of you reading the pressure?

It's not a a combi boiler.

No gauge I can find anywhere

Thanks for the help. I have got the manual. Can't find a pressure gauge in there though.

ok having a look around the internet it looks like yours might be a system boiler, do you have a hot water tank somewhere?

according to the blurb you might have a red pressure header vessel and that should have the pressure gauge near it, possibly in the same location as your hot water cylinder?

ok having a look around the internet it looks like yours might be a system boiler, do you have a hot water tank somewhere?

according to the blurb you might have a red pressure header vessel and that should have the pressure gauge near it, possibly in the same location as your hot water cylinder?

EEK!!.. I don't want to start turning things lol.
Hot water tank is in the spare room.

The the over-ride button did nothing when I tried it last night night (and the 2 times it has done this before).
I also turned off the mains switch on the programmer, but that also did nothing the 3 times this has happened.

I think I have tried everything turning on and off and resetting wise. The only thing I haven't a clue about is the motorised valve on the heating circuit. That will be a job for an expert. Definitely not me :D
Dave, as the over-ride button does not work whilst the fault is happening I would suggest that the problem lies with the thermostat receiver unit (the box with the o/r button on it). This is known problem in the trade which I have experienced both on my own system and my customer's in my pre-retirement job as a self-employed heating engineer for 40 odd years. Sadly the remedy is to replace the receiver box unit although invariably it is a lot cheaper to buy a complete new system which seem to be in the region of £100 Depending on how long you have had the wireless thermostat it may still be under warranty. There will be a date code showing the warranty expiry date on the back of the room unit which can be viewed by un-plugging it from the wall backplate.

I can not find a pressure gauge anywhere. It is a.. ideal icos he18
-----------

Ok, same as the last 2 times. Not working last night, came down this morning and it works. hot water and heating back on.
It's strange how the 3 times it has done this it's about 4-6 weeks apart. Doesn't work in the evening then the next morning it works again.
I will have to call them out as something isn't right. but it's a bit of a headache when someone is looking for something broken that works.

Thanks for all the help :)
This sounds like a water level type of issue to me... water goes out to the system and the boiler level gets too low. It sits for a while and the water settles/returns allowing it to run again.

EEK!!.. I don't want to start turning things lol.
Hot water tank is in the spare room.

go have a look though and see if you can find the guage and report back soldier.

I assume you have checked the timer wasn't reset incorrectly when serviced?

This sounds like a water level type of issue to me... water goes out to the system and the boiler level gets too low. It sits for a while and the water settles/returns allowing it to run again.

We have had this in the past with a heat only boiler - the outlet pipe from the header tank was blocked on one of the bends.
Took some finding at the time but got there in the end. Hope you get it sorted asap.
Cheers-Paul.

Dave, as the over-ride button does not work whilst the fault is happening I would suggest that the problem lies with the thermostat receiver unit (the box with the o/r button on it). This is known problem in the trade which I have experienced both on my own system and my customer's in my pre-retirement job as a self-employed heating engineer for 40 odd years. Sadly the remedy is to replace the receiver box unit although invariably it is a lot cheaper to buy a complete new system which seem to be in the region of £100 Depending on how long you have had the wireless thermostat it may still be under warranty. There will be a date code showing the warranty expiry date on the back of the room unit which can be viewed by un-plugging it from the wall backplate.

Thanks. I'm going to call 24/7 first and see if this comes under my plan

We have had this in the past with a heat only boiler - the outlet pipe from the header tank was blocked on one of the bends.
Took some finding at the time but got there in the end. Hope you get it sorted asap.
Cheers-Paul.

Why is everybody obsessing about a pressure gauge ? It’s a conventional condensing boiler so chances are it’s tank fed. The fact the display is showing zero means it’s in standby mode ie waiting for a reason to fire up. If there was a fault with the actual boiler it would display a fault code.

Last edited:
Back