Bokeh shaped Christmas tree lights

Edit My Images
Yes
DIY Bokeh Shapes..I tried this out for the first time on the christmas tree lights. ..Really happy with the results...can see this being applied to other lightings and the shapes can be whatever you want it to be.

Last edited:
Wonderful results , I have tried this in previous christmas photos but not as good as yours..

Its pretty easy...Just do a search on bokeh shaped lights in youtube everything you need to know is there.

To work out how big you need your shape to be I find It will vary depending on the focal length of the lens used and the aperture used.

Smaller the f numbers the better or the lowest that you can go. Mine was at f2.8 and was on a focal length of 70mm.

so based on the above 70mm divided by F2.8 = 25mm

so your cut shape needs to be no bigger or contained within 25 mm square from the centre of the circle. I made mine slightly smaller than 25mm and it worked for me.

Set your lens to manual focus and turn it until you can see the shape.

Hope that helps

Last edited:
Its pretty easy...Just do a search on bokeh shaped lights in youtube everything you need to know is there.

To work out how big you need your shape to be I find It will vary depending on the focal length of the lens used and the aperture used.

Smaller the f numbers the better or the lowest that you can go. Mine was at f2.8 and was on a focal length of 70mm.

so based on the above 70mm divided by F2.8 = 25mm

so your cut shape needs to be no bigger or contained within 25 mm square from the centre of the circle. I made mine slightly smaller than 25mm and it worked for me.

Set your lens to manual focus and turn it until you can see the shape.

Hope that helps

OMG, I am so going to try this tonight with the cam!!! Before the tree goes down!!! Great job :D

Back