Bonxie v Puffin, Shetland

Name
John Moncrieff
Edit My Images
Yes
I took a drive to Sumburgh Head on the way home from work, and within a few minutes I witnessed this Bonxie (Great Skua) grabbing a Puffin in flight. After a crash, short chase, and another crash in the sea.... the Puffin escaped.

Bonxie v Puffin, Shetland, May 2019 by John Moncrieff, on Flickr

Great action shot and one very fortunate Puffin ... we've had a Bonxie on the Severn Estuary and he's been seen to take out a Common Gull.

What an amazing capture. I've had the pleasure of seeing dozens of Bonxie at Herma Ness a few times, but never seen anything like that.....nice.

Great action shot and one very fortunate Puffin ... we've had a Bonxie on the Severn Estuary and he's been seen to take out a Common Gull.

They’re ferocious brutes - saw 4 of them drown a Greylag goose once, and several take down Gannets. Even seen them trying to attract ewes away from their lambs.

What an amazing capture. I've had the pleasure of seeing dozens of Bonxie at Herma Ness a few times, but never seen anything like that.....nice.

Superb timing, not seen this before

Mike

First time I’ve seen the actual catch before (and escape in this case) I was just very lucky to have the camera in hand at the time - whole thing lasted 12 seconds.

That's absolutely fascinating! Superb photograph's

Cracking set John (y)

Back