Borderless printing in lightroom

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
No
Hi folks,
Can anyone help me with this. I have chosen the paper size in page setup (210x297mm - A4) and set the margins to zero, set the margins to zero in the print module of Lr. The image on the screen now has no borders, but the print still came out with borders.

Can anyone suggest what I need to do to resolve this?

Thanks in advance.

Jon

Tell us about the image itself?

What are the pixel dimensions?

Oh, and when you it still prints with borders...............are they the same all the way round or are they irregular?

Pixel dimensions - you've got me there, I'm quite new to this so I'm afraid to say I don't know. The borders are irregular.

Pixel dimensions - you've got me there, I'm quite new to this so I'm afraid to say I don't know. The borders are irregular.

Hmmm! OK

Please tell me:-
What camera and have you done anything to the picture on the computer and if so using what program?

At this stage I think you are trying to print a picture taken in one ratio (X x Y pixel dimensions) to paper that that is, so to speak, a different ratio e.g. A x B that is whay I asked about the pixel dimensions. Knowing what camera will at least tell us the sensor size and its dimensions :)

It's a Pentax K5, with an APS-C sensor. No other crops have been made in Lr, so the raw file is straight out of the camera. I understand that the image/sensor format may not be the same as the paper format. I had thought if you select borderless printing and set margins to zero - using the steps I mentioned above, then clicked zoom to fill, it would fill the page - of course this would crop a bit off the length in this case. My understanding was that you could fill any paper format with an image from any sensor format - it will just crop the image. I'm puzzled as to why it shows as borderless on the print section of Lr, but prints with a border.

OK

the sensor is 1.5:1 and the paper is 1.41:1

I do not print at home so have never printed from LR but my thoughts are:-
The printer is honouring the LR instruction and printing at the full resolution of the image...............it is not 'filling to paper size'. That latter "command" I am more used to seeing in (in my case) the Windows printer settings when printing pdf docs.

As surmised it is behaving the way I thought............................but I will "pass" on other comment for those with home printer usage experience, perhaps @sk66 might pop-in, to advise.

Hi folks,
Can anyone help me with this. I have chosen the paper size in page setup (210x297mm - A4) and set the margins to zero, set the margins to zero in the print module of Lr. The image on the screen now has no borders, but the print still came out with borders.

Can anyone suggest what I need to do to resolve this?

Thanks in advance.

Jon
Borderless printing is a function of the printer, not Lightroom. Which printer do you have? Is there an option in printer settings that says A4 borderless. I'm pretty certain if your printer doesn't have the option then you wont be able to print borderless.

Last edited:
Hi there, it's a Canon Pixma 100 and the borderless option exists as an option - see screenshot. I'd be pretty surprised if the Pixma doesn't support this.Screen Shot 2019-02-25 at 18.15.32.png

It's a printer setting... select the printer options button and then set it for borderless. On a mac it will be under "layout"... on windows it will probably be a check box somewhere w/in the options/pages.

Screen Shot 2019-02-25 at 1.12.06 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-02-25 at 1.15.28 PM.jpg

Yes I have that selected - as per your Mac screenshot - I also have the paper size (as indicated in mm on the canon a4 paper box) - see attachmentScreen Shot 2019-02-25 at 18.25.11.png

I notice that the "amount of extension" slider is greyed out for me
Screen Shot 2019-02-25 at 18.41.42.png

I noticed that my driver doesn't seem to save the settings... I.e. I need to use the print button w/in the printer driver rather than closing it and using LR's print button. However, if I save the settings as a new preset, and then select the preset, the driver retains the changes.

I origninally set it to "manage custom sizes" then entered the actual size of the A4 paper (saw someone on Youtube do it that way) - I didn't see the A4 borderless option in your screenshot above. There seems to be about three different screens all offering a similar option. We have a 'borderless printing" setting, a Layout>Border>None setting and A4 Borderless setting - are all these needed? The link that Box Brownie posted suggested using the "amount of extension" slider, but mine are greyed out.

Jon

are all these needed?
IDTS... AFAIK, page setup just sets how it looks in the preview screen. But it could account for a difference between what you're seeing and the results.
And I don't have the borderless printing/extension dialogue with my printer; just the layout options.

I noticed that when I set the page setup to A4 borderless the layout switched to show a small border; which I had to remove in the layout panel options (margins/cell size).

Last edited:
I really appreciate your help with this - I'll try the A4 borderless option tomorrow :)

Hi, yes I have tried the software, but found it was just another layer of things to check and tick on top of all the ones in Lr and was never sure whether I should leave the controls in Lr and just use the canon print software, or do both.

What paper are you using? With some media the driver will not allow borderless.

Also you need to select the A4 borderless option that Steven showed (it is under paper size)

Last edited:
OK... Busy Packing our house for a big move, will try and do some screen shots of the settings you need.

Right here are screen shots of my driver settings when printing A4 borderless....Screen Shot 2019-02-26 at 16.01.06.jpgScreen Shot 2019-02-26 at 16.01.28.jpgScreen Shot 2019-02-26 at 16.02.06.jpg

Different thought process, why do you want them borderless? What is your end result going to be?

If you're going to put them in a mount, you're going to lose some image under the mount. If you print with borders, you maintain the original aspect ratio of your image.

Printing borderless just seems like a waste of ink to me!

Hi Danny, good point. It's not that I only want borderless prints. I just wanted a particular print borderless - largely because I had a mount that was slightly too big for a print with a border on the size of paper I had. All could be solved by getting mounts to fit the prints of course, but I just wanted to use some mounts I already had.

Jon

I use the print module and a suitable template. I had ones set up for my college work as my tutor wanted borders with the filename written in them.

I could be wrong, but it may be that you can't do borderless with a custom size - and therefore your extension options are greyed out. I think the printers take the excess ink off the edges with pads and they are set to certain widths... or something like that!

So even though your custom size is set to A4, you might find it will work if you go in and choose the A4 borderless option as @sk66 suggested.

I usually print with the page set to borderless and then set my own borders in Lightroom. I believe borderless eventually fills up the waste pads which cannot be emptied and then the printer needs replacing - albeit in hopefully many years time!

Just found this on another forum which supports my thoughts above..

When printing borderless, the printer actually prints beyond the paper edges to make sure there are no white borders on the print. The ink from the "overspray" is absorbed/drained by some foam around the paper edges.

With non-standard paper sizes, there are no provisions for the overspray, hence the printer driver disables the borderless option.

I believe borderless eventually fills up the waste pads which cannot be emptied and then the printer needs replacing - albeit in hopefully many years time!
Yes, borderless printing is not good for the printer. It's better to print on the next larger paper size and trim to suit if that's an option (the "extension" setting is for the overspray).

Last edited:
Back