Bow Fiddle Sunset- Image added

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
Getting my photography mojo back and it was time to head to Bow Fiddle Rock for a sunset. Been on list for a while but first time there- cant believe I was the only togger on the shingle that night. Had been a nice day so high hopes for a decent sunset.

Pretty pleased with this one. Would like to try again with a slightly lower tide as I think I could get more of the colours of the sunset in without detracting from the rock from a slightly different location

Constructive criticism welcome.

Bow Fiddle Sunset-1 by Jim Tod, on Flickr

"Cracking" shot Jim, love the colours, well controlled exposure, great composition, and the simplicity works really well in my book.(y)

George.

Nothing to dislike there Jim. Lovely sunset colours with those super blues. Not sure if there's any more room at the bottom as that r/h rock seems cut off, although I've never been there so not sure of the layout. I would still be happy with that though.
This place is on my list when I get to that side of the island :).

"Cracking" shot Jim, love the colours, well controlled exposure, great composition, and the simplicity works really well in my book.(y)

Thanks

Nothing to dislike there Jim. Lovely sunset colours with those super blues. Not sure if there's any more room at the bottom as that r/h rock seems cut off, although I've never been there so not sure of the layout. I would still be happy with that though.
This place is on my list when I get to that side of the island :).

I work in that area during the week and knew this was there but it was a real pleasant find- I'm sure you'll enjoy when you get to the east side

Calm and peaceful. Great image.
Thanks

Lovely image and composition. I like it but feel it is a tad dark and a small lift would really help it pop a bit more.

Tried to lift it a bit with curves but lose the colours. When I get bit more time I'll move from LR to PS and try some masking to see if I can get it to pop more

The only thing I would have done is to crop a wee bit off the top but that's nitpicking ;)

Don't disagree- not much at the top of interest but I'm thinking of printing this one so standard ratio's are a starting point and if I reduce then I eithe rlose some of the rock formation or some of the colour. Will tr with some other ratios and see what I can come up with

Thanks for comments

I quite like it as is!
For one, it is a cool composition for layouts
and two, I'm a sucker when it comes to negative space.

(y)

A second image from that evening. I've taken on board Steve's comment about being a bit lighter and tried to achieve that without losing anything from the beautiful colours across the sky. Can't make up my mind whether the darker moodier one or this is my favourite.

Bow Fiddle Sunset-2 by Jim Tod, on Flickr

Again CC and thoughts welcome

Can't make up my mind whether the darker moodier one or this is my favourite.

…then maybe, Jim, the right one
is somewhere in the middle?

…then maybe, Jim, the right one
is somewhere in the middle?

It's always the same for me- 2 different images and I've missed the somewhere in the middle sweet spot. Photography as art is frustrating at times- relaxing and rewarding too but often frustrating

I've missed the somewhere in the middle sweet spot

I sometimes get trapped in such situations.
I then create as many variants as must be
and let them cook for a while… It works!

I sometimes get trapped in such situations.
I then create as many variants as must be
and let them cook for a while… It works!

I'll give it a try after I've looked at the other images, let them cook for a while and like all self respecting married togs I'll ask SWHMBO which one she wants printed, framed and hung :):)

I don't mind the blue hour feel of the first, but the second is a stronger image. For me both, particularly the first have too much dead sky space at the top of the frame. Nice work though.

Back